PDA

View Full Version : Uhf issues

jay see
23rd March 2018, 11:52 PM
While out last weekend I was told by the other driver that he couldn't always hear me. Sometimes it was fine and clear and other times all he could hear was static.
Any ideas on where to start???

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Clunk
24th March 2018, 12:08 AM
While out last weekend I was told by the other driver that he couldn't always hear me. Sometimes it was fine and clear and other times all he could hear was static.

Sent from my A1601 using TapatalkAre you both using 40 channel or 80 channel, or one using 80 one using 40?

jay see
24th March 2018, 12:12 AM
Are you both using 40 channel or 80 channel, or one using 80 one using 40?Almost certain that both are 80, well I know mine is and pretty sure that his is aswell.

Clunk
24th March 2018, 02:02 AM
Maybe something to do with the squelch setting

AB
24th March 2018, 08:38 AM
Could also be the cable has come loose inside the aerial.

VK2FMIA
24th March 2018, 09:51 AM
As AB said, check your coax were it connects to the antenna. If the other radio is hearing static its probably the coax transmitting not the antenna. Mates was doing the same thing & that`s what the problem was.

jay see
24th March 2018, 11:05 AM
Cheers gents will investigate further.

On a different note.
I'm installing a redarc dual 12v gauge. Do the positives to the batteries really need to be fused?

Sorry to lazy to start a new thread.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/225.jpg

the evil twin
24th March 2018, 11:27 AM
In most circumstances the answer is yes.

The gauge is essentially the same as any other accessory off the Battery.
IE a short circuit in the positive 'sense' wire will heat the wire until it burns out.
In the process the hot wire can potentially cause a fire if it is in contact with plastics, vinyl, sound insulation etc. etc.

A fuse does the same IE excess current gets it so hot it melts but 'cause it is in a 'case' it isn't a fire hazard in and of itself

jay see
24th March 2018, 12:32 PM
Thanks ET.

PeeBee
24th March 2018, 07:01 PM

Terrain and antenna gain are probably at play here. For hilly Vic high country a 3dbi antenna will give you good coverage over a circular radiation over a short-sih range, say 1-3klm at best, but signal strength is usually adequate for convoy stuff. What i typically see is people using 6dbi antennas in convoys and sometimes they get heard, sometimes they don't. this is because the radiation patterns is more directional for greater range, but has limited capability to reach out over hilly terrain. This why you sometimes find small handheld uhf radios outperforming stick antennas in convoy circumstances as they are typically 2dbi gain, hence they put their power to best use.

I am guessing you either both have high gain antenna or one a high gain and one a low gain.

I run a 3dbi - 4dbi on my uhf, with a good antenna - zcg. I also have a 6,5dbi gain antenna for flatter country, again a zcg. My other uhf uses RFI antennas, 3dbi and 8dbi to great effect, in the right terrain.

Hope this helps.

jay see
24th March 2018, 07:24 PM
It does, but I don't know what the other guy has and is it was in convoy, but sometimes working and sometimes not.

Haven't got around to looking into this yet, maybe after dinner.

Thanks. [emoji106]

GQtdauto
24th March 2018, 07:34 PM
Had trouble with mine and first fault found was plug at the back where aerial screws in was loose , then found cable pinched by spare battery holder and at the moment it turns on when it wants to but have hand held just in case .

jay see
24th March 2018, 07:48 PM
Had trouble with mine and first fault found was plug at the back where aerial screws in was loose.

Funny that.

I just checked and they were both loose. Tighten up and checked with the handheld so far working as it should.

Thanks again gents... http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/229.jpg

PeeBee
24th March 2018, 07:56 PM
Tighten then up with a spanner, maybe a small dob of loctite 232 on the smaller cable fitting into the larger fitting.

Sprock
25th March 2018, 12:06 AM
Was reading this & saying to myself "I bet the small nut that screws the coax into the plug is loose" & sure enough I get to the end & there it is . So many new trucks these days have the exact same problem & so far I've had a 100% success rate with the diagnosis each time .

jay see
25th March 2018, 12:17 AM
Was reading this & saying to myself "I bet the small nut that screws the coax into the plug is loose" & sure enough I get to the end & there it is . So many new trucks these days have the exact same problem & so far I've had a 100% success rate with the diagnosis each time .Well picked Sprock. Would have been more helpful a few hours earlier.
Only stirring you up mate. I know you can handle it.

Sprock
26th March 2018, 02:59 PM
Haha go your hardest mate , when I dish out as much shit as I do I need to have a thick skin for return fire 😏

threedogs
26th March 2018, 05:51 PM
Run an earth from under the antenna to the earth of your battery,
its not always your unit causing problems.