PDA

View Full Version : Gday from Perth

butters
16th May 2011, 11:33 PM
How's it going?
Just picked up a '96 GQ last week :D
It's a 4.2L manual petty/gas with 320K kms on it. Pacemaker extracters which seller didn't realise :S

She's a bit rough with a few things on the to-do list...
When such&such did the gas install, they sheared off the brackets to the airbox...would it be fine to do away with it & chuck on a pod filter? They also snapped off a piece from the plastic 'hose' that goes to the airbox from around the wheel guard....don't ask :jawdrop:

Also noticed the front right wheel is leaking from the swivel hub. A 2" lift kit's on the cards so i'll probably do the swivel rebuild kits when that gets done

The bushes are pretty perished so they're on the list....bloody thing's growing already & i've only had it a week!

Probably going to chuck it in to the local for a big once over to see if I missed anything.
Hope to pick up a bit of knowledge from here :D

Cheers,
Russ :)

Clunk
16th May 2011, 11:38 PM
G'day Butters and welcome aboard mate. Where abouts in Perth do you reside???? There's quite a few of sandgropers on here mate so you're in good company.

There's a little trip being planned in a couple of weeks if you're up for a meet n greet, all the in fo can be found here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3862-Interforum-Meet-amp-Greet-trip if you're up for it.......... just pm XLR8 if you're interested.

Finly Owner
16th May 2011, 11:43 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Butter

Tim

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 12:04 AM
hiya Butters, as Clunk said, there is a fare few West Aussies on here,

and as Finly said, welcome to the nut house........................ Nissan Nut House ofcourse

plently of people here to help you save some coin of repairs and advice

cheers

DX grunt
17th May 2011, 12:07 AM
G'day Butters.

Welcome from a WA country boy. Any pics to share?

Take care out there.

Rossco
DX grunt

katwoman
17th May 2011, 12:15 AM
Welcome, mate. You will find plenty of help here !!

timbar
17th May 2011, 02:20 AM
G'day Butters - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer
Good to see another west aussie on board

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

growler2058
17th May 2011, 06:25 AM
Gday mate welcome aboard theyre a good mob here with heaps of useful info and advice. There was a discussion recently regarding pod type filters and the consensus was no do not fit pod filters for offroad use as if u can see daylight through then dust can get through

Bigrig
17th May 2011, 07:42 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it. Enjoy!!

Dhuck
17th May 2011, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Bob
17th May 2011, 08:16 AM
Welcome Butters . Join in and enjoy

big_fletch
17th May 2011, 08:49 AM
Gday and welcome to the forum mate

Fletcha

DX grunt
17th May 2011, 09:03 AM
What part of Perth are you from?

Ross

nowoolies
17th May 2011, 10:22 AM
g`day Russ
welcome on board mate
heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowoolies
Paul
p:s piccies we luv piccies
pp:s gunna come out and play on the 29th we need some more sandgropers on the trip ?????

Sir Roofy
17th May 2011, 11:20 AM
welcome aboard enjoy your stay

GUtsy ute
17th May 2011, 06:35 PM
Good to have you with us Russ,
You have come to the right place for info and tips.
Join in the conversations and put up some pics of your new toy.
Cheers Gavin

NissanGQ4.2
17th May 2011, 07:15 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Russ,

Great bunch of guys and girls on here always willing 2 help out when they can.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Cheers

Todd

Maxhead
17th May 2011, 07:23 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum Russ

butters
17th May 2011, 09:26 PM
G'day Butters and welcome aboard mate. Where abouts in Perth do you reside???? There's quite a few of sandgropers on here mate so you're in good company.

There's a little trip being planned in a couple of weeks if you're up for a meet n greet, all the in fo can be found here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3862-Interforum-Meet-amp-Greet-trip if you're up for it.......... just pm XLR8 if you're interested.

I'm in Innaloo, near Gwelup :)

G'day Butters.

Welcome from a WA country boy. Any pics to share?

Take care out there.

Rossco
DX grunt

Haha pics are on their way! It just rained so she's all clean now :D

What part of Perth are you from?

Ross

g`day Russ
welcome on board mate
heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowoolies
Paul
pp:s gunna come out and play on the 29th we need some more sandgropers on the trip ?????

