PDA

View Full Version : MettersGU

MettersGU
24th August 2018, 06:14 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry this is a little long winded.
Excellent forum I've learnt a lot. I am semi retired farmer, earthmoving contractor/miner from Bindoon WA (some of the older members may remember Bindoon Rock that put our little town on the map) currently motorhoming around Oz with the patrol behind.
I have a 2001 GU ZD30 Patrol Wagon "The original grenade" bought secondhand with what looked like a new engine, Hmm and yes it went bang with the tiniest hole in No3 piston. I rebuilt it myself and blocked EGR, adjusted boost all was well for a little bit. Then limp mode raised it's ugly head and I took it to a Mechanic to read codes (I was newbie then) Throttle position sensor came up so after replacing sender and sensor he couldn't fault it. 50Ks into the 80ks home it's limping again so fitted Dawes valve, boost gauge, catch can cleaned MAF and all good for a long time.
Lost power while in Exmouth last year, very sluggish take off and wouldn't hold top gear and battling to hold 100kph.
A mechanic in Broome put his computer on it and the MAF was at fault, put the old one in from bang and away she went again.
When I rebuilt it originally I didn't know about the stretch head bolts and was a bit miffed when tensioning the head (with the old bolts - nothing in the manual about new ones) so she started using coolant and had an oil leak so I bought new bolt and gasket kit for a fix up.
In the meantime both my knees gave up the ghost so I got a pair of new titanium ones - no grease nipples.
Was in Bendigo in March and she starts limping on acceleration (mainly due to the cold I reckon ok when warm) so I sent it to the shop for head gasket replacement as the knees wouldn't let me do it myself. $4000 later they give it back and could hardly drive it out of the yard. Went around the corner and looked under the bonnet and the fitter had botched the plumbing of the dawes, I fixed that and readjusted the needle valve and she seemed ok. She went onto the trailer and got used in Coober Pedy running like a bucket of sh*t, Just like MAF gone again, replaced with new one still no power. Doesn't lose coolant though.
We are now in Darwin still having trouble and am searching the forum madly looking for a fix. MAF voltages are good, been cleaned, no faults showing, air cleaner good, fuel filter good, all vacuum hoses good and seem in the right places, boost is low 10psi max, motor very sluggish and only high idles to 3400rpm BUT if I leave a vacuum hose off it revs quicker and to 5000 without boost, no smoke just gutless all round. Oh power light comes on on the A/T switch when trying to take off and accelerate as well.
Any ideas please I haven't got much hair left to pull and I probably should have put this in a thread somewhere but new member.
Thanks in advance.

Dhuck
24th August 2018, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
24th August 2018, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

You might get a better response by asking questions in a different section as a lot of people don't read the intros.

Safari-MI
25th August 2018, 03:37 AM
Welcome to the forum!

4bye4
30th August 2018, 10:29 AM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.