PDA

View Full Version : QLD illegal mods campaign

the evil twin
8th September 2018, 12:03 PM
https://www.facebook.com/7NewsGoldCoast/videos/2166658463605060/

MB
8th September 2018, 12:23 PM
Wonder if Portal Axles are legal in QLD? Business would boom if they are I would imagine mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
8th September 2018, 01:12 PM
Wonder if Portal Axles are legal in QLD? Business would boom if they are I would imagine mate.

Portals have gain national accreditation in all states for GU Patrols according to Marks 4x4 and a VASS engineer I spoke with some time ago. I would think this would be the same for the 79 series landcruisers as well.

Pete49
8th September 2018, 01:35 PM
So Qld is broke and anna alphabet decides to increase revenue. Lets hit the cash cow again and avoid upsetting our voters. Its only yobbos that do this to their cars so its a safe option. Bloody wankers.

gaddy
8th September 2018, 01:37 PM
If ya want 35s and big lifts , the local buy sell swap facebook pages have heaps , in the last few days !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ben-e-boy
8th September 2018, 01:43 PM
The revenue raising campaign for a financially incompetent government.

GQtdauto
8th September 2018, 04:24 PM
Some do go overboard with lift and tyres imo and yes you can get pretty cheap 35"s at the moment .

Hodge
8th September 2018, 05:20 PM
Ok if you're in a car with stupidly lifted posture and/ or 35"+ rubber and all the other attention seeking wank factor mods that they KNOW are illegal and will get done for.
I can understand that.

But going by a lot of posts on FB , the cops have a " Ask questions later" mentality with this operation against defective 4x4s.
Supposedly a lot are defected , even though are well within the specs because the cops aren't 100% certain ... So they send the poor sob through the hoops , and in the end he may come out clean but wasted his time and $$$.

Don't worry gents. This'll hit Vic shortly .
Mark my words.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

MB
8th September 2018, 07:47 PM
.......Don’t worry gents. This'll hit Vic shortly .
Mark my words.

Been that way for as long as I can remember around Mansfieldville Hodgey mate :-)!
Got pinned for 35’s circa 1995 on a massive blitz. They were even attacking stock 4x4’s with minor adventure damages like cracked rear quarter lenses and the like!

GQtdauto
8th September 2018, 08:07 PM
Been that way for as long as I can remember around Mansfieldville Hodgey mate :-)!
Got pinned for 35’s circa 1995 on a massive blitz. They were even attacking stock 4x4’s with minor adventure damages like cracked rear quarter lenses and the like!

Didn't a forum member get a defect notice for a set of clearview mirrors by the Mansfield cop ?

MB
8th September 2018, 08:14 PM
Does ring a bell mate, real shame it is too for the local businesses. We’re reluctant to even pass through for a coffee or fuel up even in stock work utes!

TimE
8th September 2018, 09:26 PM
........... a reason not to go to Qld ................ and avoid Mansfield!

GQtdauto
8th September 2018, 09:40 PM
Actually got caught in a sting at Coopers creek about a month ago on our trip ,plain unmarked land cruiser with roof rack and camping gear on top and towing an old shitty soft top camper trailer .
It was a joint fishery and Cop thing I got cited for not having a name tag on a shrimp net but others got a $550 fine .

MB
8th September 2018, 10:04 PM
Not sure what the answer is but maybe our ADR’s are just a little too over the top?
I get that some Yanky States are ridiculous with monster trucks on civilian roads but we really do appear to be going beyond reasonably allowable modifications for off road performance needed in many areas across this great land!

rusty_nail
8th September 2018, 10:19 PM
Does ring a bell mate, real shame it is too for the local businesses. We’re reluctant to even pass through for a coffee or fuel up even in stock work utes!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI heard from a Mansfield local when I was at Hotham, the reason it is so bad there is the local sergeants kids were out riding motorbikes and some idiot came around the corner in a 4b, cleaned them both up. Killed one and the other is permanently disabled. Pretty Savage and if that is the case you can't really blame him for a 4wd witch hunt hey.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MB
8th September 2018, 10:23 PM
An example video, Great Mate PeeBee’s 33” driven legal GQ torque beast!
https://youtu.be/gQ8blm9SgsA
35’s would not only lessen potential damage for a safe highway drive home but let’s consider those poor rocks!

