PDA

View Full Version : What is that noise??

JackoGQYoot
3rd April 2018, 09:57 AM
Hi all
I have a 1994 TD42 coil cab, and since I bought it I have noticed a noise that I can describe as a chatter or rattle. It only happens at low revs under load, and when engine braking down a hill. When driving through the sand at low revs it constantly makes the noise. Would you be able to tell me what it is so I can get it fixed, as it makes the car sound very unhealthy.
Cheers

drgtr
3rd April 2018, 10:01 AM
Low revs and/or under load creates a lot of vibrations .

If its rattles and clacky then check all your heat shields.

Sometimes engine mounts wear out so makes these rattles worse as opposed to a new engine mount that doesn't allow these rattles to occur.

JackoGQYoot
3rd April 2018, 11:39 AM
Could it be the clutch at all? How much would a new set of engine mounts cost me?

threedogs
3rd April 2018, 11:42 AM
I thought all 4.2s made a weird sound down low ask Winnie

JackoGQYoot
3rd April 2018, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I read on another forum, it may be the springs or something inside the clutch, and a few guys have got rid of the noise by changing their clutch to heavy duty and replacing the gear oils.
Cheers

dads tractor
3rd April 2018, 10:08 PM
If it sounds like its coming from the gearbox and changes pitch with a give or take 50rpm its the 4.2 torque rattle and that's to let you know the big tractor is working down low.

JackoGQYoot
3rd April 2018, 11:22 PM
Would the toyota 4.2 diesels make the same noise? I heard an 80 series non turbo drive past and it made that same noise.

JackoGQYoot
4th April 2018, 02:33 PM
Hi guys
I am looking at replacing the engine mounts on my patrol, which may have something to do with the noise. What does it take to replace them? I am looking at the Superior engineering comp spec ones. Is there any welding or anything to do, or can I fit a new set in my driveway? How many of them are there to replace?
Cheers

Rossco
4th April 2018, 02:40 PM
Hey mate just be aware the superior ones transmit A LOT of vibration through to the car Winnie has some in his GQ. From experience the factory ones seem to be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Winnie
4th April 2018, 02:47 PM
Hi guys
I am looking at replacing the engine mounts on my patrol, which may have something to do with the noise. What does it take to replace them? I am looking at the Superior engineering comp spec ones. Is there any welding or anything to do, or can I fit a new set in my driveway? How many of them are there to replace?
CheersThere are two mounts to replace, it's tricky but can be done in the driveway. I have the superior mounts and don't like them, they vibrate a lot at low revs and make it impossible to hold a conversation.
I'm looking at swapping them out again with genuine Nissan mounts.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rossco
4th April 2018, 04:57 PM
Just make sure they need replacing could just be doing it for the sake of it and noise is still there. Sounds like it could be the standard diesel chatter down low which is common in diesels especially with a big gearbox, yotas will do it too. Does it sound like a groaning noise when lugging near idle and low revs?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JackoGQYoot
4th April 2018, 07:34 PM
When I hit bumps when out wheeling, something in the front left of the engine bay thumps down and you can really feel it! Also, when I switch the engine off, there is quite a shudder.:confused:

MB
4th April 2018, 07:53 PM
Maybe an engine mount Jacko mate but worth giving the front left guard/body a quick yoink up and down to eliminate a body<>chassis mount maybe worn, worth a quick try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben-e-boy
4th April 2018, 08:16 PM
When I hit bumps when out wheeling, something in the front left of the engine bay thumps down and you can really feel it! Also, when I switch the engine off, there is quite a shudder.:confused:

Just get underneath with a pry bar and see what moves. You'll also be able to see if the engine mount is cracked just by looking at the rubber

JackoGQYoot
4th April 2018, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys sound advice there. don't want to go wasting money coz its pretty rare these days! :animierte-smil

Bidja
4th April 2018, 09:16 PM
New engine mounts good move, have a look at the current ones, check that they are bolted up securely and as previously stated, lever off the chassis and look for movement..Check other rubbers /bushes while having fun.

Stiff mounts may not good as mentioned, I put a 4 cyl diesel in SWB cruiser (replaced the much longer 6 cyl petrol), utilized existing chassis mount points (increased moment) used stiffer mounts and got excessive vibration thru veh and repeatable broke the alternator belt tension bracket. IMO, Use OEM build engine mounts.