PDA

View Full Version : Hand Throttle

Mc4by
10th July 2018, 01:47 AM
Hi guys and gals.
I was speaking to an old Patrol owner and he asked me if I had a 'hand throttle' as they made hill climbs and descents much smoother.
I had no idea what he was talking about.
Any one know what he was on about?

garett
10th July 2018, 06:22 AM
yeah i got one but i think its meant to warm up the engine in cold weather

Winnie
10th July 2018, 07:09 AM
Hi guys and gals.
I was speaking to an old Patrol owner and he asked me if I had a 'hand throttle' as they made hill climbs and descents much smoother.
I had no idea what he was talking about.
Any one know what he was on about?I haven't got a pic but on a gq it is a little knob that you pull and twist to lock.
I use it when going up very rocky climbs, because your foot is not bouncing around on the accelerator pedal it is a much smoother climb.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

the evil twin
10th July 2018, 10:23 AM
yeah i got one but i think its meant to warm up the engine in cold weather

Nah mate... Back in the day all or almost all Landies, Tojos and Patrols had them and the purpose originally was for use with PTO equipment.
Farmer Joe also found them handy for use as well sama sama the hand throttle on his Tractor.

nipagu7
10th July 2018, 10:34 AM
the more modern cars have a switch which raises the rpm to about 1300 , it is basically a fast idle switch to warm the motor up faster in cold weather . older cars had a leaver ( landrover , i think ) or a push/pull or twist knob to raise the rpm to basically whatever you want . i had an old hilux years ago that had a twist knob type , my gu has the fast idle switch . i would much preferr the twist knob as you could easily adjust the rpm faster or slower on the go .

MB
10th July 2018, 11:38 AM
Have never been able to use the twist throttle lock on any of my GU’s as they’ve always been missing the knob when SH purchased. Does make you wonder of their GU specific fixing methods. Had an old mate with a 1981 Hilux that foolishly wound his up for cruise control on the Newell Hwy and nearly killed himself when the backing nut came loose to off throttle on a corner. My old FJ’s back then had a better choke style cable that you could easily punch in on gnarly tracks when finished climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
10th July 2018, 11:40 AM
Just don't use it as a cruise control on freeways!

Had a mate with an old hilux who used it on the freeway and coming up to a sharp corner he unscrewed it to slow down but the knob fell off and stayed on!

He shat himself coming up to the bend so turned vehicle off but didn't leave it on accessories so the steering wheel locked up on the bend lol.

Safe to say new undies were put on after that ordeal.

Hodge
10th July 2018, 12:12 PM
the more modern cars have a switch which raises the rpm to about 1300 , it is basically a fast idle switch to warm the motor up faster in cold weather . older cars had a leaver ( landrover , i think ) or a push/pull or twist knob to raise the rpm to basically whatever you want . i had an old hilux years ago that had a twist knob type , my gu has the fast idle switch . i would much preferr the twist knob as you could easily adjust the rpm faster or slower on the go .Also the modern cars with that warm up switch fitted disengage it as soon as you press the clutch and / or put it in gear. So you can't use it as a idle up a hill or anything. My 2009 crd patrol had that. But the gu 4.2 has the twist hand throttle.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

nipagu7
10th July 2018, 12:51 PM
yeah , my old hilux was an old 82 model and the knob came off but it was at standstill with the engine off . i was just winding it out to see how far it went to get an idea how much load it would give when using it , it was just a spur of the moment thing , otherwise i'd probably done it on the go . i can't remember what i did but i made sure it could'nt fall off again . i've only used the gu's idle switch for cold warm up , i don't think it would be good for much else .

AB
10th July 2018, 06:26 PM
Have never been able to use the twist throttle lock on any of my GU’s as they’ve always been missing the knob when SH purchased. Does make you wonder of their GU specific fixing methods. Had an old mate with a 1981 Hilux that foolishly wound his up for cruise control on the Newell Hwy and nearly killed himself when the backing nut came loose to off throttle on a corner. My old FJ’s back then had a better choke style cable that you could easily punch in on gnarly tracks when finished climbing.

Ironic we had the same mate who did the same thing with the same name and same car....Strange ;)

MB
10th July 2018, 10:55 PM
Same Squelch.....Radio Squeals :-)

MB
10th July 2018, 11:28 PM
......But the gu 4.2 has the twist hand throttle.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

Thanks for the memory boot there Hodgey mate! Pretty sure IIRC too our first old family GU (2002 3.0L)had that elecy warm up switch only. Other family and work GU TD42s since of same era I believe have the missing agricultural use throttle knob always and still missing I think :-)

drgtr
19th July 2018, 09:13 PM
So its good for the following?:

- Rock Climbing
- Cold morning warmup for high idle?
- Not good for cruise control lol

What else?

garett
19th July 2018, 09:21 PM

- Rock Climbing

What else?

charging the wife's flat battery.

AB
19th July 2018, 09:27 PM

- Rock Climbing

What else?

Personally speaking here I don't use it all!

Rock climbing, get better accessories and learn how to climb.

Plasnart
19th July 2018, 09:37 PM

- Rock Climbing

What else?

Good for nothing except one-up feeding hay from the back of the ute, which used to be (maybe still is?) common practice on farms. Plenty of cockies beeen killed this way too.

drgtr
19th July 2018, 09:40 PM
lol seriously This is my first patrol and when I saw it.
I thought to myself. um why! haha.

Coming from a prado everything was automatic and auto idle under any load and condition.

I wonder would it help up a steep parking ramp if you were stuck halfway then had to move again?

Plasnart
19th July 2018, 09:48 PM
lol seriously This is my first patrol and when I saw it.
I thought to myself. um why! haha.

Coming from a prado everything was automatic and auto idle under any load and condition.

I wonder would it help up a steep parking ramp if you were stuck halfway then had to move again?

Basically theyre a remnant from pre ecu vehicles. Once needed but no more.

And no to your question. Handbrake start like your driving instructor taught you.

Avo
19th July 2018, 11:24 PM
Good for nothing except one-up feeding hay from the back of the ute, which used to be (maybe still is?) common practice on farms. Plenty of cockies beeen killed this way too.

its not anitque thdem farmers dont give shit up
easily

PeeBee
20th July 2018, 09:43 AM
It is handy when using the PTO winch as the winch speed is relative to engine speed on the patrol, not the gear selected. Its also handy when doing a base camp battery recharge, so the alternator is pumping in more to the batteries at say 1500rpm instead of 500rpm.

MB
20th July 2018, 08:32 PM
As Evil Twin mentioned above, old Rovers and their Capstan Winches also required outa cab RPM too was once also told from our old bloke similar to this IIRC: https://youtu.be/G-hYHMUncxY

NissanGQ4.2
20th July 2018, 08:43 PM
Basically theyre a remnant from pre ecu vehicles.

My ECU GQ had it

MB
20th July 2018, 08:50 PM
Personally speaking here I don't use it all!

Rock climbing, get better accessories and learn how to climb.

Agreed mate, get a 6.5NA with reduction gears and leave it on 550rpm idle for 1/2hr to catchup on ones morning stroll :-)

GeeYou8
22nd July 2018, 10:04 AM
When I was installing the cruise control in the old GU2 I contemplated using the engine RPM signal instead of the tail shaft RPM, that way you could set RPM & have the safety of brake cutout. Would still work as cruise control in fourth or fifth, but could also be crawl control in low gears.
Graham

AB
23rd July 2018, 06:38 PM
Actually I tell a lie!

Have used it on extreme cold snow trips for early morning trying to reach operating temp whilst finishing packing up camp.