PDA

View Full Version : Build time

JackCollo
7th March 2018, 10:09 PM
Alright so the time has finally come to start to expensive process of pulling apart the old td42 that has been sitting in the garage for ages and rebuilding it and putting a turbo a 12mm pump and a nice big inter cooler in place of the zd30 which IMO has done bloody marvellously considering it’s the factory motor which did 280,000 with no nads at all factory everything original. It got to 318,975kms in 18 years not bad for a grenade.
But back to business for internals I was thinking the engines Australia rods and ceramic toped pistons, turbo was thinking a garret gtx3076r, intercooler I was looking at cross country but haven’t decided yet.

A few things I am uncertain of are
High flow injectors
High flow water pump
High flow oil pump

That’s all for now for all those interested in following the build along with my mark this thread bc this will be my build thread whenever I get the chance to upload updates I will and lots of pictures.

Cheers guys for all your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touses
8th March 2018, 12:43 PM
Hi bloke. Thinking that garret 3076 is getting into V8 petty territory.
I'm running a 2863 and 11mm pump. Lots of pull out of it. Check with nissannewby for his recommendations re turbo size.
Beyond that some of the guys are running a Borg Warner to great effect.

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 01:21 PM
Hi bloke. Thinking that garret 3076 is getting into V8 petty territory.
I'm running a 2863 and 11mm pump. Lots of pull out of it. Check with nissannewby for his recommendations re turbo size.
Beyond that some of the guys are running a Borg Warner to great effect.

There are a few people running really good boost with the 0.64a/r gtx3076 was thinking it was a good size turbo not to small or not to big that it doesn’t make boost for the low down torque

Rossco
8th March 2018, 01:58 PM
Hey mate i would seriously coincider Borg Warner for turbo, EFR 6758 is a good size. If your after power and want to future proof it in case you want to tweak it up further down the track i would go for 12mm pump.

Not sure about high flow injectors think it's more of a wankey catch phrase, more depends I the pressure they are set to crack at which should be done with a tune. Not sure on high flow water pump either mine has a standard one and seems fine.

Personally prefer front mount intercooler and are a huge amount cheaper that a CC one too. High flow oil pump wouldn't have a clue in that one but would assume standard would be fine depending on how crazy yoy want to go I guess. Also need to think about what you want it for too really, how much power you really need versus reliability / drivrability etc. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rossco
8th March 2018, 02:00 PM
Hey mate i would seriously coincider Borg Warner for turbo, EFR 6758 is a good size. If your after power and want to future proof it in case you want to tweak it up further down the track i would go for 12mm pump.

Not sure about high flow injectors think it's more of a wankey catch phrase, more depends I the pressure they are set to crack at which should be done with a tune. Not sure on high flow water pump either mine has a standard one and seems fine.

Personally prefer front mount intercooler and are a huge amount cheaper that a CC one too. High flow oil pump wouldn't have a clue in that one but would assume standard would be fine depending on how crazy yoy want to go I guess. Also need to think about what you want it for too really, how much power you really need versus reliability / drivrability etc. . .

Edit: just saw you are planning to run 12mm pump lol.

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 02:47 PM
Yeah true I suppose it’s worth having a look do you know what kind of boost the borg Warner can handle.

Was thinking of doing the front mount I haven’t seen one on a gu before.

Rossco
8th March 2018, 03:02 PM
Up to 30 psi without a drama I believe and past that if you really need it that is. Front mount on GU world be a pisser there's heaps of room in there compared to a GQ at least.

Tip12345
8th March 2018, 03:15 PM
I have a 600 x300x80mm front mount intercooler .
Its the way to go try HPT they still make one .

Tip12345
8th March 2018, 03:19 PM
don't forget to look at the valve seats . Watch the valve clearance !
they tend to disappear ! . its a replacement valve seat does the trick .
we have had a few come in lately with bad seats ..

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 03:20 PM
Up to 30 psi without a drama I believe and past that if you really need it that is. Front mount on GU world be a pisser there's heaps of room in there compared to a GQ at least.

