PDA

View Full Version : No more gcm upgrades on new vehicles

NissanGQ4.2
14th June 2018, 06:10 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned before and will delete if it has
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

NO MORE GCM UPGRADES ON NEW VEHICLES
WES WHITWORTH JUNE 9, 2018NEWS

https://mr4x4.com.au/no-gcm-upgrades-new-vehicles/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=GCM+upgrades+have+been+banned&utm_campaign=PC+Newsletter+%23214

The Australian 4WD Industry Council of Australia have just released a statement regarding changes to GCM re-rating for vehicles undergoing a Second-Stage-of-Manufacture. As of July 1, 2018, there will be no more GCM upgrades permitted on new vehicles.

It has been a long standing modifications on new vehicles to change out tow bars, hitches and suspension components to effectively increase both the Gross Combination Mass (GCM) and Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). The upgraded GCM was only able to be completed on a new vehicle, essentially pre-delivery, with modification plates to be affixed to the vehicle before first registration.

As of June 8, 2018, the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association (AAAA) & 4WD Industry Council have now been notified of these changes by the Federal Department of Transport. The change was issued via an updated Circular by the National Vehicle Administrator following consultation with all state and territory transport regulators.

Where this change will be felt the most, is in the caravanning circles, simply due to the upgraded GCM (read: Towing Capacity) no longer being available, especially with the increased weight of caravans and camper trailers, for the typical mid-sized dual cab ute.

For example, the Ford Ranger XLT dual cab has a GVM of 3200kg, and a GCM of 6000kg, leaving an ability to tow up to 2800kg when it’s fully loaded (think bullbar, lights, winch, batteries, wheels, tyres, canopy, roof racks, fridge etc). The average van may well weigh 2200kg, however add water, food, gear, furnishings to the van and you’re very quickly pushing the GCM limit of the Ranger and a caravan. The average GCM upgrade ranges anywhere from 500kg to 1000kg, allowing for a lot more gear or caravan to be towed across the countryside.

Something worth noting, is that with this change being made due to safety concerns across the country, we should well expect more enforcement and weighbridging of vehicles on the roads into the future.

It is still early days in these changes, and we’re waiting to see what else comes of this change, or will new buyers need to go up to a full-sized / American sized ute? Let us know your thoughts below; would you pick a smaller caravan, or a bigger ute? One thing’s for certain, there’ll be no more GCM upgrades.

Notification of Change to Administrative Arrangements Regarding GCM Re-Rating for Vehicles Which Have Undergone a Second-Stage-of-Manufacture

JUNE 8, 2018 / COMMENTS OFF NEWS

https://www.4wdcouncil.com.au/notification-of-change-to-administrative-arrangements-regarding-gcm-re-rating-for-vehicles-which-have-undergone-a-second-stage-of-manufacture/

The Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association (AAAA) & 4WD Industry Council have been notified by the Federal Department of Transport of a change in the administrative arrangements relating to modifications undertaken on a New Vehicle as part of a Second-Stage-of-Manufacture.

This change, which was issued via an updated Circular by the National Vehicle Administrator this week following consultation with all State and Territory Transport Regulators, effectively bans the practice of increasing the rated towing capacity of a vehicle, expressed as a Gross Combination Mass (GCM), above that specified by the first stage manufacturer.

This action was taken by the National Vehicle Administrator following the widespread concern expressed by regulators and aftermarket industry participants in relation to the potential safety implications of GCM re-rating and as such this change has the full support of the AAAA. Our support for this intervention is in line with our commitment as an industry to provide safe and responsible modifications through our many small and family owned automotive businesses across the country and for the thousands of Australian car owners potentially impacted by this practice.

Further information and a copy of the revised Administrators circular can be found HERE. see attachment https://www.4wdcouncil.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Circular-0-4-6-GVM-upgrade-final.pdf

poindexter
14th June 2018, 07:56 PM
I have always thought for many years, that if you need a GVM upgrade, you've bought the wrong vehicle. Pack smart, travel light.

NissanGQ4.2
14th June 2018, 07:59 PM
I have always thought for many years, that if you need a GVM upgrade, you've bought the wrong vehicle. Pack smart, travel light.

Not necessarily, things in life change, you might buy what suits your needs now but doesn't take into account buying a bigger caravan down the track

PeeBee
14th June 2018, 08:02 PM
Great, I now have to look for a trailer weighing less than 100kg to be legal!!!

