PDA

View Full Version : Returning member

rkinsey
28th May 2018, 01:53 PM
G'day Lads and Lasses,

It has been a while since I visited these pages and have missed you all. I did sell my 1997 GQ RD28T a few years ago and currently run a 1998 Ford Explorer. I will be on the market for a new GQ next year so starting my search a little early.
Will probably pick up a reasonable unit and do a full tear down and rebuild over a couple of years.

Cheers and have a great day!
Rob

Dhuck
28th May 2018, 03:48 PM
Welcome back to the forum mate

GQtdauto
28th May 2018, 05:24 PM
Welcome back mate

AB
28th May 2018, 06:30 PM
Awesome news mate, welcome back and looking forward to seeing the new beast!

growler2058
28th May 2018, 07:01 PM
Welcome back mate!

MudRunnerTD
28th May 2018, 07:25 PM
Welcome back mate.. do you bnb have a budget for the GQ? Do you want a wagon or ute? Some really good examples coming on the market.

rkinsey
29th May 2018, 12:12 PM
Awesome news mate, welcome back and looking forward to seeing the new beast!

G'day AB, Thanks mate. its going to be a while. Have to build the garage yet.... so the Explorer will have to do for now. Which has quite surprised me in its towing and 4WD capability to be honest but I miss my Patrol.

rkinsey
29th May 2018, 12:17 PM
Welcome back mate.. do you bnb have a budget for the GQ? Do you want a wagon or ute? Some really good examples coming on the market.

G'day Mudrunner,

Thanks mate. Budget will be between $10 - $15k mark. Probably pickup a reasonable unit and then tear down and rebuild (If it needs it). Looking for a manual TD42 this time in a wagon so I will take my time. I still have about 12 months before Im ready to get one though. The Garage is the next project that I have to build.

Have seen a few 4.5 Lt petrol units but dont know how they would go towing and fuel economy either.

MudRunnerTD
29th May 2018, 01:37 PM
G'day Mudrunner,

Thanks mate. Budget will be between $10 - $15k mark. Probably pickup a reasonable unit and then tear down and rebuild (If it needs it). Looking for a manual TD42 this time in a wagon so I will take my time. I still have about 12 months before Im ready to get one though. The Garage is the next project that I have to build.

Have seen a few 4.5 Lt petrol units but dont know how they would go towing and fuel economy either.

If you have $10-$15k for a TD42 GQ you will get the best in the market

rkinsey
29th May 2018, 06:08 PM
Im thinking if I cant pick one up thats in reasonable condition then I would pick a body and chassis that is in good "no rust" condition and start building one that fits my specifications.

I did that with my Explorer. I had two identical cars. One was running but the body was in poor condition and the other was in good condition but wouldnt turn over. So I built one good car out of two that would have gone to scrap.

All up only cost me $5k and I have a reliable 4WD. I can do the same sort of thing again with a GQ. But for a bit more than $5k....