PDA

View Full Version : Instrument dimmer and fast idle switch panel.

Coldcomfort
13th June 2018, 01:22 AM
Gidday all,

has any one removed the little panel that holds the instrument dimmer and fast idle controls on a 2012 ST??

Im wiring in two redarc instruments and I need to connect to the ground side of the dimmer control...

Cheers, Brian.

Hodge
13th June 2018, 07:29 AM
Gidday all,

has any one removed the little panel that holds the instrument dimmer and fast idle controls on a 2012 ST??

Im wiring in two redarc instruments and I need to connect to the ground side of the dimmer control...

Cheers, Brian.Easy Brian.
Just remove the whole silver trim and the dimmer assembly will come out with it.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

mudski
13th June 2018, 08:13 AM
I think the dimmer control works using a ground connection, meaning the switch alters the ground contact resistance. whether this will affect your intentions, I am not sure.

Coldcomfort
13th June 2018, 12:24 PM
Thats what the redarc are designed to do. They work the same as the dash lights in the car. One of the reasons I bought redarc. Also they are made by Aussies.

Cheers. Brian.

Coldcomfort
13th June 2018, 12:29 PM
Easy Brian.
Just remove the whole silver trim and the dimmer assembly will come out with it.

So I just grab and pull?

Hodge
13th June 2018, 05:52 PM
So I just grab and pull?Pretty much mate. From memory... Been a while since I done my redarc gauges but what's what I done.

trev zd30
14th June 2018, 10:50 AM
Yes the dimmer does work that way but you may find once it's all connected, your red arc gauges aren't all that bright even with the dimmer on full brightness ie. Hard to see in the daylight.
To rectify this you have two choices. You can buy the special light control kit from redarc or you can use a switching relay to direct where its earthed.
I used a switching relay.
I did this by using the dashlights to power the relay, the wire from redarc gauges as the in wire, a direct earth from the connection where relay is not powered, and the dash dimmer to the connection when the relay is powered.
Hope that makes sense. Could probably draw a picture and post it if that helps
Cheers
Trev

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hodge
14th June 2018, 07:03 PM
Yes the dimmer does work that way but you may find once it's all connected, your red arc gauges aren't all that bright even with the dimmer on full brightness ie. Hard to see in the daylight.
To rectify this you have two choices. You can buy the special light control kit from redarc or you can use a switching relay to direct where its earthed.
I used a switching relay.
I did this by using the dashlights to power the relay, the wire from redarc gauges as the in wire, a direct earth from the connection where relay is not powered, and the dash dimmer to the connection when the relay is powered.
Hope that makes sense. Could probably draw a picture and post it if that helps
Cheers
Trev

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Good point. I've read elsewhere about people having this problem.
I never had such issue. In fact my gauge is TOO bright, and I have to lower the dimmer otherwise it's a PITA.

Coldcomfort
14th June 2018, 09:59 PM
My gauges seem bright enough. I grafted the redarc wires onto the pink wire on the back of the fast idle/dimmer panel. I am now trying to find which wire is the parker/tail light wire on the back of the fuse box below the steering wheel. I think that is pink too. Has anyone been down this path recently?

Cheers, Brian.

Coldcomfort
15th June 2018, 11:54 AM
Finally found the correct circuit diagram. Silly idea picking up parking light signal at the fuse box. It’s before the combination switch. Much better to splice in after the combination switch. Light blue wire by the looks of things.

Coldcomfort
15th June 2018, 07:23 PM
Easy as...... Looing at the circuit diagrams its stands out like dogs balls. But it took me bloody ages to see it. Simply graft the recarc parker connections to the +12V on the other side of the dimmer dial control. Geez I feel dumb sometimes.....

SPOKEWEAL
11th November 2022, 02:59 PM
Guys, thanks so much.
You assisted me locate exactly what I needed, a pink wire (dimmer negative) for the brown on a Redarc G52-BET Gauge and a blue/black wire (positive park lights) for the grey on a Redarc G52-BET gauge.