PDA

View Full Version : Using trailer wire.

jay see
14th March 2018, 12:22 PM
Wanting to rewire by my USB, switchers and plugs from my fuse block. Would trailer wire be OK.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
14th March 2018, 01:04 PM
Yes if they are only switching relays and USB plugs. it will be fine. i have recently sources some 15amp 7 core HD trailer wire from Jaycar which i will run up on the roof of the GQ for LED Strip Lighting and a couple of LED work lights.

jay see
14th March 2018, 01:38 PM
Yes if they are only switching relays and USB plugs. it will be fine. i have recently sources some 15amp 7 core HD trailer wire from Jaycar which i will run up on the roof of the GQ for LED Strip Lighting and a couple of LED work lights.Thanks mate.

Going to do it properly this time.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

neilo99
6th April 2018, 04:37 PM
FYI, as a rule of thumb always use double the actual rating to be safe. The Kings 22" LED bar draws about 7amps at full blast, so a 15amp or higher cable would suit best.
But if you are going the full width with a 43" bar you will need to pump almost 10amps, so you would be better off with a heavier cable.
The 6" bars only draw about 1.3amps, so you could run 2 or 3 of these in parallel with 10amp cable, and not even need a relay.

Flex
4th May 2018, 03:19 PM
I always use a voltage drop calculator for all wiring. Wire/ cable that is rated for 15 Amps won't catch on fire at 15 Amp, however at 15 Amps it will have a considerable voltage drop.
For example wiring a fridge which is located in the back of a vehicle I would use a 5mm2 minimum which would give around 0.68V drop @ 10A. Don't forget to add the negative cable length in the calculator, not just the positive.
Here's a web site for the calculator:
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/voltage-drop-calculator.html

threedogs
5th May 2018, 03:19 PM
Good to hear do it once do it right too many using scotch locs or just twisting them together.
fully soldered and heat shrink, carefull not to crimp wires putting it all back together,
Drop in one time John been too long eh