MB
8th September 2018, 10:26 PM
Apologies Rusty, typing same time mate! Yes horrible thing to happen to anyone for sure!!

PeeBee
9th September 2018, 09:52 AM
An example video, Great Mate PeeBee’s 33” driven legal GQ torque beast!
https://youtu.be/gQ8blm9SgsA
35’s would not only lessen potential damage for a safe highway drive home but let’s consider those poor rocks!

You are 100% right @MB, the compliance restricts the capability for sure. I had two spots on that weekend where the diff clearance physically stopped me in my tracks, one into high Cone and the second on MudRunnerTD tunnel of paint death track. Being that little bit higher would have sorted it out and not forced me to slam thru an obstacle and rely on the diff protectors for support.

jack
9th September 2018, 11:08 AM
I’m just back from two weeks around Port Douglas and the number of cars still heading up to the cape was massive. Certainly no blitz up that way, if it was on they would have had a field day. Same if they targeted the backpacker vans.
Spoke with my mates son who’s a cop in Brisbane and he’s not aware of any of this, says it must have been a slow news day and just a local exercise as they have more important issues that 4wds.

Rossco
9th September 2018, 02:22 PM
I would like to know exactly how many accidents are caused by these vehicles as they are such a danger to the occupants and others around them as stated by the authorities. Can't think of any myself and probably safe bet there aren't any stats out there either to back up such claims.

The law is the law and they are right in enforcing it, however do believe there must be much higher priorities out there police could be spending there time in keeping us good public safe & sound. We're definitely are a nanny country and ideally having a balance, maybe not to the extreme the Yankees and Icelanders do, but a little more leanient in mods would be the go, but will never happen lol. For now i think I'll just avoid Mansfield, Gold Coast and long weekends in the high country . . .

Hodge
9th September 2018, 04:47 PM
I would like to know exactly how many accidents are caused by these vehicles as they are such a danger to the occupants and others around them as stated by the authorities. Can't think of any myself and probably safe bet there aren't any stats out there either to back up such claims.

The law is the law and they are right in enforcing it, however do believe there must be much higher priorities out there police could be spending there time in keeping us good public safe & sound. We're definitely are a nanny country and ideally having a balance, maybe not to the extreme the Yankees and Icelanders do, but a little more leanient in mods would be the go, but will never happen lol. For now i think I'll just avoid Mansfield, Gold Coast and long weekends in the high country . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkThat's what makes my blood boil the most Rossco. Their Priorities !!
Best example I can think of is the ice drug epidemic in Australia
, literally destroying some country towns and getting worse on a daily basis.
The problem is so huge it's pretty much been put behind the curtains so as not to worry the general public.
Authorities are losing the battle against it , don't know how to handle it and it's turning into a hard basket.
Resources from this so called operation against illegal 4x4 mods could be widely used there ...

But no. They're after a easy target they can use to make them selves look good on news.
And it doesn't generate any $ in fines when they catch drug crooks does it.

Money talks , bullshit walks.

Rossco
9th September 2018, 05:40 PM
Yeah bloody oath. If there is fair justification behind it such as stats backing up accidents and deaths in the case of drink driving or distracted drivers on mobiles yeah i get it and would be fair enough, but it only seems to be opinions and reasoning from cops viewpoints. Too true it is just an easy target whilst other priorities get thrown in the too hard basket. Had a chainsaw assumed stolen off the back of a work truck, the insurance ended a police report so went in and got one. "I'll send it through when it's done mate" never got it and have up hastling them till i have up there's another priority lol.

Having said that the vast majority of cops I've dealt with in my years of driving and other have been nothing but reasonable generally good folk.

Going back to dangerous vehicles I think the most accidents I have had most of which were to do with my inexperience and crappy vehicle were in my old 40 series. The thing was fairly standard definitely legal however handled and braked like s#!t, the manufacturer definitely didn't incorporate handling and braking characteristics into those things lol.

