PDA

View Full Version : Front Hub lock and 4wd questions

drgtr
16th March 2018, 08:14 AM
I have manual front hub locks.

- When I manually lock them. Its just locking wheel hub to Axel? Front Diff is still disengaged?
-If I have them to lock Can I Shift into 4wd High while Im driving say on the beach at 40kms?
-Say on fraser Island is it okay to keeps hubs locked and just go back to 2wd high if I go onto the resort which has sealed roads
-On sand do I just have front hub locked and 4wd high or low. Leave e locker rear disengaged or should I have rear locked on as soon as I hit the sand too

04OFF
16th March 2018, 08:34 AM
Yes you can do as you describe with hubs locked in no worries, except you can change into 4wd up to 80kph (with hubs locked)

Still need to stop going to and from low in all conditions.

You wont really need a locker for sand unless it gets soft, but id just run it anyway and turn off for bitumen (not much of that on Fraser)

:smile:

drgtr
16th March 2018, 08:37 AM
Thanks mate.

So what happens if you try to change above 80kmhs? Just wont allow or does something break?

With the lockers Id thought yeah If I turn and leave them on it will make going through the sand that tad easier with the soft sand inland tracks.

04OFF
16th March 2018, 10:31 AM
Well ive selected from 2H into 4wd (hubs locked) doing 100kph and had no problem, its just that 80kph is the suggested max,

But its just like ive done 60kph in low range and your not supposed to go that fast, but i think thats more to do with over speeding/heating the transfer case gears etc

Just because ive done it no problem, does not mean its ok and that "you" wont have a problem :smile:

the evil twin
16th March 2018, 11:05 AM
Free Wheeling Hubs -
You can leave them 'locked' from the day you drive out of the showroom if you want.
In 'free' they just save a tad of fuel, a bit of tyre wear and reduce emissions a teensy bit.
Indeed the Manual will say you should put them in 'lock' at regular intervals to keep the front end seals and diff lubed
Many companies and government bodies will have SOP's for their 4X's that state the FWH's will be left 'locked' at all times unless the vehicle is to driven on bitumen for extended periods (1 I know of stipulates 300 kilometres).

Diff Locks and Beaches/Dunes -
Diff locks don't do all that much on soft sand it's all about tyre pressure.
Sand usually provides equal albeit poor traction to all wheels.
So 'locking' an axle to ensure power reaches the wheel/s with the best traction can, but not always, be of little effect.
Locking the front diff (or locking both hubs if you have an auto locker) can actually make it worse on soft sand as the front may want to plough in on turns as the wheels cannot differentiate.

drgtr
16th March 2018, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys

SO on sand okay to stay in 2wd and go into 4wd when you need too or best to go into4wd?

I came from a prado so always have the full time 4wd and just locked centre diff for 50/50 front and rear when I needed too.

04OFF
16th March 2018, 11:39 AM
Locking the front diff (or locking both hubs if you have an auto locker) can actually make it worse on soft sand as the front may want to plough in on turns as the wheels cannot differentiate.

I have a Auto Locker in the front, and i find the car is actually better turning in soft sand, especially when turning out of the normal grooves or tracks used by everyone, you do have to adjust your driving style to suit having a Auto Locker, its only if you drive as if you still have a standard vehicle, it will it not steer well.

If you are doing a well used track, such as most of the inland tracks on fraser, you can have deep holes much like wombat holes, a locker will certainly help here on the sand.

04OFF
16th March 2018, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys

SO on sand okay to stay in 2wd and go into 4wd when you need too or best to go into4wd?

Go into 4x4 and stay in it, no hero points for doing stuff in 2wd just because you "can", all you do is chew up the tracks for everyone else.

Plus ive seen someone get stuck wrecking their car, up at Bribie Island, and all because he selected 2wd to drive on the hard sand, but forgot to put his car into 4x4 before doing a water crossing, it ended bad for him.

drgtr
16th March 2018, 12:00 PM
I have a Auto Locker in the front, and i find the car is actually better turning in soft sand, especially when turning out of the normal grooves or tracks used by everyone, you do have to adjust your driving style to suit having a Auto Locker, its only if you drive as if you still have a standard vehicle, it will it not steer well.

If you are doing a well used track, such as most of the inland tracks on fraser, you can have deep holes much like wombat holes, a locker will certainly help here on the sand.

thanks.
No detriment to the locker itself if I have the locker on all the time in the sand?

04OFF
16th March 2018, 12:59 PM
thanks.
No detriment to the locker itself if I have the locker on all the time in the sand?

Yeh no drama, sand will offer little resistance to a rear locker, less strain on it than driving dirt or rocks etc.

mudnut
16th March 2018, 01:55 PM
As ET has already posted, tyre pressures are critical on sand. I prefer 15-18 psi for normal sand.

I have had the tyres down to 10 psi to get up dunes where there is soft sand or no run up area at the bottom.

The trick is not to turn too sharply at those lower pressure, or you might roll the tyres off the rim. Don't be put off experimenting with tyre pressures to suit your vehicle, tyres and terrain.

With the correct pressure, the vehicle should roll to a stop, not dig in or bog down. This will ensure you are not putting too much stress on the drive train and engine too.

drgtr
16th March 2018, 04:36 PM
As ET has already posted, tyre pressures are critical on sand. I prefer 15-18 psi for normal sand.

I have had the tyres down to 10 psi to get up dunes where there is soft sand or no run up area at the bottom.

The trick is not to turn too sharply at those lower pressure, or you might roll the tyres off the rim. Don't be putt off experimenting with tyre pressures to suit your vehicle, tyres and terrain.

With the correct pressure, the vehicle should roll to a stop, not dig in or bog down. This will ensure you are not putting too much stress on the drive train and engine too.

Stress on the engine is the last thing I want on a 40 degree day on the hot sand with a td42ti lol.

I wonder what my coolant temps will be like on the sand .

Though at stockton beach on hot 38 degree day and soft sand. My newish v6 prado 120 was sitting on 99 degrees c too

mudnut
16th March 2018, 05:56 PM
A TD 42 will romp it in, if the cooling system is in good nick. Take it out locally, perfect your technique and check it if you are at all concerned.

drgtr
16th March 2018, 06:58 PM
A TD 42 will romp it in, if the cooling system is in good nick. Take it out locally, perfect your technique and check it if you are at all concerned.

Yeah. Thats what I want to hear!

happygu
16th March 2018, 07:04 PM
I rarely ever take mine out of 4wd when I am on the sand, as you never know what is around the corner and you are much better off not getting stuck. The real question is High Range 4wd or Low Range 4wd, and for the most of it, High Range 4wd will be fine

The are always exceptions to the 'rules' as sometimes sand can be like concrete..... however, i would never take mine out of 4wd at Robe in SA ... well you can if you like :first:

drgtr
16th March 2018, 07:13 PM
Same here. Prado was always in 4wd centre diff locked high.