PDA

View Full Version : Mounting fridge in place of backseat

PLJ
8th April 2018, 07:07 PM
Hi All,

I am working on an interior cargo set up for my GU Wagon.
With most of the previous 4x4's I had to account for backseat passengers (Kids), I am at a stage in life where it is only the Mrs and I now ;).
For the upcoming big trip I am considering removing a back seat/seats and mounting the fridge on a frame there.
Thinking more accessible, especially for the bride, and more space out back

Have any of you done this, how did it go, have you any pics

Cheers

GQtdauto
8th April 2018, 08:52 PM
A few here have done it using the old seat base to make a platform for the fridge but I think most put them in the back , I'm sure there was someone questioning the legality of removing seats from the back .

threedogs
9th April 2018, 11:28 AM
Ive removed my back seat behind the driver,
built a platform and itstalled my 40 ltr Engel on a transit base.
I intend to to hinge the lid sideways as the guy from
Two Zone gave me a spare set of hinges. Ill need to cut
and re stitch the transit cover. I can open it and the lid stay upright against the roof
I love it. Ill grab a picture later,even fits with my half cargo barrier. Disregard that top shelf
just something I was toying with.
Ive also installed a LED light on a tilt switch, had it from new since 92, never missed a beat,
its on most the time but recently been off

MudRunnerTD
9th April 2018, 07:15 PM
Yes i have a fridge base fitted to the base of a rear seat in my GQ. I didnt make it. I have one for each side and they are awesome. They flip up like the seat does too. Winner.

I have fitted an optima battery under the base as i have a 24v system in my car for the winch

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/54.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/55.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/56.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/57.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/04/58.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
9th April 2018, 07:34 PM
Here are some better pics from the ad when i bought them off facebook

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Winnie
9th April 2018, 07:52 PM
Here are some better pics from the ad when i bought them off facebook

Sent from my SM-G955F using TapatalkGreat idea using the factory base so they can fold up too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PLJ
9th April 2018, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the photos Three dogs and Mudrunner
Those bases using the old seats in the GQ look real useful, got me thinking now

Cheers

TPC
9th April 2018, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the photos Three dogs and Mudrunner
Those bases using the old seats in the GQ look real useful, got me thinking now

Cheers

Should I drop my Patrol off to your place so you can do both at the same time? ;)

threedogs
10th April 2018, 11:13 AM
cant recommend these high enough for an Engel, they supply different feet as well.
Mines been i two 4x4 and neverhad any problems. only takes one finger to un click it to nw removed

TPC
10th April 2018, 11:40 AM
cant recommend these high enough for an Engel, they supply different feet as well.
Mines been i two 4x4 and neverhad any problems. only takes one finger to un click it to nw removed

Is there meant to be a photo John? Can't see one.

threedogs
10th April 2018, 01:43 PM
Yes you're right but cant find one its two pieces of ABS that snap together for up to 60ltr fridges
You replace the OE screw on foot pads with the ones supplied https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-ENGEL-Transit-Slide-Lock-suit-29L-to-40L-TSL530-540/162415348503?epid=1709164686&hash=item25d0b58b17:g:saoAAOSwogxZ3viH
Price wise just under $100 originally I screwed it to the slide,but since removed that and its just screwed intoi
a piece of marine ply covered in a rubber backed carpet. Love it TPC
Can convert back to a 4 seater in less than 1/2hr

Throbbinhood
10th April 2018, 04:34 PM
I removed a seat, popped a rubber floor mat and a bit of 2x4 on the carpet so it all sits level. Tighten with some good straps.

Have taken it on some rough as guts tracks and it never moves, gives me heaps more room in the back and is easier to pack around.

Makes it easy to get to, just open the door and there are the beers.

threedogs
10th April 2018, 04:57 PM
Forgot to mention that my engel is mounted long ways,
plenty of room with the front seat back and cargo barrier.
I can also fit some tools underneath the platform . Had it
like that nearly 10yrs now.. Ill grab a pic tomorrow, I only travel with just a mate
so the engel only holds food and a few cans of soft drink for the trip home.
MudRunnerTD any reason why you used the rear left seat.

Winnie
10th April 2018, 06:35 PM
like that nearly 10yrs now.. Ill grab a pic tomorrow, I only travel with just a mate
MudRunnerTD any reason why you used the rear left seat.Easier to reach over and grab a cold can of... Coke... While he's driving along.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

threedogs
10th April 2018, 06:42 PM
We have 3 when we go away so there is a dedicated coke passer as we go best idea ever.
Good to here from you mate, Im just taking small steps still but will be going up the
Murray soon for a decent goodbye drink which youre more than welcome to come along Winnie

TPC
10th April 2018, 10:54 PM

PLJ and I both have Liemack 50l fridges which are heavy duty and quite bulky so will not fit where a Ingel 40 fits.