Hodge
9th September 2018, 07:33 PM
Yeah bloody oath. If there is fair justification behind it such as stats backing up accidents and deaths in the case of drink driving or distracted drivers on mobiles yeah i get it and would be fair enough, but it only seems to be opinions and reasoning from cops viewpoints. Too true it is just an easy target whilst other priorities get thrown in the too hard basket. Had a chainsaw assumed stolen off the back of a work truck, the insurance ended a police report so went in and got one. "I'll send it through when it's done mate" never got it and have up hastling them till i have up there's another priority lol.

Having said that the vast majority of cops I've dealt with in my years of driving and other have been nothing but reasonable generally good folk.

Going back to dangerous vehicles I think the most accidents I have had most of which were to do with my inexperience and crappy vehicle were in my old 40 series. The thing was fairly standard definitely legal however handled and braked like s#!t, the manufacturer definitely didn't incorporate handling and braking characteristics into those things lol.

Exactly mate!!!
I've seen my fair share of vehicles into power poles during my 18 year career in this job... Too many unfortunately.
Never ever have I seen a 4x4 modified in any way that's caused the accident. Ever.
Most time it was an out of control vehicle caused by a P plater, pretending the road is a drag circuit in his first car bought by their mum. Majority being lowered commondoors and falcons.

But you're right. I would also LOVE to see a spreadsheet of stats on this issue to see the numbers that they are using as leverage for this stupendous exercise.
How many 2" lifted Patrols have caused grievous harm and damage caused by NOTHING but the upgrade springs and shockers.

If anything, a lot of upgrades actually improve the handling and safety of vehicle control.

mudski
10th September 2018, 04:24 PM
Exactly mate!!!
I've seen my fair share of vehicles into power poles during my 18 year career in this job... Too many unfortunately.
Never ever have I seen a 4x4 modified in any way that's caused the accident. Ever.
Most time it was an out of control vehicle caused by a P plater, pretending the road is a drag circuit in his first car bought by their mum. Majority being lowered commondoors and falcons.

But you're right. I would also LOVE to see a spreadsheet of stats on this issue to see the numbers that they are using as leverage for this stupendous exercise.
How many 2" lifted Patrols have caused grievous harm and damage caused by NOTHING but the upgrade springs and shockers.

If anything, a lot of upgrades actually improve the handling and safety of vehicle control.

A lot of the laws were written back before the invention of the wheel and just haven't been changed. One example is the good old catch can. Illegal to use because, back in the day, they were used and just vented into the atmosphere. Now they are a closed circuit system, still illegal...
Some laws have recently been revised, but now are tighter than before.

Hodge
10th September 2018, 06:51 PM
For those interested this is a good read. 8 page PDF document.

https://www.4wdqld.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/4WD-QLD-Press-Release-2018-4WDs-Targeted-in-State-Wide-Modification-Crackdown.pdf

Dhuck
10th September 2018, 09:25 PM
To reiterate, this is affecting all 4wd'ers at the moment. However it is affecting the late model vehicles more like the modded tradie utes (Rangers, Hilux's Tritons and so on. Not saying that others are not like our estranged Y62). My employer is on the board of AAAA and they are working with TMR to get this grey area cleaned up. Qld has been on the raw end for quite a while. Aligning the Codes of practice across this country has been an on going issue for far to many years and will not happen any time soon.

Hodge
11th September 2018, 07:16 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76317&stc=1

mudski
11th September 2018, 07:48 PM

Ben-e-boy
11th September 2018, 08:36 PM

AB
13th September 2018, 07:11 PM
Interesting read...

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2018/9/12/operation-lift-and-queenslands-suspension-and-lift-laws

mudski
13th September 2018, 08:24 PM
Interesting read...

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2018/9/12/operation-lift-and-queenslands-suspension-and-lift-laws

Nothing new really. Been happening in Mansfield for the last five or so years. Haha!

GQtdauto
13th September 2018, 08:25 PM
Pat Calinan media has a story on this "operation lift " that has been going on in Queensland , seems that what was legal 6 months ago is now not legal they just forgot to warn people that would be affected .
I read somewhere that someone who knew a QLD copper denied they were targeting fourbies but it seems the opposite is true .
Cops have cheat sheets on each model telling them the measurements in regards to wheels and heights etc .

