PDA

View Full Version : Search Options

jack
29th May 2018, 11:19 PM
Is there any way you can search a complete sentence or multiple words on the forum?

If I use the 'Advanced Search' option and type in 'block egr crd' in 'Search Titles Only' it returns all titles that contain either 'block', 'egr' or 'crd'. Unfortunately not very user friendly.

I'm looking for the post called something like 'You Look Like The Guy From' and can't find it either.

rkinsey
29th May 2018, 11:42 PM
Gday jack,

Depends on what you are looking for. To use any search engine like how you are describing, put the words or sentence inside parenthesis (Quotation marks) " bla bla bla "

I did a search using "block egr crd" and it found this very post but none others.

Try changing your search terms to widen the search or if you know of a specific unique word or sentence then use that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rob

jack
29th May 2018, 11:52 PM
Thanks Rob, I’ve already tried using parentheses without success. I know there is a lookalike thread on here that hasn’t been posted in for sometime and I’ve tried just about everything to find it.
Hate to say it but I like the search algorithm on Patrol 4x4

Cuppa
30th May 2018, 08:47 AM
Found it .......... but only by searching for a single word ............'catweazle'. Ha Ha.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26852-Hey-You-look-like-that-dude-from

jack
30th May 2018, 12:46 PM
Found it .......... but only by searching for a single word ............'catweazle'. Ha Ha.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26852-Hey-You-look-like-that-dude-from

Thanks Cuppa, but that doesn't help with simplifying the search process. I often see members recommend to new members to use the 'search function' but that's not much help.
Maybe a job for @AB

mudnut
30th May 2018, 05:17 PM
Maybe a job for @AB

You really like poking the bear with a sharp stick, don't you Jack. Remember what happens when Andy tinkers with the forum!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
30th May 2018, 06:26 PM
You would probably find the search function between us and them exactly the same, they actually use an older version of vBulletin than what we do. Maybe its because someone on there has tagged there post and on here it hasn't been tagged.

Ben-e-boy
30th May 2018, 07:13 PM
Using google itself is better in this configuration.

Egr block crd site:www.nissanpatrol.com.au

If you know who which user said the exact piece of info you're looking for, just add the username to it.
It must end with "site:www.etc etc.com.au" Google will only search on web page added.
Don't forget the colon : after 'site'

jack
30th May 2018, 07:34 PM
Using google itself is better in this configuration.

Egr block crd site:www.nissanpatrol.com.au

If you know who which user said the exact piece of info you're looking for, just add the username to it.
It must end with "site:www.etc etc.com.au" Google will only search on web page added.
Don't forget the colon : after 'site'

Thanks Benny, works a treat - learn something new everyday (at my age that's a bonus)