PDA

View Full Version : New alternator now no dash lights:(

mudski
27th March 2018, 07:51 PM
I’m madly trying to fix the shitter for the weekend and so I don’t get accuse again, of not wanting to go away for Easter by the ball and chain. So the alternator died two weeks ago, finally get the new one, for it up, turn the key and nothing. No dash lights at all. Where I did before.
I did however manage to arc out a spanner on the main lead to the alternator when removing the old unit. So I checked all fuses and all are good. There’s no charge come from the alternator too.
Where do it check next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
27th March 2018, 08:01 PM
Mark, unsure if the GU is the same, but I did a similar thing installing my alternator on Sunday and it blew the 75amp fuse thats marked 'alternator' - bearing mind my is a GQ, but all the little cabin fuses were fine, car would not start either. Now noticed the charge is down also so suspect I may have damaged the second alternator somehow. Still getting 14.6 though. There is also a big arse fuse next to the alternator fuse for headlights on mine - again, stabbing in the dark but might help.

Bidja
27th March 2018, 09:13 PM
IT could be as simple as 10 amp fuse in cab fuse box. Have you got park lights working?

Couple weeks back returning home by self from Swan Hill, stopped at Wagga for fuel just on dusk. Turned on parkers noted no dash lights, bugger, did not need this had done 2000ks over 3 days (mum had passed away) stressed out just off me face on adrenaline. Rang wife, cool it she says it could be a fuse (she was right on), just one of those moments.

Mark, just read that you checked all fuses. OK

mudski
27th March 2018, 09:34 PM
Just found the big 100amp fuse is blown. The only one I could check with the DMM and it was the one dead. I hope the new alternator works....

Hodge
28th March 2018, 06:42 AM
Do you blokes not isolate stuff prior to doing major elec work. Lol

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

Bacho86
28th March 2018, 06:59 AM
Unfortunately I’m guilty of tripping the big one in the middle as well.... [emoji19] what does isolate mean? Lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/262.jpg

As a bush fix, you could join a piece of wire between the two blades and see is that gets you running to test the new alternator

Hope you get it fixed in time for your trip Mark, where abouts you going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
28th March 2018, 09:36 AM
Do you blokes not isolate stuff prior to doing major elec work. Lol

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

Makes resetting the clock another task, so no!!