PDA

View Full Version : 12 Volt Air Compressors

PhillipA
29th April 2018, 09:22 AM
Hi All,

Just joined up though have been reading the forums for a long time, they are very helpful and full of good hints.

Just getting the old GU 2001 ready to go bush again to the gulf of Carpentaria Pormpurraw area.

Bought a Rydge Ryder 12000lb winch from Super Cheap on sale for $499.99. My son was saying to give it a miss and to go to 4x4 Superstore and get the Grande Mk111 or the Dominator 8rx both being about $100 cheaper.

Ive seen some forums and the RR seems to get a few good ticks. By the way the sale has ended and they are in the new sale for about $100 dearer.

Now I already have a small 60l/ min compressor for sand conditions but am tossing up whether to go for a Rydge Ryder 160l/min or another brand like the Thumper with 1 tank or the Thumper dual unit.

Some say they run hotter than the RR unit I guess its all about price and marketing. So any tips on that side would be appreciated. I see the R/R has come down from $265 to $212 but that is still a bit above my budget.

There are some 2nd hand ones on gum tree but only a couple and postage to Cairns bulks up the cost. Also there is no Warrranty.

GQtdauto
29th April 2018, 09:56 AM
I have had a TJM which is similar to the RR but now have the Double Thumper and it's chalk and cheese , the thumper has an auto cut out at 150 psi and is great with a small tank .
As for temps yes they get hot and I've noticed rust on the airline fittings so condensation is a problem but I'm going to see how long it lives because it's so quick to pump up tyres .

PhillipA
29th April 2018, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info I wonder if the motor is bigger to Cater for operation of 2 tanks instead of 1. Wondering if that is why they get so hot from running 2 tanks

Cuppa
29th April 2018, 11:13 AM
Pay attention to the duty cycle of any compressor you look at. More important than max PSI.

Some are advertised with no mention of duty cycle - give those ones a wide berth.

The higher the percentage of the duty cycle the better. 100% is best. They can run continuously without shutting down to cool, which not only is convenient but suggests far better quality construction (& promise of longer life).

I run a Boss PX07 (https://bossairsuspension.com.au/12-volt-air-compressors/) with a 15 litre tank. Comparable in price to the bigger ARB units. Apart from being a good reliable & simple compressor, all parts necessary for a rebuild are readily available & the Aussie distributor is a really helpful bloke. I had originally installed mine poorly in such a way that any internal condensation collected in the check valve, which over time destroyed it. I emailed him with a query & he phoned me & then sorted me out with some different braided hoses & fittings so I could install differently a very reasonable cost (& far less than I could have got custom hoses made up for). Probably as close to a garage forecourt airline that you can get in 12volt. I bought mine on the recommendation of a friend who has travelled extensively throughout remote Australia over the past decade in his OKA & has used his PX07 regularly throughout without any issue whatsoever.

They also do smaller 100% duty cycle compressors which might suit better price-wise.

the evil twin
29th April 2018, 12:01 PM
Cuppa has nailed it...

1st bench mark - Duty cycle
2nd - Flow rate
Last - pressure

Get the best rated duty cycle you can on your budget and if choosing between models with similar duty cycle then go the higher flow rate.

GQtdauto
29th April 2018, 12:21 PM
Actually agree with Cuppa and ET I am playing with the possibility that the cheap unit may shit itself , last trip I was airing up and down a fair bit and with 33s and trailer tyres it had a fair workout .
Buy the best you can afford in line with what they have written above .

PhillipA
29th April 2018, 12:50 PM
Ok thanks, I will; have a look at the specs

Cuppa
29th April 2018, 01:34 PM
I am playing with the possibility that the cheap unit may shit itself , last trip I was airing up and down a fair bit and with 33s and trailer tyres it had a fair workout .

