PDA

View Full Version : Dawes Valve

nickpeacock36
18th May 2011, 09:02 PM
I have finally got all the parts top fit my Dawes and needle valve. I just wanted to let people know how good 3 Bar Racing customere service is. I ordered the TDI valve and it seems that it got lost in transit. a quick email to 3 Bar and one was on its way via recorded delivery for no extra. I was told to pass the other on to a forum member if it turns up so if it does its first come first served.
Now for some more head scratching and cursing as i try to fit it.
Do i have to adjust the turbo back to where it was before blocking the EGR?

big_fletch
18th May 2011, 09:21 PM
I got my dawes valve though same company and got excellent customer service from them..
Depending on where your screw is set for boost on the turbo it might not need to be touched again..
Set up your dawes and needle valve and adjust after that.. mine sits about 10-12psi at 100-110km/h and the exhaust temps are around 260-300 degrees (I don't have an exhaust or chip either)

snicko
18th May 2011, 09:27 PM
Hi Nickpeacock36 I want to get Dawes Valves so where is 3 Bar Racing?

big_fletch
18th May 2011, 09:31 PM

The company is over in America, I ordered mine direct off there site.. was about $60 delivered
http://www.3barracing.com/product_8.htm

Sir Roofy
18th May 2011, 09:52 PM
the company is over in america, i ordered mine direct off there site.. Was about $60 delivered
http://www.3barracing.com/product_8.htm

thanks fletch ill keep this for down the track

nickpeacock36
18th May 2011, 10:25 PM
I got my dawes valve though same company and got excellent customer service from them..
Depending on where your screw is set for boost on the turbo it might not need to be touched again..
Set up your dawes and needle valve and adjust after that.. mine sits about 10-12psi at 100-110km/h and the exhaust temps are around 260-300 degrees (I don't have an exhaust or chip either)

Ok cheers Fletch, will have to keep an eye on boost and temp then.

nickpeacock36
18th May 2011, 10:28 PM

Sorry Snicko, i wasn't ignoring you. i left the pc on and was watching a racing car is born ont telly. Big Fletch is spot on with the address.

snicko
18th May 2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry Snicko, i wasn't ignoring you. i left the pc on and was watching a racing car is born ont telly. Big Fletch is spot on with the address.

Thats OK..I would be very interested as how you go as I need the valve but no one in my life is listening.........

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 07:54 AM
Thats OK..I would be very interested as how you go as I need the valve but no one in my life is listening.........
Ok Mate, Will let you know. Cheer up, you do own a Trol after all.

big_fletch
19th May 2011, 08:03 AM
Ok cheers Fletch, will have to keep an eye on boost and temp then.

You might find this interesting, is on Chaz homepage, gives you great detail into installing dawes and needle valve
http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%20Boost%20Controller.htm

Sir Roofy
19th May 2011, 10:04 AM
You might find this interesting, is on Chaz homepage, gives you great detail into installing dawes and needle valve

getting there mate

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks again. I have been studying the diagram. I realise now that i need a T piece to connect the Boost guage and the valve from the intercooler pipe. Off to Pirtek again.

big_fletch
19th May 2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks again. I have been studying the diagram. I realise now that i need a T piece to connect the Boost guage and the valve from the intercooler pipe. Off to Pirtek again.

Haha its all the joys mate, let us know how you go when its all done..

P.s. Don't worry Roofy, I'm sure you will get your diesel soon mate

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 07:46 PM
Ok the kit is all fitted (right i hope ) Chaz talks about setup on his excellent website and says to start the car and while it idles adjust the needle valve until the actuator arm comes off its stop then wind it back half turn or something like that. i dont know if i'm looking at the right thing but it doesnt seem to move. can any body help?

big_fletch
19th May 2011, 07:57 PM
Ok the kit is all fitted (right i hope ) Chaz talks about setup on his excellent website and says to start the car and while it idles adjust the needle valve until the actuator arm comes off its stop then wind it back half turn or something like that. i dont know if i'm looking at the right thing but it doesnt seem to move. can any body help?

