PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

DX grunt
17th May 2018, 08:45 AM
This thread is initiated to talk about all things coffee, so go for it!

DX grunt
17th May 2018, 08:48 AM
Transitioning from 5-7 cups of white coffee a day to black, and cutting down to 1-2 cups a day has been a challenge, but I've conquered it!

I had to transition because I'm having an operation.

I miss the cappa's, but it'll be worth it. lol.

pearcey
17th May 2018, 09:25 AM
G`Day DX
How`s it going mate??? I used to have 5 plus per day sometime reaching up around 10, only ever been strong black no sugar.But now only do around 4.
Do love a nice Turkish.
Also my son buys green beans and roast them in a frypan and when on the bike(push) he carries a few and if he feels the need for a caffeine fix he just sucks or chews a bean or two.

GQtdauto
17th May 2018, 09:33 AM
Probably eight cups a day and has to be instant coffee prefer Nescafé.

PeeBee
17th May 2018, 10:24 AM
Down to 4 triple shots a day, black, no sugar. Back in the day when we only had the chicory stuff, a typical day in the design office would see 20-25 cups a day - didn't get much sleep back then!!! Now limit coffee up until 2pm to save staring at the ceiling all night.

Rossco
17th May 2018, 10:39 AM
I have one cup of instant in the morning, YUM, love it[emoji6] . . . And the occasional latte on special occasions . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AB
17th May 2018, 11:40 AM
https://youtu.be/0_SKxaKxbd0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bidja
17th May 2018, 12:02 PM
I need one, just going to roast up some beans (use a fry pan/skillet always). Back when the coffee pot is on the stove, hanging out for one!!!

Winnie
17th May 2018, 12:04 PM
I used to do 10+ cups of instant a day and now have a latte at home in the morning and green tea after that

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bidja
17th May 2018, 01:00 PM
sooooo good. Real flat white coming up. Have one without handle , take camping a must.

Do haver green tea first up in the morn with coffee chaser..

Cuppa
17th May 2018, 02:04 PM
Double shot espresso with sufficient extra water to almost fill a tea cup +2 sugars, no milk- one at breakfast & one after evening meal.

Have used our Gaggia Baby machine for around the last 14 years, but when 'on the road use a Moka pot like in Bidja's post. (with an Aeropress as back up)

Prefer Vittoria beans to most others, although have recently compromised with Vittoria pre-ground whilst travelling. Buy 1 kg packs when they are half price - fairly regularly. Hand grinding was becoming too much of a chore.

If offered instant coffee I'll ask for tea.

Bob
17th May 2018, 02:45 PM
Rarely drink Coffee (either instant or perced)
A Cup of Tea anyday either black or white (No Sugar)

jack
17th May 2018, 03:22 PM
Instant coffee - how they can call that coffee and get away with it? NEVER drink it.
Black tea first thing in the morning and a couple throughout the day.

Love coffee BUT only if it’s good coffee and will drink about three cups a day. I will admit I don’t mind a Maccas coffee, always consistent (Maccas and good - probably an oxymoron).

GQtdauto
17th May 2018, 03:51 PM
My word we have some coffee aficionados as for the Golden Arches coffee I know someone who worked for one a few years ago and yeah coffee tasted ok but you should have seen the cockroach infestation in the machine ,didn't know what was grinding up sometimes coffee or roach .
As for instant or bean you never know what's been crawling on it so I'll stick to instant at least I know it hasn't been recovered from animal dung before processing.

Hodge
17th May 2018, 05:22 PM
I'm always on a quest for a good coffee shop. And usually & stick to a consistently well made coffee barista I find. Right now I found an awesome one near my place which is perfectly positioned on my route to work.
Coffee is my best friend. And my best friend almost killed me many years ago. Since I was 15, till I was around 21 I was having multiple instant coffees a day, because it was readily available there for me. I worked at Woolies and every time I walked through their mess room i made one for my self.
after 21 I began drinking real coffee made at proper coffee shops etc... Due to nature of my job travelling to many spots on a daily basis, I got into a habit of pretty much stopping at a cafe between every job site.
In 2008. I began feeling unwell, tired, I was buzzing like a hot line. I was on edge all the time, and got very little sleep.
In a nutshell , my body stopped getting rid of caffeine out of my system, and after several days, possibly weeks, it accumulated so much that I in practical terms "overdosed" on coffee. They reckon during that period, my hearts miles, equivalent to around 5 years worth ...

