PDA

View Full Version : radiator question

jman69
6th July 2018, 08:58 PM
Just wondering what are the pros and cons of an aluminium radiator for my patrol?

katwoman
6th July 2018, 11:22 PM
The genuine one works best. You can’t repair aluminium ones as easy. And they corrode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jman69
7th July 2018, 05:18 PM
will they still corrode if using ''Nissan'' brand coolant?

katwoman
8th July 2018, 09:58 PM
will they still corrode if using ''Nissan'' brand coolant?

That I don’t know. I guess it’s like anything. If you look after it , it will probably be fine. I just prefer the old ones.

lucus30
8th July 2018, 10:01 PM
The GU genuine radiators were aluminum with plastic tanks not sure about anything older though

katwoman
9th July 2018, 04:03 PM
The GU genuine radiators were aluminum with plastic tanks not sure about anything older though

You’re probably right, but my radiators can be repaired, whereas the new aluminium ones my rad man will not touch.

jman69
11th July 2018, 04:56 PM
Thanks for your input Katwoman. I will have to think that over untill the time comes to replace mine, won't be long it's twenty years old now. Lucus30, my patrol is a g.u. and you are right , it's just that i've heard the tanks can become brittle when theyt are old.

Wizard52
15th July 2018, 06:17 PM
, it's just that i've heard the tanks can become brittle when theyt are old.[/QUOTE]

Agree that is why I replaced original with all alloy and it really sucks the heat out. Rarely goes above 90 and usually sits on 80 degrees

mudski
23rd July 2018, 09:36 PM
Agree that is why I replaced original with all alloy and it really sucks the heat out. Rarely goes above 90 and usually sits on 80 degrees

Im using a copper brass 3 core rad. Im thinking of going back to my OEM Alloy rad. Speaking with the radiator mob who gave the copper rad a clean said the Alloy radiator transfer heat better than the copper brass rads but are a fair bit weaker. So there is some compromise in using the alloy and the copper brass rad.
Been thinking about getting a bigger alloy rad and seeing how this fairs.

reeves.milner
15th January 2023, 07:32 AM
Good info cheers

mihit
19th January 2023, 11:46 AM
A little bird has told me that the ford falcon rads (50mm alloy i think) are a good upgrade.

Personally i run the oem copper ones. if it absolutely comes to it they can be braze repaired in the bush.
I have ripped the aircon out from in front and have very open grille/bar work so the main rad is catching a lot more cold air than stock.

mihit
19th January 2023, 11:48 AM
Ah! Caught out with a 5 year old thread dredge...