AB
14th June 2018, 08:24 PM

Do you mean negative 1.3T? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plasnart
14th June 2018, 08:26 PM
I have an old caravan pre compliance plate era, and rego states 900kg. Not 900kg in anybody's book, being twin axle timber framed jobby. To date I've been a bit relaxed about it due to no interest from weigh bridges, but might need to consider offloading it if this is the way they're going, and buy a newer van all properly specced on plate. Either that or get the van engineered, which might be a cheaper option overall. Haven't weighed it but don't think the GCM exceeds the Patrol's limits.

Ben-e-boy
14th June 2018, 08:27 PM

How much do you weigh

Plasnart
14th June 2018, 08:28 PM
How much do you weigh

Edit: Got everything under the sun in that beast! PeeBee FYI

Cuppa
14th June 2018, 08:52 PM
As I understand it there has been a 'bit of a loophole' which some of the suspension companies have exploited for a number of years. *Some* vehicles have been able to get increased GCM's by increasing the GVM. In my case with a 'retrospective' Lovells upgraded GVM on a Patrol this was not the case - the GCM remained the same whilst my GVM was increased by 500kg. In effect this meant that instead of being able to tow up to 2500kg (leaf cab chassis) I can now tow up to 2000kg *IF* I utilise the full extra 500kg on the vehicle (or tow the full 2500kg if I keep my vehicle weight below the original GVM of 3400kg). To be honest I think this is the way it should be & that the new rules from the 1st July are about ensuring this is the case for all vehicles.

As it is, it is of no concern for me as I have no intention of towing anything heavier than the Tvan. (max 1400kg)

I believe that to be safe it is best for the caravan to weigh less, or certainly no more than the tow vehicle, & that is the intent of these new rules. Some vehicles up until now have been able to get GCM upgrades allowing IMO unsuitable vehicles to tow behemoth vans which are nothing less than accidents waiting to happen.

GVM upgrades are still allowed & folk will either need to get bigger vehicles to pull bigger vans, or will have to do as I have done - have a GVM upgrade & to then utilise that on the vehicle at the expense of the weight they can pull, or stick to the vehicle's full towing capacity by remaining at or below the original GVM. It's nice to have that choice & I reckon the new rules will make the roads safer for all of us.

Ben-e-boy
14th June 2018, 08:58 PM
GVM = GCM for PeeBee!! Got everything under the sun in that beast!

That insane. I cant believe the chassis hasn't cracked

PeeBee
Its got too much junk on it, yes, its heavy, won't say on here because you just don't know who is reading this. PM sent Ben

Plasnart
Fair call Cuppa . So you got a GVM upgrade but not a GCM upgrade. Why then this news that no GCM allowable in future? Previously if you had a GVM upgrade did that automatically mean a GCM increase also, or is this latest news something that has always just been??

Cuppa
14th June 2018, 09:02 PM
Fair call Cuppa . So you got a GVM upgrade but not a GCM upgrade. Why then this news that no GCM allowable in future? Previously if you had a GVM upgrade did that automatically mean a GCM increase also, or is this latest news something that has always just been??

As I said, I believe there were some 'anomalies' where some vehicles (not Patrols) *did* get an automatic GCM increase with a GVM upgrade & these new rules are about stopping that.

PeeBee
14th June 2018, 09:08 PM
It was explained to me when my GVM upgrade was done that the GCM remained the same, so yes, less towing capacity, no doubt due to braking I suspect on vehicle and trailer etc. Plus, what worries me more is the power of the tow vehicle being able to control a zig zag moment and accelerate out of it - I wonder about the elevated towing capacities of the new utes out there and where the weight is sitting for stability.

Cuppa
14th June 2018, 09:10 PM
Its got too much junk on it, yes, its heavy.

It's either within it's GVM or it isn't. If you had a GVM upgraded I don't think you could get an upgrade which would only leave 100kg towing capacity. In my car for that to be the case the GVM upgrade would have had to be from 3400kg to 5800kg & that was never going to be allowed. The GCM remains at 5900kg with the GVM at 3900kg.

PeeBee
14th June 2018, 09:11 PM
Edit: Got everything under the sun in that beast! PeeBee FYI

Thanks plassy

Plasnart
14th June 2018, 09:18 PM
As I said, I believe there were some 'anomalies' where some vehicles (not Patrols) *did* get an automatic GCM increase with a GVM upgrade & these new rules are about stopping that.

