PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South-Africa

adefischer
14th May 2018, 04:56 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm the almost-owner of a GQ Ute (if all goes well).

My dad have been driving Patrols since I can remember (used to be known as a Nissan Safari over here). First was a 1986 MQ with the 2.8l petrol, orange in colour. That got replaced by a yellow 1990 MQ which in turn got replaced bay a 1992 MQ (all with the 2.8 petrol engine). In 1995 my dad opted for y60 (or GQ) 4.2 petrol which he drove until 1997. Due the increasing fuel price and unstable economy in South-Africa he decided to sell it. In 2000 my dad picked up a 1999 GQ Ute with the TD42 under the bonnet which he drove until 2002. Due to changes in his work, and not needing such a rugged 4wd anymore he sold it to my uncle who is still driving it with almost 900 000 km on the odo.

My uncle's GQ with allmost 900 000km on the original engine

I currently drive a D22 Navara (known as the Hardbody locally) with the TD27 (which as far as I understand is a TD42 minus two pistons, in simple terms). I have always wanted a Patrol of some sorts and recently found one through a friend; It's a 1999 GQ Ute (like the one my dad used to own) which is very rare since only 44 was imported to South-Africa according to urban legend. The guy it's with is a reputable engineer on the TD42's who is currently rebuilding the engine balanced, blueprinted with a top mounted turbo and, I believe, front mounted intercooler. It will probably be done with in a month or two, after which I will post some pictures.

Thank you for an informative forum!

AB
14th May 2018, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

GQtdauto
14th May 2018, 05:25 PM
Hello and welcome and thanks for the great intro mate , nice looking ute and great mileage out of your fathers old truck .
Our Utes here are a bit different in that I don't think we had the rear tub all ours were trays but I could be wrong .

Dhuck
14th May 2018, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

adefischer
14th May 2018, 06:13 PM
Thank you AB and GQtdauto. And thank you for the extensive service manual.

I saw what you mean GQtdauto, the only markets I could find on Google where the Tubbies where sold is Columbia, Middle-East, Japan and South-Africa. Very few pictures are available of these online. As far as RHD versions goes it's only Japan and SA I'm aware of. The UAE versions seems to have fender flares moulded on the tub on certain models, with a few people opting for fiberglass/ABS moulded flares like the station wagon.

One of your rally Patrols, Driven by Terry and Jodi Conner where a tubby aswell, but I think that might be a conversion from a SW.

adefischer
14th May 2018, 06:16 PM
Thank you Dhuck!

AB
14th May 2018, 06:34 PM
Love the tubs, wish we had them here!

MB
14th May 2018, 07:20 PM
Welcome aboard from abroad mate, great looking utes there, thanks for sharing!
Are you good folks still calling them all Bakkie’s these days?
Love the new Y61 bakkie you can get over there too but not here still:
https://www.nissan.co.za/vehicles/new/patrol-pick-up.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adefischer
14th May 2018, 09:00 PM
Hi MB, thanks for the welcome!

Yes we still call them bakkies, which is funny enough Afrikaans for tubs!

We used to get the TD42 up untill a few years ago, but recently only the ZD30 in ute form. We also never got a ute with coils all round which would have been nice. Did you guys ever get the TB48 in a ute? Here's a pic of my cousins TB48 with coils all round converted from a SW.

I love the trays you guys get over there, seems a lot more practical than the tubshttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/05/78.jpg

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

MB
14th May 2018, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately no TB48 utes for us either here I believe mate and even more unfortunate our TD42’s stopped in late 2006 very early 2007. Trays are great and especially in steel do allow for some bashing and crashing out there without too much damage. Coil rears here are very comfortable and perform super well off-road but we legally lose some 400kg GVM having those models versus the good old leafy versions.
I reckon one of your awesome bakkie tubs would be tops for loading heavy tool gear & small hay bales into it having the much lower floor pan area :-)

MB TD42
14th May 2018, 09:34 PM
Gday from Western Australia...Cool rig...I had no Idea the Patrol had a style side tray/tub option...looks good.

adefischer
15th May 2018, 05:18 AM
Thats interesting MB, we still got them up untill around 2011. Is the reason for them being discontinued emissions on your side? I think that's the reason they stopped them here, but Nissan South-Africa is pathetic at best anyway so who knows...

The lower floor bed are nice, plus if you some rails you can load 10 grown ewes without the need for a trailer. The Patrol utes we get here (as well as the cruisers) doesn't come with tub lining from the factory (as seen in the picture). Nissan and Toyota usually just welds some 2mm steel plates on the inside so that a avo rolling around doesn't knock bumps on the outside panels. The Navaras and Hiluxes have better, corrugated linings from the factory though. Now there you have some useless info you can tell your friends ;-)

Greetings MB TD42 from Mid-Eastern South-Africa! Thanks mate. All our utes are actually sold with tubs, with some Mahindra and Tata models as the exception which comes with drop-side trays.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/05/79.jpg

4bye4
16th May 2018, 12:50 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

MB
16th May 2018, 07:04 PM
Not 100% sure on the 2006/7 demise of the TD42 here mate but would assume too it was emissions based?
Reckon you could make yourself a top little business shipping over 2011 low km ones here down under packed neatly into SA ute tubs too :-)
Do remember watching a local community TV station here years back where an Aussie bloke found SA Ford imports from Australian manufacture sleeping out in many farmers paddocks there. Turned out they were all the twin brother versions of the much sort after GT351’s here. Bloke apparently made a killing bringing them back down under, all done and dusted now :-(
Edit: Back home should have described mate, we’re both “down under” southerners, whoops :-)

adefischer
16th May 2018, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome 4bye4!