I am going to remove my back seats this weekend and work out what I can do, may fit a piece of plywood as a false floor like someone on 4x4 Earth has done.

threedogs
11th April 2018, 03:56 PM
Cant you buy drawers that fit across the rear seats and have provisions for a fridge???

TPC
11th April 2018, 04:55 PM
Cant you buy drawers that fit across the rear seats and have provisions for a fridge???

Not sure what you mean with drawers across the rear seat.

I have drawers in the back with a fridge slide but I want to get the fridge out of the back and lower down for an 8 week trip to the Cape.
After the trip I will put the seats back in.

PS. Sorry for hijacking your thread Paul. PLJ

PLJ
11th April 2018, 09:46 PM
[PS. Sorry for hijacking your thread]

No worries Tony,

lots of good ideas, putting ...Coke ..in the fridge is a novel idea I haven't thought of yet

Cant wait for you to get yours sorted so I can copy it.
I am thinking more that I will pull both back seats out and put tie downs in for an esky as well as the fridge.

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
12th April 2018, 12:36 PM
Clip:

Hi John,

i have both so i could have gone either. I wanted my batteries for the 24v on the passenger side because im a fat bastard and wanted the weight on that side so that kind of dictated that that would be the fridge side too. I also generally camp out of the passenger side so it makes sense. Passenger side is Curb side, not that this will see much bitumen. I have set it up as a 3 seater and my Son is about to turn 13 so he is close to becoming my Navi leaving the back seat for my girl or a mate. Back Seat passenger is on Fridge duty!

GeeYou8
16th April 2018, 08:17 AM
Just a side note, a lady I work with let the rego expire on her Kia Carnival. When she took it for inspection she didn't have the removable (no tools required) middle seat fitted so it failed. I am on Hyundai Excel Track Cars page and a few guys there have been pinged for not having rear seats in 2 door cars.
Graham

PeeBee
16th April 2018, 09:46 AM
Just a side note, a lady I work with let the rego expire on her Kia Carnival. When she took it for inspection she didn't have the removable (no tools required) middle seat fitted so it failed. I am on Hyundai Excel Track Cars page and a few guys there have been pinged for not having rear seats in 2 door cars.
Graham

Couple of things to note for the failure. If the seat is missing, but the vehicle has seat belts fitted, its a fail. If the vehicle is registered as say a 5 seater, and one seat is taken out, it fails unless it has been 'engineered to remove the seat - sounds crazy to have to pay to get an engineering certificate to remove a seat but its the law. I installed a cargo barrier in my GQ LWB with some gear hanging off on the passenger side and the VASS engineer wanted to rip the rear seats out and seat belts and "engineer' it for a 2 seater - like what exactly are your engineering you goose - basically removing the legal ability to carry rear seated passengers, that $500 thank you - think not.

TPC
16th April 2018, 10:19 AM
Graham

Couple of things to note for the failure. If the seat is missing, but the vehicle has seat belts fitted, its a fail. If the vehicle is registered as say a 5 seater, and one seat is taken out, it fails unless it has been 'engineered to remove the seat - sounds crazy to have to pay to get an engineering certificate to remove a seat but its the law. I installed a cargo barrier in my GQ LWB with some gear hanging off on the passenger side and the VASS engineer wanted to rip the rear seats out and seat belts and "engineer' it for a 2 seater - like what exactly are your engineering you goose - basically removing the legal ability to carry rear seated passengers, that $500 thank you - think not.

PLJ and I are both doing this temporarily for a trip up Cape York and will be putting the seats back after the trip so not likely to be a problem.
The only worry would be if we got pulled over by some cop with a grudge on the way.

the evil twin
16th April 2018, 11:27 AM
The reason that they require the removal of 'non-removable' seats to be certified is so that when the seats are refitted they are done so correctly and not bodgied up for sale or whatever.
The seats, belts etc all form part of ADR compliance and ANCAP rating.

The reason that they require engineering of is because you 'permanently' change the seating capacity up or down it involves the issue of a Vehicle Mod Plate
The interpretation of the difference between 'permanent' and 'temporary' is a grey area but some mermaids in some states will use 24 hours or less as 'temporary'

Bottom line is if it needs a Vehicle Mod Plate to be 100% legal but most don't bother (me included) and it is very rare but not unheard of to be stickered in a day to day operation BUT it will always cause a problem in any formal inspection

Hodge
16th April 2018, 12:01 PM
FWIW.
When I had to go through the pits to rego my Patrol from SA to VIC.
Rear seats were removed. The bloke told me to get rid of, tuck in the rear seat belts and all is good. Otherwise it would have failed.

TPC
16th April 2018, 03:08 PM
FWIW.
When I had to go through the pits to rego my Patrol from SA to VIC.
Rear seats were removed. The bloke told me to get rid of, tuck in the rear seat belts and all is good. Otherwise it would have failed.

I had to get the Patrol inspected going from Vic to SA reg and the third row seats were removed with seatbelts still there and they never mentioned it.
I guess SA is not as strict as other states.
I have removed them now as they annoyed me.