Yeah yeah they're comin :P

Hmmm this Sunday week....if I get my sh!t together with the airbox then i'm keen as!

Cheers for the warm welcome fellas!

AB
17th May 2011, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, late reply...haha

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations mate, plenty of WA folks on here too!

nowoolies
17th May 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm in Innaloo, near Gwelup :)

Haha pics are on their way! It just rained so she's all clean now :D

Yeah yeah they're comin :P

Hmmm this Sunday week....if I get my sh!t together with the airbox then i'm keen as!

Cheers for the warm welcome fellas!

cool so we got piccies where are they?????hahaha
get the box fixed and get rolling gotta get the bus dirty lol

Dark 1
18th May 2011, 09:29 PM
Welcome mate have a poke around & join in when your ready.

butters
26th May 2011, 06:52 PM

It's been awhile!

I'll begin with; ouch...

My airbox problem, where the clips were sheared off, is an expensive one. The top part is $221 & the body is....wait for it....$540! :(

I don't really need a brand spanker as the box itself is fine...it's even been modded with a spring flap that pops when the gas goes boom :P (<< my tech speak)

Trying to find that trip's thread atm....really keen on it but will occy straps be fine to hold the box together?
The only problem is the top & bottom sit offset 2-3cm. Air filter sits in there fine

Cheers,
Russ

timbar
26th May 2011, 07:09 PM
It's been awhile!

I'll begin with; ouch...

My airbox problem, where the clips were sheared off, is an expensive one. The top part is $221 & the body is....wait for it....$540! :(

I don't really need a brand spanker as the box itself is fine...it's even been modded with a spring flap that pops when the gas goes boom :P (<< my tech speak)

Trying to find that trip's thread atm....really keen on it but will occy straps be fine to hold the box together?
The only problem is the top & bottom sit offset 2-3cm. Air filter sits in there fine

Cheers,
Russ

cable ties fix everything hahahahahahaha Cmon Sunday ???????

butters
26th May 2011, 07:19 PM
cable ties fix everything hahahahahahaha Cmon Sunday ???????

I was thinking occy straps but that'd probably be easier coz I can 'borrow' a few from work tomorrow! :D
Literally just sent a PM off to XLR8 about it, so hopefully :)

XLR8
26th May 2011, 08:32 PM
Hey Butters, got your PM mate and sent a reply. I was at my local wreckers a couple of weeks ago and he had an EFI air box for $110 complete. Has the backfire release too. Don't think he knew it's value !! :) Happy to give him a call and see if it's still there if you like

wildgu6
26th May 2011, 08:35 PM
Hey Russ, Welcome aboard buddy,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and dont be shy.
Sounds like you have a project on your hands, like your bikes as well, good work buddy.

stay safe & Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Pete

butters
26th May 2011, 09:13 PM
Hey Butters, got your PM mate and sent a reply. I was at my local wreckers a couple of weeks ago and he had an EFI air box for $110 complete. Has the backfire release too. Don't think he knew it's value !! :) Happy to give him a call and see if it's still there if you like

Sweet zombie jesus, yeah pleasee give him a call!
Cheers for that, looking forward to it & hopefully i'll rock up not too hungover :)

Hey Russ, Welcome aboard buddy,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and dont be shy.
Sounds like you have a project on your hands, like your bikes as well, good work buddy.

stay safe & Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Pete

Haha yeah I don't want too much of a project :P
Bloody oath mate love my bikes :D 2 strokes in particular! Got an Aprilia RS125 that I take to Barbagallo but she spit the dummy on me & did a main bearing in Collie so she's naked, cold & lonely in the garage. I'm embarassed to look at her in the state she's in :(

wildgu6
26th May 2011, 09:57 PM
Bugga about the bike buddy, there's a few here that love the bikes as well, maybe not as racey as you but never the less we love em.
Here's a thread that you could prob' throw you knowledge into, hell we do and we only support.....lol.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1333-MotoGP

Cheers Pete

butters
23rd June 2011, 11:51 PM
Probably a bit too late & not sure if anyone will check it, but i've got a quick query;

My rotors are....'grooved', when you run your hand over them they're very rough. I've got a quote for them; Machining of the front pads & chucking Bendix pads in is $230. Machining of the back pads & chucking Bendix pads in is $180.