I didn't worry about that so much, I just adjusted mine till I got it about right by my books.. Just takes a little bit of time and adjusting to get it right.. I set my dawes valve and then drove at 100km's an hour and played with the needle valve till the boost sat where I wanted it to

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 08:07 PM
I didn't worry about that so much, I just adjusted mine till I got it about right by my books.. Just takes a little bit of time and adjusting to get it right.. I set my dawes valve and then drove at 100km's an hour and played with the needle valve till the boost sat where I wanted it to
How did you set the dawes valve? I have pretty much left it as it came. Unfortunately it was loose, so i guess it could have moved.

big_fletch
19th May 2011, 08:19 PM
How did you set the dawes valve? I have pretty much left it as it came. Unfortunately it was loose, so i guess it could have moved.

I just drove at 100km/h and watched where the boost stopped rising at.. mine is set for 17psi max..
Screwing valve in with make boost higher, screwing out will make boost lower

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 08:25 PM
I just drove at 100km/h and watched where the boost stopped rising at.. mine is set for 17psi max..
Screwing valve in with make boost higher, screwing out will make boost lower

Okely dokely, Im off for a drive. Cheers Fletch.

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 08:56 PM
Ok Very short drive. Hardly any boost and high EGTs (had to back off and come home) it didnt matter where the needle valve was set.
HELP

big_fletch
19th May 2011, 09:10 PM
Ok I would be screwing the dawes valve in a couple of turns and trying that, sounds like dawes is open to far

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 09:53 PM
Ok I would be screwing the dawes valve in a couple of turns and trying that, sounds like dawes is open to far

Spot on again mate. Much better this time after stopping to adjust more and more but still only getting upto 12PSI max 6 - 8 cruising at 100KPH Do you think i need to adjust the turbo? i wound it in after blocking the EGR. Maybe i went too far. What do you think

big_fletch
19th May 2011, 10:24 PM
I would go in a little more with the dawes valve and see what happens then, if boost won't go any higher then I would wind the turbo screw back a little

YNOT
19th May 2011, 10:28 PM
Adjusting the dawes is easier so I would adjust that a bit more first and see what effect that has. How fast is the boost coming up/spooling?

Tony

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 11:20 PM
Adjusting the dawes is easier so I would adjust that a bit more first and see what effect that has. How fast is the boost coming up/spooling?

Tony

I have adjusted the Dawes quite a lot tony. Boost is quite quick if i stick the right boot down, not as quick as it used to be though.

nickpeacock36
19th May 2011, 11:26 PM
I would go in a little more with the dawes valve and see what happens then, if boost won't go any higher then I would wind the turbo screw back a little
Ok mate, as i said to tony, i have already gone quite alot but will try again in the AM

YNOT
20th May 2011, 07:15 AM
It is starting to sound like you may need to readjust the VNT grub screw to get full boost. If you do readjust the grub screw back to where it was and still can not get full boost the next step is to carefully open up the dawes valve and stretch the spring a bit.

Tony

big_fletch
20th May 2011, 08:11 AM
I agree with Tony, sounds like the grub screw you moved after blocking the egr needs to be screwed out again..
Then should be able to get your max boost set properly

nickpeacock36
20th May 2011, 06:28 PM
Adjusted the turbo and the Dawes. It now boosts to 14-15 and sits aroud 6-8 at 100. If climbing it will stay around 14 Temps are good highest was 450 while climbing (steep hill too )
Does that sound ok or would it be better to stretch the spring (as Tony suggested)to get it to boost higher?

YNOT
20th May 2011, 06:32 PM
Did you adjust the grub screw back to its original position?
I'd be trying to get boost to 16-17.

Tony

nickpeacock36
20th May 2011, 07:13 PM

Tony
I stuffed up when i adjusted it, i thought it had a yellow line on it, but it turns out it is thread lock so i wasnt sure how much i turned it. i turned it 360 this morning and screwed the dawes as small as it can go.

nickpeacock36
31st May 2011, 07:19 PM

Tony
Ok. i finally sorted it (although it drove ok before) i streched the spring in the Dawes valve as you suggested and am now getting 17PSI so thanks for the tip T