PDA

View Full Version : First time Patrol owner

Pommy
13th May 2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys,

i got my first patrol a few weeks ago, not realy had chance to use it yet as ive also inherited some problems.
Once i hit 70kpm the death wobbles set in!!!
After reading through these forums i was amazed with the help and knowledge out there available to new people like me just getting into 4x4.
I knew the front hub seals where leaking but thats just the start. So with the help from this site i went ahead and pulled apart my drivers side hub. What a mess!!! Diff oil mixed with grease is not pretty. Further inspection told me my wheel and kingpin bearings where shot along with more seals.
Thanks to ebay i now have my new seals and bearing kit:biggrin: The hardest jobs was cleaning up, not one of my strong points. (took forever so thank god for beer)

Can anyone tell me how much C.V grease and bearing grease i require for each side pls?
Also the swivel seal itself come in three parts, 2 rubber and 1 steel ring, how does the steel ring fit?
And finaly, will this fix eliminate my wobbles or is this just the start? lol

93 Patrol Ute 4.2 Diesel

Pommy

big_fletch
13th May 2011, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, I'm sure one of the members will be here soon to help with your problem
Feel free to browse around and join in the convos

Fletcha

Silver
13th May 2011, 11:19 AM
not much bearing grease for the wheel bearings, less for the king pin bearings, and a fair bit more for the CVs.

With the wheel bearings, you are only packing the the four bearings and putting a little bit in the hub. From memory I used less than a 500gm tub to do 2 vehicles. The grease is High Temp Bearing grease.

The king pin bearings and the CV both take a moly based grease - I think they may be meant to be different for each application, but I ended up using LMM for both. Maybe something with lesser % of moly is required - check the manual, which I think calls for moly based chassis grease. I drew some comfort in using the LMM on the CVs, because it lists that application on the tube. Using LMM on roller bearings is perhaps not best practice.

If you search on line for CV joint packing, you will find some excellent sites with pictures - you need to completely fill the cv. I did this by holding the stub axle in a vice and used a flat paddle (old rule) to squish the grease into one side of the CV, while rolling the long side of the axle around, until it comes out on the other side of the cv. I could only buy cartridge tubes of LMM - and I think I used 2 between 2 vehicles. You also slop it around inside the swivel hub- just how much seems to be a bit controversial :-). Moly grease also goes into the wiper seals as per the manual.

As to whether that is the end of the wobbles, perhaps you will need to replace suspension bushes. I'd also suggest swapping the wheels and tyres for a set known to be good, as out of round Pirelli tyres were a source of problems for me with my old MQ.

What order for the rubber and steel components of the wiper seals :-) The smiley is because I mixed the rubber ones up! EDIT hmmm, the Gregory's manual shows the (metal) support ring next to swivel hub, then the seal, then the scraper. The factory manual has them in that order as well, with the addition of the two piece seal guard furthest from the swivel hub. I hope I did mine that way :-) END EDIT . If you think about the shape of the swivel hub and fiddle about with the two rubber rings you'll see which is the right way.

Bigrig
13th May 2011, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys,

i got my first patrol a few weeks ago, not realy had chance to use it yet as ive also inherited some problems.
Once i hit 70kpm the death wobbles set in!!!
After reading through these forums i was amazed with the help and knowledge out there available to new people like me just getting into 4x4.
I knew the front hub seals where leaking but thats just the start. So with the help from this site i went ahead and pulled apart my drivers side hub. What a mess!!! Diff oil mixed with grease is not pretty. Further inspection told me my wheel and kingpin bearings where shot along with more seals.
Thanks to ebay i now have my new seals and bearing kit:biggrin: The hardest jobs was cleaning up, not one of my strong points. (took forever so thank god for beer)

Can anyone tell me how much C.V grease and bearing grease i require for each side pls?
Also the swivel seal itself come in three parts, 2 rubber and 1 steel ring, how does the steel ring fit?
And finaly, will this fix eliminate my wobbles or is this just the start? lol

93 Patrol Ute 4.2 Diesel

Pommy

Hey mate - can't help with the way the seals etc go in, but the grease (HTB) for the bearings should be packed into the inner and outer casing fully enclosing the bearings themselves - only need a light smear on the outside. Easiest way to get the grease into the bearings is to put a blob of it in you palm and 'cut/chop' the bearing into the blob to get it into the bearing spaces.

Not sure on the wobbles though - heaps of things can cause that unfortunately ... a big cause which is usually forgotten is offset rims ... changes the Ackerman angle and gives a wobble ... if everything is tight/in good condition in the suspension etc, tyres are not out of round/delaminated, etc, then don't discount the rims .. if you have only slight negative offset or original rims, then it won't be this.

Good luck with it mate!!

Sir Roofy
13th May 2011, 03:03 PM
welcome aboard mate
youll get all the advice you need
here stay tuned

AB
13th May 2011, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Pommy
14th May 2011, 09:26 PM
Good news.

Manage to completly rebuild the drivers side swivel hub along with new bearings and seals throughout. Hardest task was removing some of the bearings, but with alot of swearing and cursing they finaly listened to me.
Most of the time was taken up from just cleaning all the bits i taken off.
Anyway i've got a beer in my hand and thats all that counts.

Best part was i found out from my new neighbor after all the cursing i did today that his a MECHANIC!!!

Big thanks goes out for the advice given to me, and for these great step by step reports from people who know the pain i went through.

Pommy

Silver
14th May 2011, 11:59 PM
Good news.

Manage to completly rebuild the drivers side swivel hub along with new bearings and seals throughout. Hardest task was removing some of the bearings, but with alot of swearing and cursing they finaly listened to me.
Most of the time was taken up from just cleaning all the bits i taken off.
Anyway i've got a beer in my hand and thats all that counts.

Best part was i found out from my new neighbor after all the cursing i did today that his a MECHANIC!!!

Big thanks goes out for the advice given to me, and for these great step by step reports from people who know the pain i went through.

Pommy

Good work!

dads tractor
19th May 2011, 09:29 PM
Hi Pommy re the wheel shakes it's abit of a nissan thing O.K. Take your wheels down to the tyre place and get balanced and ensure they don't put big weights on them make them brake the beads and redo them untill you only have no more than 10 gms on inside and out . Then get them to balance the wheels on the vehicle if they try and charge you extra tell them they dont know their job and ask them about their misson statement. see how you go

Pommy
20th May 2011, 12:40 AM
Hi Pommy re the wheel shakes it's abit of a nissan thing O.K. Take your wheels down to the tyre place and get balanced and ensure they don't put big weights on them make them brake the beads and redo them untill you only have no more than 10 gms on inside and out . Then get them to balance the wheels on the vehicle if they try and charge you extra tell them they dont know their job and ask them about their misson statement. see how you go

Thanks mate i will do.
Also the good news is that the shakes have stopped, one step closer to a well deserved trip away.

Pommy

Pommy
20th May 2011, 12:45 AM
Does anyone in WA know a good mechanic near Midland?
I need wheels balanced, toe in/out checked, and rod bushes need replacing.

Thanks
Pommy

timbar
20th May 2011, 01:01 AM
you would be lookingfor a tyre shop mate in midlan would be your best bet ..........thats all i got 4 ya

Are you in for the 29th may interforum meet up ??

Pedro1411
16th February 2014, 11:33 AM
Hey Pommy, how did you go finding a mechanic in Midland area? I'm a newbie and also looking for a good mechanic in the area.
Cheers

GQ TANK
16th February 2014, 10:59 PM
The king pin bearings are a commen cause of the wobbles.