These days I get a regular double shot, usually on the way to work. At around 6am. And then I have a black at home, usually around 4pm... And that does me for the day. On non work days I'll get one later in the morning and usually don't have one in the afternoon.

Plasnart
17th May 2018, 06:23 PM
My coffee preferences over time:
- Teens, instant white with one sugar. Yum.
- 20s, sugar wrecks it so instant white no sugar. Yum.
- early 30s, caffe latte, no sugar. Yum
- late 30s, frothy milk wrecks it so flat white no sugar. Yum
- 40s, any milk wrecks it so perculated black no sugar. Yum.
- mid 40s, cant be stuffed perculating so black instant no sugar. Yum.

Wonder what's next step? :)

Woof
17th May 2018, 06:46 PM
Hate coffee...Hate tea,,,Don't know how you lot drink it, even the smell of coffee is bad enough

Hodge
17th May 2018, 07:23 PM
as for the Golden Arches coffee

Maccas actually have a very nice blend of bean they use. Properly made, it's very nice.
The s*** thing is, you will get a properly made cuppa from their machines maybe once out of twenty goes. You can't expect a 15 year old slapping cheeseburgers together to all of a sudden become a you beaut barista.

Hodge
17th May 2018, 07:28 PM
Who's been behind a person ordering a semi-warm mochaccino, with a 2-1 almond-dairy milk ratio, 1 and a half sugars with a hint of half hazelnut, half irish cream on top.
And the baristas blood pressure begins to match coffee machines steamer section! lol

Plasnart
17th May 2018, 07:30 PM
My word we have some coffee aficionados as for the Golden Arches coffee I know someone who worked for one a few years ago and yeah coffee tasted ok but you should have seen the cockroach infestation in the machine ,didn't know what was grinding up sometimes coffee or roach .
As for instant or bean you never know what's been crawling on it so I'll stick to instant at least I know it hasn't been recovered from animal dung before processing.

Oh yeah what's this cat crap bean i heard about a couple of years ago? Do they really do that and sell as an exotic highly rated bean?!

Winnie
17th May 2018, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah what's this cat crap bean i heard about a couple of years ago? Do they really do that and sell as an exotic highly rated bean?!Nah it's monkey shit!

Plasnart
17th May 2018, 10:00 PM
Nah it's monkey shit!

Get onto this coffee lovers!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

mudski
17th May 2018, 10:12 PM
Maccas actually have a very nice blend of bean they use. Properly made, it's very nice.
The s*** thing is, you will get a properly made cuppa from their machines maybe once out of twenty goes. You can't expect a 15 year old slapping cheeseburgers together to all of a sudden become a you beaut barista.

Yeah there is some Maccas workers who can actually make a good coffee. Im fussy with my coffee. Never instant. Black tea over instant. I like a small long black, extra shot, sometimes half a sugar, raw not white, and half fill the cup. I once order this from a maccas store and the girl gave me a half filled large, I asked her why and she said they ran out of small cups. I just put the coffee on the counter and walked out. Also from a maccas, I asked for the same, the girl filled the cup, I said to her I ordered a half full cup, so she tips half out and hands it to me. And again I just put the cup on the counter and left without saying a word.
Small long black, extra shot and half fill the cup. Is that hard to understand? But overall they are getting better.

If they double cup it, I know they've made it too hot. To high water temp makes the coffee lose its texture and its to watery. Feck me! Im a coffee snob! So what. Im a wog and I love my coffee.

Bidja
18th May 2018, 12:07 AM
Get onto this coffee lovers!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

The use of civets for coffee bean production is an inhumane activity of cruelty, no civets where harmed in production of these coffee beans. IMO, this type of food production is in the same category as caged laying hens or feed lot meat production.