Dhuck
13th September 2018, 08:47 PM
Again I say something on this from a very well positioned employer. (There are some here that know who I work for). The area of concern is the very grey area of stability control. Just give this some time (as we Qld'ers have been doing for some time now). The AAAA is in a position to bring the NCOP and QCOP in alignment. Unfortunately this is never going to be a quick resolution. Those that know me know that I wish it was with the mods I have on my Trol. To those that cannot meet the QCOP due to this issue, put your vehicle away or don't own a vehicle with Electronic Stability Control. Not to many Patrols have it anyway.

mudski
13th September 2018, 09:21 PM
Spoke to a customer today. His client. The Vic Police. In their car park was one of the cuntsables own car. A current model Colorado with a big lift and 35's! MY customer jokingly questioned it, and the copper just smiles and said nothing.

PeeBee
13th September 2018, 09:33 PM
Yep, when they get that jesus badge, they are untouchable.

Plasnart
13th September 2018, 10:21 PM
Yep, when they get that jesus badge, they are untouchable.

Me in secure police car park talking to cop arriving before shift: "Hey mate, nice Patrol. I drive one too."
Cop: Explains in detail everything done and how much he loves it.
Me: "I didn't think this particular mod was legal. Am I mistaken?"
Cop: Goes vague.

PeeBee
13th September 2018, 11:02 PM
Its called selective compliance. If he gets pulled up, 'ok mate, I'm in the job, off he goes into the sunset.

Plasnart
13th September 2018, 11:32 PM
Its called selective compliance. If he gets pulled up, 'ok mate, I'm in the job, off he goes into the sunset.

Private vehicle but Freddy in the wallet.

Disclaimer: I have utmost respect for the job cops do. I've worked in and around them for a while but I would rather clean toilets for a living than put up with the shit these guys go through. Total respect. But yes there's double standards cop-to-cop.

GQtdauto
13th September 2018, 11:44 PM
Just remember all this started by those responsible in government changing the legislation.

Plasnart
13th September 2018, 11:57 PM
Just remember all this started by those responsible in government changing the legislation.

Too true! Have you watched the 1970's british comedy Yes Minister? Bloody crackup but also a reflection of how the Westminster system works. The govt departments drive the bus from the back seat while the pollies sit in the drivers seat and waffle shit to the public out the window.

Hodge
14th September 2018, 06:57 AM
Am I missing something here.
So this operation primarily targets suspension lifts and / or larger tyres fitted to utility 4x4s with ESC. Ok, after all it is called operation lift.

But I've noticed that most if not all people who got defected up there and made a post on FB or forums , actually got defected for other miscellaneous mods . Catch cans , pillar pods, larger bonnet scoops , too many lights or lights fitted in illegal spots etc ...
I'm yet to actually read someone got a defect for a lift kit.

mudski
14th September 2018, 08:11 AM
Am I missing something here.
So this operation primarily targets suspension lifts and / or larger tyres fitted to utility 4x4s with ESC. Ok, after all it is called operation lift.

But I've noticed that most if not all people who got defected up there and made a post on FB or forums , actually got defected for other miscellaneous mods . Catch cans , pillar pods, larger bonnet scoops , too many lights or lights fitted in illegal spots etc ...
I'm yet to actually read someone got a defect for a lift kit.

I did see a pic somewhere, sometime of a Ranger with a big lift and 35's being towed....

the evil twin
14th September 2018, 10:54 AM
The ESC debate is because QLD are looking to review the ban on larger tyres/wheels on ESC vehicles and allowing (I think) placard + 25mm.
I think (again I am not sure) that the review is due sometime in October.

That means that for the ESC vehicles the defect today may well be totally OK in a matter of weeks.

Brissieboy
19th September 2018, 03:36 PM
I'd really like to know on what basis the installation of a closed system catch can is illegal as has been stated here.
Under what legislation?
Has anyone received or actually seen a real fine issued for this (not stories from facebook or a second or third hand tales)?
Does anyone have anything definitive that really clarifies the legality (or otherwise) of a catch can?
Does an installation just require certification to be legal?
At the rate we are going, it will soon be illegal to top up your own radiator.

mudski
19th September 2018, 05:15 PM
I'd really like to know on what basis the installation of a closed system catch can is illegal as has been stated here.
Under what legislation?
Has anyone received or actually seen a real fine issued for this (not stories from facebook or a second or third hand tales)?
Does anyone have anything definitive that really clarifies the legality (or otherwise) of a catch can?
Does an installation just require certification to be legal?
At the rate we are going, it will soon be illegal to top up your own radiator.