Having a compressor 'fail to proceed' when I really needed it (& of course they only fail when needed) after airing down considerably to get ourselves out of a bogged situation was a good lesson. It clarified for me that we *rely* on every piece of equipment we carry. (we don't carry unnecessary stuff). If we rely on something & it proves unreliable the consequences are potentially far greater than a little inconvenience. BIG difference between those who can call the mate to come out & help if equipment shits itself & those who are 'on their own'. If the shit hits the fan the initial cost savings can rapidly pale into insignificance. Just gotta hope that writing this hasn't jinxed anything we carry!!! :)

PhillipA
29th April 2018, 01:44 PM
I fully agree Cuppa,. There will be 2 vehicles + 3 compressors on this trip, Quite a lot of sand driving hence dropping tyre pressure and then back on hard dirt and inflate a bit then bitumen and top up.

I notice some compressors don't show the duty cycle in their specs

Cuppa
29th April 2018, 06:05 PM
If you are taking a camera I reckon there are plenty here who would like to see pics of that country when you get home again. ;)

Clunk
29th April 2018, 07:46 PM
I had the R/R one for about 6 years before it carked it, bought that for $120 on sale back then.
This time round, I bought a similar looking XTM one from BCF for $93, only used it 3 times but so far so good and seems to be on par with the R/R...... I should add, that it's one of those ones that doesn't seem to have a duty cycle listed for it......... but hey, I needed one and didn't have the coin to spend

PhillipA
29th April 2018, 10:49 PM
No worries Cuppa, We leave June 18 so I am just gearing up now so plenty of time

Avo
29th April 2018, 11:07 PM
I have an iron man one cost me 180 bucks probably 4 yrs ago,and those from here I have gone 4wd-ing with will tell ya mine beats there's...nah nah nah nah nah

Clunk
30th April 2018, 12:12 PM
I have an iron man one cost me 180 bucks probably 4 yrs ago,and those from here I have gone 4wd-ing with will tell ya mine beats there's...nah nah nah nah nahNo one cares..... go home

MB
30th April 2018, 08:38 PM
FWIW, Mrs MB has been over the moon with her paddock $99 prezzie last year of a “Double Thumper - Max” :-)!
Apparently ARB twin compressors overheat in serious use according to some, bullshit I says when recently leaving real tracks to assist with 6 of 35x12.5 + 4 of 33x10.5 in under 10 minutes.
20L ‘rusty’ bad idea ‘steel’ tank pressure vessel ‘good’ help in between tyre build interchanges ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
1st May 2018, 11:18 AM
Pay attention to the duty cycle of any compressor you look at. More important than max PSI.

Some are advertised with no mention of duty cycle - give those ones a wide berth.

The higher the percentage of the duty cycle the better. 100% is best. They can run continuously without shutting down to cool, which not only is convenient but suggests far better quality construction (& promise of longer life).

I run a Boss PX07 (https://bossairsuspension.com.au/12-volt-air-compressors/) with a 15 litre tank. Comparable in price to the bigger ARB units. Apart from being a good reliable & simple compressor, all parts necessary for a rebuild are readily available & the Aussie distributor is a really helpful bloke. I had originally installed mine poorly in such a way that any internal condensation collected in the check valve, which over time destroyed it. I emailed him with a query & he phoned me & then sorted me out with some different braided hoses & fittings so I could install differently a very reasonable cost (& far less than I could have got custom hoses made up for). Probably as close to a garage forecourt airline that you can get in 12volt. I bought mine on the recommendation of a friend who has travelled extensively throughout remote Australia over the past decade in his OKA & has used his PX07 regularly throughout without any issue whatsoever.

They also do smaller 100% duty cycle compressors which might suit better price-wise.

Paid $600 odd when Big Balls were in business great pump boss 3/4hp but I prefer my thumper.
never been a race to pump up tyres or re seat rims imo. Im going to run my Thumper with a 3 gallon tank to run some air tools if needed.
As for price if it fails Ill just but a double ended thumper, ,just keep them away from sand, It was just called the big black pump back then.
this makes then over 20 yrs old in design, you'd think improvements may have been made since then.I still have my Thomas bullet slow as they come
but will pump all day, about the time it took to pump up one tyre lol

PhillipA
8th May 2018, 07:28 PM
Ok, picked up the Ridge Ryder on Supercheaps ebay site on special for $167 and with my ebay voucher brought it down to $117

Can't go wrong with that.