No worries MB, Australia has copyright on 'down under' :-D

There was actually very few Patrol's sold over here, I could only find 3 within the last year with less than 100,000km on them. There's quite a few 2010/11's with less than 200,000km on them but they were abused by the national electricity provider's workforce. Might be worth fixing them up though since they go very cheap.

We actually carry on with alot of old models over here. The 1200 ute for example (called the 1400 with upgrade engine, or the Champ with bucket seats) was sold till 2007. We also still sell the d22 Navara. We wait a while for new models to arrive though. The Y62 was only available from the beginning of this year.

MB
16th May 2018, 09:40 PM
TD42’s are good for a Million, no problems there mate, especially under stock <below 200,000kms department servicing love :-)
Ute/Tubs as much to the point, blokes here have been known to bolt on Toyota ones, absolute Blasphemy:-)

adefischer
16th May 2018, 11:42 PM
That is utter blasphemy! We have a lot of tubs available for the Y61's as they are removed for specialty loads... I read up a bit about importing vehicles to Australia, and if they are newer than 1989 it seems difficult unless done by a car import company?

Do you think there will be interest for the tubs by themselves? Guessing it will cost more or less $2000 to get them there (might even go as high as $4000 depending on your local taxes). These are new, maybe just a bit weathered with the towbar as far as i understand, but I'm guessing you'll have to get them painted the same shade as the cab anyway. Please note these numbers are hearsay from a quick phone call :gossip:

MB
16th May 2018, 11:53 PM
Jam pack smartly FCL 20’s and or 40’s better dollars spent mate. Majority of import/export is lost/waisted coin on LCL. Same fees either end for 1.0m3 verus 20GP/40GP + $5ish for 40HC :-)

adefischer
17th May 2018, 01:17 AM
I hear you mate. I roughly calculated that you can fit 6 or 8 tubs in a 40, which is $800 or $600 depending. You might even fit 10 tubs. You seem to know your stuff on shipping!

MB
17th May 2018, 01:23 AM
I do calculate 12 tubs packed strategically alone :-) Let’s call it 9 with 6 x 4.2’s within :-)
Happy to help you good bloke prosper :-)

MB
17th May 2018, 01:44 AM
All I ask for is 1 X Y61 Tub :-)

adefischer
17th May 2018, 07:09 PM
All I ask for is 1 X Y61 Tub :-)

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDefinitely mate! They sell for dirt cheat here, about $1K, only difficulty is export tax SA side, import tax Ausie side and shipping.

MB
17th May 2018, 08:03 PM
Bargain:-) I’ll ask our agent for you mate, shoot me a private message if you like with a towns name for his logistics calculations and he’ll look into it for you, he’s a good bloke!
You should start yourself a dedicated thread on here with some cool tub pictures to gauge some interest around Australia.
Did any aftermarket company there make fibreglass type tub canopies for either Y60 or new Y61 ones?

AB
17th May 2018, 09:07 PM
Christ what are you up to mb lol

adefischer
17th May 2018, 11:22 PM
Yeah mate, they did. But they don't look that goog in my opinion. Will do. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/05/92.jpg

MB
18th May 2018, 04:56 AM
Cheers mate, does look a little bulbous doesn’t it :-) Tradies here like electricians (sparkys) might find them practical though, better security for their gear!

MB
18th May 2018, 09:25 PM
Found this sightseeing weapon of a SA truck pictured on Google images today mate! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/05/101.jpg Full steel/ally mesh window coverings, would that be needed for Baboons or bigger beasts?
And they say our Koala bears can bite :-)

adefischer
22nd May 2018, 12:07 AM
I sent you a message in Tapatalk MB. The national electricity provider in SA use the fiberglass canopies as well. That armoured one you got there was advertised here. Apparently it's bullet proof, probably for some security company or riot control, riots tend to get out of hand 100% of the time, such a nice country. That is a 3.0 though unfortunately...

MB
22nd May 2018, 04:31 AM
Cheers mate! Stupid Tapatalk app thingo didn’t notify me, found it now. Will get old mate onto quotes for you today.

adefischer
22nd May 2018, 07:36 PM
Cheers mate! Stupid Tapatalk app thingo didn’t notify me, found it now. Will get old mate onto quotes for you today.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo problem mate. Thanks for your trouble.

MB
22nd May 2018, 08:51 PM
No trouble at all mate, one big Global Patrol family we are :-)!
Old Aussie shipping mate has all your details as best described now and will email you back with found hidden tax/duty/clearance fun stuff to consider too :-(
Best to seriously consider adding atop of your profits some good dollars genuinely needed in SA for scrubbing down dust particles. One of our work containers from the Yanks rightly so just got hauled into quarantine for a $2,000 unload and secure scrub out for an accidental found grass blade blown in, damn it :-(
Australian customs/quarantine are the worlds best for sure, truly :-)

adefischer
23rd May 2018, 12:28 AM
Wow, will take that into consideration, thanks mate. Would have thought something somewhat sterile and none porous would'nt be that big a risk but a simple swab in the wrong place might make all the difference. I think it will be easy and rather cheap to get it done though.

mcfads29
16th September 2022, 10:38 PM
are they really that comon in SA im currently in the process of hunting one from Japan to Western austrailia lookign at $8000 landed

MB
17th September 2022, 08:20 PM
G’day mcfads29.. Mate.
Yes, as Old Mate mentions above they were the only South African import variants …styleside tubs, no cab chassis tray utes, but unfortunately we’ve all lost contact with Old Mate [emoji3074][emoji3074][emoji22]
Shipping costs on most global routes thanks to covid debacles have increased by up to 600% so unfortunately not surprised you’ve been quoted $8k for a tub from OEM Japan [emoji26]
Definitely worth giving Patrolapart in Victoria Australia a call as there was one tub out the back around 12 months ago [emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]