It's all a bit much for me to comprehend tonight that some vehicles (but not patrols) got automatic GCM upgrades. If not a patrol then what vehicle did? If smaller vehicles were getting automatic GCM upgrades after GVM upgrades then this new rule makes sense.

PeeBee
14th June 2018, 09:25 PM
It's either within it's GVM or it isn't. If you had a GVM upgraded I don't think you could get an upgrade which would only leave 100kg towing capacity. In my car for that to be the case the GVM upgrade would have had to be from 3400kg to 5800kg & that was never going to be allowed. The GCM remains at 5900kg with the GVM at 3900kg.

Cuppa, just joking re the limit, as AB pointed out I am probably in the negative anyway!!!! The limiting factor is the gazetted load capacity of the factory front and rear axle assemblies, unless you do a certified diff strengthening activity which I think lovells do with their upgrade? I did not go that path with mine, however will add the kit more to keep the housing straighter for longer.

Cuppa
14th June 2018, 09:25 PM
It's all a bit much for me to comprehend tonight that some vehicles (but not patrols) got automatic GCM upgrades. If not a patrol then what vehicle did? If smaller vehicles were getting automatic GCM upgrades after GVM upgrades then this new rule makes sense.

Not sure that I fully understand it Plassy, but I *think* it may have been something to do federal approvals vs State approvals. If you look at this link (http://www.lovellsauto.com.au/product12.php) you can see that Patrols only got State approval ie. legal to drive anywhere in Oz with upgraded GVM but can only be sold with upgraded GVM in the state where the upgrade was approved. If selling interstate it requires a new approval. Folk with 'cruisers were getting upgraded GCM's.

mudnut
14th June 2018, 09:55 PM
Have a gander at the prices of the big Chevs, Fords etc. Do you think the heavier caravans on the market will loose a lot of their resale value very quickly?

the evil twin
14th June 2018, 10:33 PM
IMHO... as it applies to second stage manuf of 'new' vehicles... I agree with prev posts that if you already know you need a higher GVM of your 'new' vehicle when you are buying it then you did indeed buy the wrong one.

Two of our fleet vehicles at work have second stage GVM increases, one of our 200 series and one of our Rangers.
The 200 isn't too bad but the Ranger handles like a POS and is deadly for those who aren't aware it does NOT react anything like all the other Rangers we have.
We now only allow people who have been checked out on it to use it.

Cuppa
14th June 2018, 10:38 PM
Have a gander at the prices of the big Chevs, Fords etc. Do you think the heavier caravans on the market will loose a lot of their resale value very quickly?

Maybe, & perhaps it might also help to convince a lot of the caravan manufacturers that there are better ways to build vans, that they can be made strong & robust without being so heavy.

bazzaboy
15th June 2018, 05:18 PM
This may cause some of the new 4wd small trucks ( Iveco's and others ) to become more popular for off-roading & towing.

poindexter
15th June 2018, 08:04 PM
and RAM 1500 4.5t capacity

MB
16th June 2018, 07:12 AM
Bob James up at ‘6x6 Australia’ has I believe legally achieved a 3.0T payload coily wagon/ute chop 6x6 GU with a 9.0T GCM.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/06/119.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/06/120.jpg Skinnier and cheaper than Yank Tanks and also corners like a cat on carpet at 110kmph with his unique coily linked design.

poindexter
16th June 2018, 12:55 PM
where do I sign.......

PeeBee
16th June 2018, 01:01 PM
Looks like a monster rear diff in the photo?

MB
16th June 2018, 03:01 PM
Best to give the family a call, extremely helpful team, better than I could ever explain here.
http://6x6australia.com.au/
Extract: 6x6 Australia’s Coil Spring Suspension with Loadshare Beams and Diff-Locating ‘A-Arms’ & Lower Control Rods (an International Registered Design) incorporates a mechanically integrated ‘Roll-Steer’ function, allowing the tyres to maneuvre under basic physical forces from the Payload as the vehicle corners (Inertia-force, Gravity, and Centrifugal-force combined). Also, in combination with our ‘Roller-drive’ Power-divider, the Coil Spring Suspension works to reduce tyre wear. It’s very subtle and difficult to describe without a proper demonstration, which helps explain these concepts further. Contact us to organize a personal demonstration for you.