PDA

View Full Version : oil from turbo outlet hose

Fireblade
4th September 2018, 02:55 PM
hi,
i have a 2008 patrol wagon zd30 crd
has a provent 200 for the last 15,000km no issues
so about 8 months ago i replaced the warped exhaust manifold and after wards the turbo outlet hose slit and i replaced them with non genuine forfront industries hoses
https://www.forefrontindustries.com.au/product-page/nissan-patrol-gu-crd-intercooler-piping-kit-zd30
now im finding oil slowly coming from the turbo outlet hose, i originally thought the hose was melting but its not sticky its more oily.
ive taken it apart and cleaned it but after a short trip oil is back. catchcan is still catching oil though.
any ideas?

thanks

regards adam

mudski
4th September 2018, 05:00 PM
What filter is in the catch can? The stainless washable type?

Fireblade
4th September 2018, 05:08 PM
its the standard type that came with the unit, looks like a paper webbing type.
i think they have a service life of 40,000km are you thinking the element is to soggy and oil mist is getting through?

mudski
4th September 2018, 05:18 PM
These motors are a heavy breather. You can clean the element in petrol, then wash in hot soapy water then leave to dry. The filter could be blocking up... Or the turbo is leaking oil. Is there any oil pooling in the inlet side of the turbo?

Fireblade
4th September 2018, 05:24 PM
i will have to check after work and let you know, i will take a photo of the element to confirm i can carry out your cleaning method on the filter that i have.

Fireblade
4th September 2018, 07:22 PM
No oil on the inlet side at all I’ve cleaned it down again and will re check another time

mudski
4th September 2018, 07:44 PM
i will have to check after work and let you know, i will take a photo of the element to confirm i can carry out your cleaning method on the filter that i have.

There is only two types of elements for the Provent 200. Stainless steel washable mesh type and the original fibre element type. The stainless filters are garbage. Its a good idea to have a second filter spare and every service remove and wash the element and put the dry one in.

Fireblade
5th September 2018, 10:11 AM
i would say ive got the original fibre element type, are you saying i can clean this out?
i just thought it would fall apart if i sprayed degreaser on it

mudski
5th September 2018, 11:24 AM
i would say ive got the original fibre element type, are you saying i can clean this out?
i just thought it would fall apart if i sprayed degreaser on it

Definately! I use petrol to clean it, I found its the only thing that will clean it good. Then use hot soapy water then let it dry. Mine have been washed maybe six times each so far and still good. Just discoloured from the oil thats all. Some just roll it in news paper to draw the oil out...

Fireblade
5th September 2018, 12:17 PM
nice i will give it a go, makes sense i guess. i know the catch can isnt a sure 100% solution to catch 100% of the oil mist, and once the filter is soaked with oil there must be a small amount coming off the element that travels the intake path.
im not seeing alot of oil, but im glad i questioned it because now i know i can clean the element

thanks

mudski
5th September 2018, 01:22 PM
nice i will give it a go, makes sense i guess. i know the catch can isnt a sure 100% solution to catch 100% of the oil mist, and once the filter is soaked with oil there must be a small amount coming off the element that travels the intake path.
im not seeing alot of oil, but im glad i questioned it because now i know i can clean the element

thanks

mine gets cleaned every 5k service regardless. I just make it part of the service interval now.