PDA

View Full Version : Old new member

steelwheel
26th June 2018, 04:25 AM
G'day,

I signed up ages ago but never got around to introducing myself, so here I am. I've had a 2003 GU3 ZD30 since 2011 and have just clocked over 300,000 (bought it at 170,000). It's been a dependable beast so far, but not without it's issues. Not long after I bought it, the alternator siezed and spat out the serpentine belt, since then it's mostly been trouble free, but in recent times a few signs of old age have popped up, the dreaded death wobbles, in the last few months a severe lack of power, leaking oil, and lots of black smoke.

I've managed to fix the oil leak by replacing the intercooler, and a few days whilst installing a boost gauge discovered the cause of the lack of power, no boost. Today I discovered the cause of the lack of boost, a vacuum hose broken off and sitting free. So as of now, I'm down to just the death wobbles and the black smokescreen on takeoff.

I have a few projects ahead of me, a better late than never NADS install (got the pyro and boost gauge, just waiting for some time to connect it all up properly), and armed with a much better understanding of the VNT system a Dawes and needle valve setup, then fixing the death wobbles (So far tried: new suspension, steering damper, wheel alignment, wheel balance). In the near future will be a dual battery, and a setup for touring.

I'm looking forward to contributing more in the future, and reading what this forum has to offer!

Dhuck
26th June 2018, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Mc4by
26th June 2018, 07:29 PM
Hello and belated welcome to the forum

AB
27th June 2018, 08:07 AM
Cheers for the intro mate and feel free to ask any questions.

mudski
27th June 2018, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the forum.
The list of causes for the death wobble can be as long as your arm. As for the black smoke, if its never had an injector change I dare say that would be the first place I'd look.

4bye4
11th July 2018, 03:29 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.