PDA

View Full Version : oil filters

bobin51
19th June 2018, 10:15 PM
reason for different oil filters on 4.2tdi 2004 thanks for replys in advance

Tip12345
20th June 2018, 03:04 PM
its a Nissan thing mine has two the same its a 2005 . there has been some discussion on the subject here !
its a lucky dip .....

Hodge
20th June 2018, 05:16 PM
Yup it's an odd thing Nissan has done.
Mines a December 2005 and has two identical (short) filters. Yet my neighbours September built has 1 short, one long.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

Cuppa
20th June 2018, 06:35 PM
Yup it's an odd thing Nissan has done.
Mines a December 2005 and has two identical (short) filters. Yet my neighbours September built has 1 short, one long.

I thought they were all the same length, but had different size threads? (May vary with brand?) My May '06 has two the same (with same size threads of course).

Belt sizes seem to vary too.

Hodge
20th June 2018, 06:45 PM
I thought they were all the same length, but had different size threads? (May vary with brand?) My May '06 has two the same (with same size threads of course).

Belt sizes seem to vary too.

Hmmm no idea Cuppa. Possibly variance in size, for different brands. But from memory one of his definitely longer than the other. Possibly the one closer to the firewall? I recall him complaining about it being tighter to get in and out.
Luckily mine are both identical , makes it a tad easier.

Cuppa
20th June 2018, 07:07 PM
I checked & you're right Hodge. Also have different threads.

mudski
20th June 2018, 07:12 PM
Never seen one longer than the other. Mine has the two different filters. Both are the same length. Not sure why they changed to two different filters then back but using two is better for the larger capacity engines. In some of the older truck engines, like a 903 Cummins they would have a secondary by pass filter which could be changed every second service. These days these motors just use one larger filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Wal
28th June 2018, 07:34 PM
Bit of a side point. I have always used genuine nissan filters on my 4.2Tdi ( buy in bulk and have a contact at the dealership ) and have always used delo 400. I noticed that at one stage the oil pressure light took a few seconds to go out after startup. Noticed that the filters were being made in Thailand . Now the filters are being made in Japan ( again ? ) and the oil pressure light goes out almost instantly after startup - only obvious difference is that the part number changed . Spoke to my contact and he was a bit non committal about the reason however hinted that perhaps the Thailand manufactured ones were not up to spec.

Old Wal
28th June 2018, 07:58 PM
Bit of a side point. I have always used genuine nissan filters on my 4.2Tdi ( buy in bulk and have a contact at the dealership ) and have always used delo 400. I noticed that at one stage the oil pressure light took a few seconds to go out after startup. Noticed that the filters were being made in Thailand . Now the filters are being made in Japan ( again ? ) and the oil pressure light goes out almost instantly after startup - only obvious difference is that the part number changed . Spoke to my contact and he was a bit non committal about the reason however hinted that perhaps the Thailand manufactured ones were not up to spec.

Cuppa
28th June 2018, 10:29 PM

I bought a bulk deal of genuine filters some time back, but after using a couple stopped using them & went back to Ryco as I experienced the same delay in oil light going out as you Wal. I just checked the remaining stock of the genuine ones I have stashed in a cupboard...... & sure enough they are made in Thailand. Part number 15208-43G0A