Does that sound decent? I'll most likely just do the front for now as I don't have that full amount yet....Is that ok, or do I really need to do it all in the one go?
This is pencilled in for Monday so if I don't get a reply no dramas, i'll probably just go ahead with the fronts :)

Cheers guys,
Russ

patch697
24th June 2011, 12:07 AM
Probably a bit too late & not sure if anyone will check it, but i've got a quick query;

My rotors are....'grooved', when you run your hand over them they're very rough. I've got a quote for them; Machining of the front pads & chucking Bendix pads in is $230. Machining of the back pads & chucking Bendix pads in is $180.

Does that sound decent? I'll most likely just do the front for now as I don't have that full amount yet....Is that ok, or do I really need to do it all in the one go?
This is pencilled in for Monday so if I don't get a reply no dramas, i'll probably just go ahead with the fronts :)

Cheers guys,
Russ

G/day Butters, good to see you mate....

As for your brakes?.... as long as you still have some pad left on the rears & your not planning to leave it to long your should be quite ok doing the fronts first & the rears shorty after.

Clunk
24th June 2011, 12:35 AM

Cheers guys,
Russ

just out of curiousity an me being lazy but anyone have any ideas on how much a new set of rotors would cost these days?

butters
24th June 2011, 01:17 AM
G/day Butters, good to see you mate....

As for your brakes?.... as long as you still have some pad left on the rears & your not planning to leave it to long your should be quite ok doing the fronts first & the rears shorty after.

Yeah cheers mate :)
So that doesn't sound that rediculous a quote?

just out of curiousity an me being lazy but anyone have any ideas on how much a new set of rotors would cost these days?

Standard DBA's (not slotted or cross-drilled) ~$160ea. Slotted $190ea. I think the slotted & cross-drilled were $220. Could be cheaper, could be more pricey, just what I got quoted :)
How's your truck going mate?

Clunk
24th June 2011, 01:20 AM
So that doesn't sound that rediculous a quote?

Standard DBA's (not slotted or cross-drilled) ~$160ea. Slotted $190ea. I think the slotted & cross-drilled were $220. Could be cheaper, could be more pricey, just what I got quoted :)
How's your truck going mate?

yeah it's still going good, still havent done anything to it yet though......... but i did win that spare wheel light bracket in the WPC raffle, so that was a bonus, just need to get me some lights now, and learn how to get them fitted lol.........

How's yours goin mate? Got those tyres and airbox sorted yet?

patch697
24th June 2011, 01:23 AM
So that doesn't sound that ridiculous a quote?

Nah thats not a bad quote at all mate. The pad are around $150 on there own so with machining & labor,

butters
24th June 2011, 01:33 AM
yeah it's still going good, still havent done anything to it yet though......... but i did win that spare wheel light bracket in the WPC raffle, so that was a bonus, just need to get me some lights now, and learn how to get them fitted lol.........

How's yours goin mate? Got those tyres and airbox sorted yet?

Haha awesome congrats! :P

Yeahh they're next on the list :D
Tell ya what, they're bloody scary in the wet.....did a 270 the other day with SFA throttle....
+ the swivel hub needs to be done....sigh it's all money

timbar
24th June 2011, 01:41 AM
Haha awesome congrats! :P

Yeahh they're next on the list :D
Tell ya what, they're bloody scary in the wet.....did a 270 the other day with SFA throttle....
+ the swivel hub needs to be done....sigh it's all money

Mate welcome to the world of 4x4 no matter what you fix nextweek there will be something else that need or you want to do to it so save yoour dollars and spend them wisely hahahaha

hows them cable ties holding out mate or did you get it fixed ???

Clunk
24th June 2011, 01:43 AM
yeah as Tim just said, welcome to the 4x4 money pit!!!! hahahahahahaha and before you say anything, it doesnt matter what brand you get, it's always gonna cost heaps..... ;)

timbar
24th June 2011, 02:41 AM
yeah as Tim just said, welcome to the 4x4 money pit!!!! hahahahahahaha and before you say anything, it doesnt matter what brand you get, it's always gonna cost heaps..... ;)

See that Adrian hit the Nail right on the Head ...........LOL