PDA

View Full Version : Smoke detector for Diesel Heater

AB
15th July 2018, 07:28 PM
I bought a portable diesel heater a while ago (well known brand).

Long story short and for some unknown reason on its first use the heater malfunctioned and plumes of white smoke bucketed into my tent as the smoke was that intense it sucked through the inlet into the tent.

yep, scary stuff, thank god the kids weren't in there alone.

Anyways, it was fully replaced no questions and this one works fine.

Obviously I had been bit so I am running a standard smoke detector inside the tent, van, etc in case that happens again.

My question is, is a standard smoke detector enough or should i get carbon Monoxide detector or are they same same?

Like this one from Bunnings or is my standard house use one fine to use?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/first-alert-photoelectric-carbon-monoxide-smoke-alarm_p4211486

I did hold the detector 2 inches away from the exhaust and after 10 seconds it did go off but just checking if I should get a dedicated one?

Yes, plans are looking into a better space between exhaust and inlet obviously but now that this has happened I'm dedicated to ensure total fool proof system as I can't get over the fact kiddies could've been in there alone, etc.

nissannewby
15th July 2018, 07:37 PM
Diesel doesnt produce carbon monoxide.

Get a standard photoelectric/ionisation smoke alarm.

PeeBee
15th July 2018, 07:42 PM
I would contact the manufacturer first to get the emissions data as this device would have to comply with some Aus standard. Then I would clearly define how You intend to have it set up in each scenario. I would take a trip down to either a cfa station with career firefighters who are accredited fire fighters or to an Mfb station. I would not rely on a volunteer station as I would think the technical competency may not be there. Whatever you do, don't rely on feedback from forums such as this unless the responders are suitably qualified and experienced. As you have stated, the stakes are too high. Hope this Helps Andy.

AB
15th July 2018, 07:42 PM
Diesel doesnt produce carbon monoxide.

Get a standard photoelectric/ionisation smoke alarm.

Yeah wow really?

They must produce some amount of Carbon Monoxide surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nissannewby
15th July 2018, 07:48 PM
Yeah wow really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon dioxide. An example of this is testers for combustion gas in cooling systems for leaking head gaskets. A different media is required for diesel as it doesnt produce monoxide like a petrol.

Winnie
15th July 2018, 08:09 PM
Yeah wow really?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI can get a Brooks rep to contact you if you like? They are the experts and will know which product is best suited for your application. They are the best available
https://www.brooks.com.au

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

happygu
16th July 2018, 12:50 AM
I can get a Brooks rep to contact you if you like? They are the experts and will know which product is best suited for your application. They are the best available
https://www.brooks.com.au

That's who I work for ....

AB, I would try our EIB650iC Photo-Optical Smoke Alarm - Powered for life by a Lithium Battery for 10 Years plus.... no wires required.

Works straight away when you clip it into it's base, and can be turned off ( only if necessary ) by unclipping it out of its base.

Should give you no trouble except if the Diesel Heater is always giving off smoke

happygu
16th July 2018, 12:53 AM
We also sell Carbon Monoxide Alarms too ... these are not a legislated requirement so there are no Australian Standard approvals for CO Alarms as yet. Ours are British Standard approved, as this is the only standard for these out there

the evil twin
16th July 2018, 01:29 AM
Agree with happygu.

Go the photooptical.
Diesels do produce CO but much much lower by volume than Petty's and documented fatals of CO from Diesel Exhaust are very, very rare and I don' know of any in Oz (not to say there hasn't been tho)

You could go the CO alarm as well but the photoptical should alarm from the particulates if the Heater starts sucking exhaust.

Winnie
16th July 2018, 06:51 AM
That's who I work for ....

AB, I would try our EIB650iC Photo-Optical Smoke Alarm - Powered for life by a Lithium Battery for 10 Years plus.... no wires required.

Works straight away when you clip it into it's base, and can be turned off ( only if necessary ) by unclipping it out of its base.

Should give you no trouble except if the Diesel Heater is always giving off smokeTold you I would get someone to get in touch with you AB. Hahaha what are the odds!

jack
16th July 2018, 03:14 PM
Told you I would get someone to get in touch with you AB. Hahaha what are the odds!

And after hours too, brilliant work Winnie. Can you get Telstra to lift their game?

Winnie
16th July 2018, 03:30 PM
And after hours too, brilliant work Winnie. Can you get Telstra to lift their game?Sorry, I am good but not that good.