Ok that’s what I want to run. With the ability to maybe go into thirties

Ben-e-boy
8th March 2018, 03:56 PM
Alright so the time has finally come to start to expensive process of pulling apart the old td42 that has been sitting in the garage for ages and rebuilding it and putting a turbo a 12mm pump and a nice big inter cooler in place of the zd30 which IMO has done bloody marvellously considering it’s the factory motor which did 280,000 with no nads at all factory everything original. It got to 318,975kms in 18 years not bad for a grenade.
But back to business for internals I was thinking the engines Australia rods and ceramic toped pistons, turbo was thinking a garret gtx3076r, intercooler I was looking at cross country but haven’t decided yet.

A few things I am uncertain of are
High flow injectors
High flow water pump
High flow oil pump

That’s all for now for all those interested in following the build along with my mark this thread bc this will be my build thread whenever I get the chance to upload updates I will and lots of pictures.

Cheers guys for all your help

U need to go back to the other thread that you started a while back and re read.

Genuine Pistons ONLY (Mahle/Izumi). If they dont have UD stamped on the inside of the skirt they aren't good enough.

3076 is shit on a td. Better than a 2876 but still lazy,

Factory turbo oil pump

Standard injectors at standard crack pressure

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 06:26 PM
Alrighty thanks ben-e-boy

With the genuine pistons would the factory turbo pistons fit the non turbo block I know it’s a dumb question but I’m happy to upgrade the rods to suit the size.

Alright I’ll probably go with the borgwarner

Ok cool I’ll make a note

Ben-e-boy
8th March 2018, 06:39 PM
Alrighty thanks ben-e-boy

With the genuine pistons would the factory turbo pistons fit the non turbo block I know it’s a dumb question but I’m happy to upgrade the rods to suit the size.

Alright I’ll probably go with the borgwarner

Ok cool I’ll make a note

They will only fit the rods from a post August 95 Blacktop ( although there is the odd miss match motor)as they share the 30mm pins with the turbo motor. Pre August 95 will be 28mm pins.

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 06:55 PM
They will only fit the rods from a post August 95 Blacktop ( although there is the odd miss match motor)as they share the 30mm pins with the turbo motor. Pre August 95 will be 28mm pins.

So would I be able to pull the internals from a turbo motor and put them in the non turbo block I have? God I sound stupid hahaha trying to wrap my head around this

Ben-e-boy
8th March 2018, 07:27 PM
So would I be able to pull the internals from a turbo motor and put them in the non turbo block I have? God I sound stupid hahaha trying to wrap my head around this

Only pistons and rods

mudski
8th March 2018, 07:31 PM
U need to go back to the other thread that you started a while back and re read.

Genuine Pistons ONLY (Mahle/Izumi). If they dont have UD stamped on the inside of the skirt they aren't good enough.

3076 is shit on a td. Better than a 2876 but still lazy,

Factory turbo oil pump

Standard injectors at standard crack pressure

I'd love to whack a BW on mine to compare with the 3071 I have. I was asked a while ago what mine goes like. I could only compare it to being like a two stroke motorbike. Not a great deal down low than, bam it hits! Fun in the wet though. Lol. But thats what I have, I can't afford to buy a BW just to see, so it stays. As for intercoolers, front mount seems to be the go. My only concern is the extra cooler in front of the radiator, these motors can run hot as its well documented, so I am just wary of restricting air flow.
But if you listen to Ben and Mat, these two know their shit, you'll build a beast.
If you want to go top mount. I'll sell you my Cross Country Ultimate top mount. Lol .All you'll need is a scoop...

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 07:52 PM
Only pistons and rods

Awesome thanks beneboy you legend

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 07:58 PM
I'd love to whack a BW on mine to compare with the 3071 I have. I was asked a while ago what mine goes like. I could only compare it to being like a two stroke motorbike. Not a great deal down low than, bam it hits! Fun in the wet though. Lol. But thats what I have, I can't afford to buy a BW just to see, so it stays. As for intercoolers, front mount seems to be the go. My only concern is the extra cooler in front of the radiator, these motors can run hot as its well documented, so I am just wary of restricting air flow.
But if you listen to Ben and Mat, these two know their shit, you'll build a beast.
If you want to go top mount. I'll sell you my Cross Country Ultimate top mount. Lol .All you'll need is a scoop...