Look fwd to a coffee fix..without the crunchy bits....don't keep a daily count but nothing in excess. Life is bliss

GQtdauto
18th May 2018, 09:35 AM
The use of civets for coffee bean production is an inhumane activity of cruelty, no civets where harmed in production of these coffee beans. IMO, this type of food production is in the same category as caged laying hens or feed lot meat production.

Look fwd to a coffee fix..without the crunchy bits....don't keep a daily count but nothing in excess. Life is bliss

That's why occasionally someone will give you a coffee you take a sip and spit it out and say this tastes like cat shit .

Bidja
18th May 2018, 10:02 AM
That's why occasionally someone will give you a coffee you take a sip and spit it out and say this tastes like cat shit .

$900/kg kitty litter, We are in the wrong business...

GQtdauto
18th May 2018, 10:46 AM
$900/kg kitty litter, We are in the wrong business...

You have to think about the mindset of the first person to scrape a seed out of a cats turd and think hey I can make rich people pay a fortune for that .

Bidja
18th May 2018, 11:19 AM
You have to think about the mindset of the first person to scrape a seed out of a cats turd and think hey I can make rich people pay a fortune for that .

Yeh but they would probably only get paid in clean "as" beans, it would but the middle person cleaning their hands with the cash...

garett
18th May 2018, 12:35 PM
this should explain the difference in coffee. :p

Avo
19th May 2018, 12:23 AM
I think the same thing about the bloke that discovered milk

GQtdauto
19th May 2018, 12:28 AM
I think the same thing about the bloke that discovered milk

What you weren't a breast fed baby ? Milk I can understand but beans from cat shit must have been a dare .

MB
19th May 2018, 12:45 AM
Aren’t those rich hippy’s in NSW-Byron Bay buying $80 cups of ‘Blue Mountain’ something? IIRC beans were sourced from Brazilian batshit maybe?

the evil twin
19th May 2018, 11:07 AM
Coffee... pffft... I have two cups of Nescafe each working day 'cause its free.

We should put up a thread for wine and calibrate the 'Bullshit-o-meter'
Then we can have a race.
First thread to hit 100 tons of Bullshit wins.

It would be close and a while ago Wine would have won in a canter.

But due to places like Harvey Norman now having 3 bays of Coffee Machines where they used to have maybe 2 machines total tucked behind the 'Clearance Bin' I'm offering 10 to 9 on Coffee.

GQtdauto
19th May 2018, 11:45 AM

Then we can have a race.

But due to places like Harvey Norman now having 3 bays of Coffee Machines where they used to have maybe 2 machines total tucked behind the 'Clearance Bin' I'm offering 10 to 9 on Coffee.

Ahhh wine a subject I know a bit about and the best is a Chateau Lafitte 49 absolutely a fabulous drop and highly recommended!

MudRunnerTD
19th May 2018, 02:12 PM
I have one cup of instant in the morning, YUM, love it[emoji6] . . . And the occasional latte on special occasions . .

We can no longer be friends

MudRunnerTD
19th May 2018, 02:26 PM
I have had a fully automatic DeLonghi Magnifica for 10 years. Once tuned for grind and length of draw it makes a great coffee. I drink double shot long black without sugar. You can't hide shit coffee in my cup.

I generally don't buy coffee when I'm out as it's expensive and more often than not, disappointing.

Macca a coffee is rubbish but there is a reason why. It should be perfect. Automatic machine makes it predictable and should be good. The biggest problem with a long black at Maccas is that they send the top up through the group head. Every drop of water past 25 seconds is laundry water. Has no place in my cup. That's the problem mudski. Ask them for a second cup with boiling water and top your own up. Don't let them just run more boiling water through the group head. It's trash.

Winnie
19th May 2018, 03:34 PM
I have had a fully automatic DeLonghi Magnifica for 10 years. Once tuned for grind and length of draw it makes a great coffee. I drink double shot long black without sugar. You can't hide shit coffee in my cup.

I generally don't buy coffee when I'm out as it's expensive and more often than not, disappointing.