They are using an outdated law. When I had my Patrol engineered I was told to remove the catch can for said reasons. The outdated law is going from when catch cans were originally installed and vented into the atmosphere, not recirculated back into the air intake.

GQtdauto
20th September 2018, 08:57 AM
Queensland roads minister throws the cops under a bus over this issue and in true political double speak claims it's only affecting their drivers not interstate drivers although the brief says otherwise .

https://mr4x4.com.au/interstate-vehicles-will-not-be-defected/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Update%3A+QLD+Government+on+interstate +4WDs&utm_campaign=PC+Newsletter+%23227

gaddy
20th September 2018, 02:58 PM
Released today. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/119.jpg

Hodge
20th September 2018, 03:52 PM
Released today. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/09/119.jpg

Re: Latest media release

So hang on...

All those vehicles that got defected over the last few weeks will be legal next month? Am I understanding this correctly?

NissanGQ4.2
20th September 2018, 04:18 PM
Re: Latest media release

So hang on...

All those vehicles that got defected over the last few weeks will be legal next month? Am I understanding this correctly?

Depends what they where defected for , but yep if it was just defected for a lift that is withing the new regs they will be legal when the law changes. Good way 2 make some quick cash defect everyone before it changes

GQtdauto
20th September 2018, 04:51 PM
Sounds like enough people and the right people kicked up a stink and the govt backed down

the evil twin
20th September 2018, 07:00 PM
Sounds like enough people and the right people kicked up a stink and the govt backed down

As per the first paragraph of the media release "over the last few months" the panel to change the Qld COP had been convened for yoinks.
This alignment was always going to be the result.

The current blitz was one last revenue raising fling before October.
Note that the pollys are all saying look at us, look at us, we listened, we are the good guys, naughty naughty coppers!

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it... and... because it involves Pollys you all know I am right too!
Dirty stinking pig trough snorting oxygen theiving excuses for humanity they are...

GQtdauto
20th September 2018, 07:31 PM
As per the first paragraph of the media release "over the last few months" the panel to change the Qld COP had been convened for yoinks.
This alignment was always going to be the result.

The current blitz was one last revenue raising fling before October.
Note that the pollys are all saying look at us, look at us, we listened, we are the good guys, naughty naughty coppers!

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it... and... because it involves Pollys you all know I am right too!
Dirty stinking pig trough snorting oxygen theiving excuses for humanity they are...

Unusual that someone from WA can talk so much sense !

Government
20th September 2018, 07:45 PM
Government has heard the people and responded.

the evil twin
20th September 2018, 07:54 PM
Government has heard the people and responded.

I notice you don't have any 'friends' yet... wanna buy some ?

Go onnnnn, you know that it works, otherwise the pollies would have to roll in road kill to get a Dog to like 'em

Brissieboy
20th September 2018, 08:37 PM
Don't hold back ET - tell us what you really think.:smileyvault-cute-bi

GQtdauto
20th September 2018, 08:42 PM
I notice you don't have any 'friends' yet... wanna buy some ?

Go onnnnn, you know that it works, otherwise the pollies would have to roll in road kill to get a Dog to like 'em

You were spot on ET ,and the minister responsible did throw the cops under a bus .
I'm jealous of your state mate , so many fantastic areas we can't wait to get back there again .
As for friends and likes let's not turn this great forum into facebook !

mudski
21st September 2018, 05:11 PM
You were spot on ET ,and the minister responsible did throw the cops under a bus .
I'm jealous of your state mate , so many fantastic areas we can't wait to get back there again .
As for friends and likes let's not turn this great forum into flogbook !

Fixed it for ya...

Government
23rd September 2018, 08:31 PM
Now that we've milked the lift cow its time to move on. Heads up in the next 'safety' blitz we will be targeting vehicles sporting fake rear lights. Factory or not fake rear lights have no place on our road. Patrols, Pajeros and so look out!!!!.

Think of the Children!!

