PDA

View Full Version : 11 volts to glow plugs

GQtdauto
13th May 2018, 03:23 PM
Yeah I know time of year that there is heaps of questions about slow starting and glow plugs but just checked mine for voltage and I'm getting 11.06 volts which to me sounds low but can't find info on what it should be ,assuming it should be whatever the battery is at .
Also noticed they come on for maybe 2 secs then turn off then turn on again for three cycles .

Winnie
13th May 2018, 03:34 PM
Would imagine it should be higher than that. When mine come on they definitely bring the battery voltage down cos they draw a shit load of current, but it stays about 12V
Turning off and on is normal behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ben-e-boy
13th May 2018, 04:04 PM
Disconnect the supply wire to the glow plugs and check voltage there. It's likely to be the glow plugs dragging it down if battery voltage it ok.

PeeBee
13th May 2018, 04:08 PM
Mine drop to around 11.5V, checked this with auto elec and said it was about right, indication only for comparison as not nissan set-up

GQtdauto
13th May 2018, 04:16 PM
Hadn't thought about the sudden drop in voltage you get when all six get power in an instant , battery was 13.3 volts so doubt that played any part .
Motor started ok and hasn't been started since last Thursday ,will disconnect the feed wire and recheck but feeling better about it thanks to all the above .

Tip12345
13th May 2018, 09:54 PM
Yes that about right just checked mine

GeeYou8
14th May 2018, 07:57 AM
Measure the voltage from battery +ve to glow plug bus, over half your voltage drop will be here, the rest on the earth return.

Chris Riddle
29th August 2018, 04:49 PM
11 volts no worries at all, glow plugs are high amp users and will pull the voltage down. A good sign as it means they’re working!!!
Just replaced all for ona four cyl Mazda 3 litre, hard starting or won’t start. All four u/s

GQtdauto
29th August 2018, 06:59 PM
As a footnote although the voltage was up I have a three battery system with roof solar and just before leaving for the trip the crank battery shit itself ,no trouble starting it up north but back here in the cold it does crank a few more times before starting .