Macca a coffee is rubbish but there is a reason why. It should be perfect. Automatic machine makes it predictable and should be good. The biggest problem with a long black at Maccas is that they send the top up through the group head. Every drop of water past 25 seconds is laundry water. Has no place in my cup. That's the problem mudski. Ask them for a second cup with boiling water and top your own up. Don't let them just run more boiling water through the group head. It's trash.We have a pod machine at work, I was pretty excited for that when I started there as I have only ever had instant offered by work.
It's worse than bloody nescafe mate!

MudRunnerTD
19th May 2018, 04:08 PM
We have a pod machine at work, I was pretty excited for that when I started there as I have only ever had instant offered by work.
It's worse than bloody nescafe mate!

Yeah the pods are a little hit and miss too. Play around with flavour and brands of pods until you find one you like. Dont fill the cup through the bloody pod though. 1 shot per pod. Discard. Clean boiling water to top up always.

the evil twin
19th May 2018, 06:01 PM
Coffee 4 Wine 1

Easy money, keep it up boys.

IMHO anyone who thinks Nescafe is crap (not that they are necessarily wrong) must have never tried that International Roast rubbish.

We used to boil a pot of that shyte and pour it down the Aircraft Urinals to clean out the blockages

GQtdauto
19th May 2018, 06:10 PM
Coffee 4 Wine 1

Easy money, keep it up boys.

IMHO anyone who thinks Nescafe is crap (not that they are necessarily wrong) must have never tried that International Roast rubbish.

We used to boil a pot of that shyte and pour it down the Aircraft Urinals to clean out the blockages

You ET are dead to me that is my coffee of choice ! Mind you if you've only ever had shit coffee it always tastes good and the fancy stuff like crap .

Cuppa
19th May 2018, 06:12 PM
It took a couple of decades to educate MrsTea out of drinking International Roast!!!!!!

the evil twin
19th May 2018, 06:33 PM
OK... OK... You guys win... I admit it, I'm a troll

Long live Lipton Tea bags I say

mudski
20th May 2018, 08:08 PM
It took a couple of decades to educate MrsTea out of drinking International Roast!!!!!!

Whats there to educate? International Roast should not even be put in the same category with coffee. You dont even let that shit in the front door, let alone any instant coffee.

Clunk
20th May 2018, 09:20 PM
Mellow bird wins every time

MB
20th May 2018, 09:28 PM
Wood duck 4hr roasted clacka beans for the win :-)

Pete49
21st May 2018, 12:40 AM
I tend to like my perc coffee and have it black 1 sugar can't stand instant sweeping regardless of the brand. Not a fan of the pod coffee but each to their own. A couple years ago I bought 4 Arabica coffee bean plants and this year have my first crop ripening now.Won't be enough to keep me going long but I only drink 2-3 cups a day I figure it will be fun to be able to say its all home made :bananarock:
Pete

garett
21st May 2018, 08:43 AM
this is a terrible thread. every time i read it i've gotta go and make a coffee.

threedogs
21st May 2018, 12:41 PM
Usually take an alloy italian short black maker
love one in the morning and maybe another later.
Just sit it on a small heap of coals and away you go

Avo
25th May 2018, 09:25 PM

Then we can have a race.

But due to places like Harvey Norman now having 3 bays of Coffee Machines where they used to have maybe 2 machines total tucked behind the 'Clearance Bin' I'm offering 10 to 9 on Coffee.I like tea

Bidja
25th May 2018, 09:47 PM
I tend to like my perc coffee and have it black 1 sugar can't stand instant sweeping regardless of the brand. Not a fan of the pod coffee but each to their own. A couple years ago I bought 4 Arabica coffee bean plants and this year have my first crop ripening now.Won't be enough to keep me going long but I only drink 2-3 cups a day I figure it will be fun to be able to say its all home made :bananarock:
Pete

Home grown green beans would be so good. Too cold where I am, so just have to be satisfied roasting the organic green one I source..

Chimo
26th May 2018, 11:49 AM

I found a couple of broken Milrite flour mills, one with a set of metal grister plates and put the two together and made our new coffee grinder.
Ever so slight overkill but here it is doing a hopper full of the dark roast beans from Aldi, another of their regular treats. Yum.

Cheers
Chimo