GQtdauto
23rd September 2018, 10:25 PM
Now that we've milked the lift cow its time to move on. Heads up in the next 'safety' blitz we will be targeting vehicles sporting fake rear lights. Factory or not fake rear lights have no place on our road. Patrols, Pajeros and so look out!!!!.

Think of the Children!!

Actually seen a troopy that had black plastic covers where the rear lights usually sit .

Brissieboy
2nd October 2018, 03:26 PM
I contacted TMR (Qld) to see if I could get a clarification on the catch can legality issue.
Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) about aftermarket oil separate/catch cans.

The Vehicle Safety Standards Branch of the Department of Infrastructure and Transport, in Canberra, administers the Motor Vehicle Standards Act that requires all vehicles, when first supplied to the market, comply with all applicable Australian Design Rules (ADRs). The ADRs set the minimum safety and emission standards for vehicles. However, Queensland legislation requires that vehicles continue to comply with the ADRs applicable when the vehicle was first supplied to the market in order for them to be registered.

This modification would not require certification or approval from TMR providing the oil separator/catch can does not increase the gas emissions beyond the requirements in the ADRs and does not vent to the atmosphere.

Please find attached link to ADR79/04 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/F2011L02016

I trust this information is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Peter

Vehicle Standards | Standards and Accreditation
Transport Regulation Branch | Department of Transport and Main Roads
Floor 9 | 61 Mary Street Brisbane 4000
PO Box 673 | Fortitude Valley Qld 4006
P: 13 23 80
E: vehiclestandards@tmr.qld.gov.au
W: www.tmr.qld.gov.au"

Fireblade
2nd October 2018, 03:38 PM
so catch cans are ok then,
are the patrol body tail lights really being targeted?
i got them fitted with extra lights thinking it make me more visible and safer at night.

Hodge
2nd October 2018, 06:04 PM
i got them fitted with extra lights thinking it make me more visible and safer at night.They never were targeted.
It's how they roll off the factory/dealer floor.

mudski
3rd October 2018, 05:19 PM
i got them fitted with extra lights thinking it make me more visible and safer at night.

I doubt they are. He's talking from the wrong orifice I think.

GQtdauto
3rd October 2018, 07:54 PM
I doubt they are. He's talking from the wrong orifice I think.

Cops drive Patrols with the same tail light setup , it's illegal or should I say against Australian road rules to have tail lights obscured from a 45 degree angle from behind .
Which is why if there is a spare wheel on the back door unless it's perfectly in the centre the tail lights have to be below and visible ,so anyone who has modded their tail lights and put globes in them are in contravention of the Australian design rules and could theoretically be booked by a Mansfield type copper .

mudski
3rd October 2018, 08:52 PM
Cops drive Patrols with the same tail light setup , it's illegal or should I say against Australian road rules to have tail lights obscured from a 45 degree angle from behind .
Which is why if there is a spare wheel on the back door unless it's perfectly in the centre the tail lights have to be below and visible ,so anyone who has modded their tail lights and put globes in them are in contravention of the Australian design rules and could theoretically be booked by a Mansfield type copper .

That law has zero weight in it. As long as the bumper lights are working no issue. My rear dummie lights have globes in them and it passed an engineers report and a RWC. You see other 4WD's with extra rear lights mounted on roof racks, trucks etc with extra lights. I think the user Government is just full of hot air. It would be interesting to know who this person actually is and their real reason for posting on our forum.

GQtdauto
3rd October 2018, 08:58 PM
It's a stupid law to start with mate as to the motives of the poster who knows but I'm sure we've covered the tail light ADR rules before but might have picked it up elsewhere .

Brissieboy
3rd October 2018, 09:07 PM
,so anyone who has modded their tail lights and put globes in them are in contravention of the Australian design rules and could theoretically be booked by a Mansfield type copper .

I have lit up my 'blank' tail lights (with the original ones remaining in the bumper). If I get booked or defected for this I would take it to court. Tail lights on each side definitely ARE visible at 45 degrees - just not all of them. I would contend that the additional ones only add to safety with absolutely no negative impact - just like the additional high level tail lights required by some mine sites.
Most judges/magistrates have a bit of common sense and would likely throw this out and might even say something appropriate to the prosecuting officer - that sort of thing has happened before.

GQtdauto
3rd October 2018, 10:05 PM
Was going through the relevant legislation trying to find the exact wording but internet here is too friggin slow but from what I've seen you'd need to be an expert in legal ,scientific and automotive design terms to work out what the hell they are on about half the time .
Will keep trying though and must find out if it's all our rules or rules as dictated by the UN as they get a mention .

Brissieboy
4th October 2018, 08:08 AM
ADR 49/00 covers the lights but I didn't find any specific details about 'additional' or multiple tail lights which would help here.
It gives specs for brightness and angles etc for the various lights, but doesn't actually say ALL so I think it could be interpreted either way. If you have a light that does not quite meet these specs (it's around 30 degrees with the standard 17" tyre), but an original factory fitted one on the same side that does, is that a no-no?
As I said in a previous post, I would argue that it adds to safety.

the evil twin
4th October 2018, 11:23 AM
Been thru the process a while back and it is several hours of my life I'll not get back.
The gist of the argument was this (and it also applies to all additional repeaters you see on mine spec vehicles etc).

ADRs specify the lights for each specific function are required to be visible thru certain arcs.
Mr Nissan removed the offending lights from the series 2 GQ onwards as otherwise the vehicle became non-compliant when the ADR was issued.
Mr Nissan removed the existing lights at factory and replaced them with the lights in the bumper as the existing lights would not have complied even with complying bumper 'repeaters' fitted.
Joe Punter has then fitted non-complying lights which technically are a defect no matter the source (factory or accessory manuf).
You could add a dozen rear lights in various places that when taken as a whole are compliant for visibility arcs but which as individuals are not and every individual light that does not cover the entire arc as req'd by ADR would be non-compliant and therefore defective.

Note that it isn't just Patrols affected, there are a few different vehicles of the time

The mermaids reckon the bottom line was this... Any light added must meet the purpose and specs of its function IE it doesn't matter if you already have lights that do, if you add more then they must as well, colour, visibility, intensity etc etc

Not sayin what is right, wrong, stupid, enforced or ignored... just sayin' what the Guvmunt dudes told me and, begrudgingly, to their credit they said the only dudes they defect are the ones that had overly bright or weird coloured lights and turned a blind eye to 'normal' dudes.

Government
8th October 2018, 08:19 PM
Guys sorry, my comment about the rear lights being targeted was a tongue in cheek joke. That all, just a joke

Government
8th October 2018, 08:24 PM
However i do call bullshit on this issue. Yes the cops did a campain on the coast. After that, nothing but a media beatup everytime someone sure a booze bust or 4x4 pulled over. Like the 'Springwood' bust on facebook. Nothing in the photos other than a patrol parked in a car park at night. No ticket in the photo to back the claim up or anything to even show it happened in Springwood.
If this was such a big issue where is everyone who supposedly got busted?? Plenty of 'i saw' and 'mate just got done' but no one saying 'i got done'. Facebook crap at its best.

Plasnart
8th October 2018, 09:38 PM
Guys sorry, my comment about the rear lights being targeted was a tongue in cheek joke. That all, just a joke

Is Mr RLI making a comeback?? Lol

the evil twin
8th October 2018, 10:58 PM

Ooooohhhh, your such a naughty boy!!!

Plasnart
8th October 2018, 11:17 PM
Ooooohhhh, your such a naughty boy!!!

Fractals are interesting eh?

Government
8th October 2018, 11:20 PM
Whats RLI?

Ben-e-boy
9th October 2018, 06:01 AM

Settle down trendsetter

mudski
9th October 2018, 08:00 AM
Whats RLI?

An ex member who made a habit of telling tall stories, then he was exposed.

the evil twin
9th October 2018, 12:22 PM

As opposed to an ex who had a habit of exposing a member when he told tall stories (that gets 5 to 10 in the big house if there are under 16's in the audience)

GQtdauto
9th October 2018, 01:27 PM

Have a brother like that but we worked out years ago if his lips were moving and sound was coming out he was lying .

mudski
9th October 2018, 02:24 PM
As opposed to an ex who had a habit of exposing a member when he told tall stories (that gets 5 to 10 in the big house if there are under 16's in the audience)

Hahaha!.....