Yeah I’m looking for a lot of low down grunt.

mudski
8th March 2018, 08:08 PM

It would be bloody grouse to actually do a turbo swap and physically see and feel the difference for sure. Before building my TD I had never driven one. Not even a stock TD. So I have only ever had mine to compare to well, nothing. So my opinion doesn't really count. But mine does have low down grunt as you say, but I have zero idea, what is like to say AB's setup. You are welcome to come over one day and take mine for a spin to see if you like.

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 08:08 PM
Well pistons and rods is all I need really so perfect thanks Ben-e-boy you legend

JackCollo
8th March 2018, 08:18 PM
Well mark I’d be stupid not to take up that offer but don’t worry there will be a bottle of jack in it for you

Ben-e-boy
8th March 2018, 08:28 PM

Something you wont even remotely come close too with an off the shelf 3076

MudRunnerTD
8th March 2018, 09:09 PM

I have this Borg Warner on my GUIV running 28psi all day. So impressed with the output and torque curve and know it's not even working hard in my car.

Um just about to fit a 12mm UFI pump and front mount cooler and 4" snorkel. Can't wait t o unlock this thing.

JackCollo
9th March 2018, 10:17 PM
Yeah it sounds like what I’m looking for in the truck.

Oh please let me know how that goes I’d be really interested in knowing.

JackCollo
9th March 2018, 10:20 PM
Also does anyone know the main front pulley nut size for the gq td42 i can’t figure out. And it’s driving me nuts

Ben-e-boy
10th March 2018, 07:10 AM
41mm for silver top, 55mm for the rest

JackCollo
10th March 2018, 09:44 AM
41mm for silver top, 55mm for the rest

Champion thanks beneboy
Any other recommendations for what I should do the motor while rebuilding? Heard good things about multi angle valve grinds

Ben-e-boy
10th March 2018, 05:44 PM
Champion thanks beneboy
Any other recommendations for what I should do the motor while rebuilding? Heard good things about multi angle valve grinds

Everything I have been prepared to discuss is in your other thread. I'd reread it.

JackCollo
10th March 2018, 07:03 PM
All good thanks Ben-e-boy

I’ll use the info from that but make this the new thread for people to follow for my build

JackCollo
11th March 2018, 03:46 PM
Anyone got any helpful hints removing the main pulley nut

nissannewby
11th March 2018, 06:24 PM
3/4 Rattle gun.

nissannewby
11th March 2018, 06:33 PM

We have pushed them to 37-39psi just to see. A Borg Warner 6758 can pump more than enough volume for a TD42 at 200rwkw at only 30psi.

Dont get caught up in psi values as it is only a small part of the picture.

The new g series garretts are fairly good but the 3076 you mention is no good for a td42 even in a race application.

JackCollo
12th March 2018, 02:23 PM
Ok awesome thank nissannewby

Off to total tools to get a 41mm socket.

JackCollo
13th March 2018, 07:05 PM
Hey guys so was just out working on the motor and have just realised that I didn’t mark the position of the gear that turns the injector pump. Now the question is does it matter too much where the injector pump gear is. I know I need to mark all of the other gears for the crank and the cam and what not to get the timing right when the motor goes back together.

Ben-e-boy
13th March 2018, 07:25 PM
Hey guys so was just out working on the motor and have just realised that I didn’t mark the position of the gear that turns the injector pump. Now the question is does it matter too much where the injector pump gear is. I know I need to mark all of the other gears for the crank and the cam and what not to get the timing right when the motor goes back together.

They have marks on them, and do you have a manual?

AB
13th March 2018, 07:38 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/119.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/120.jpg

Injector pump cog Z line up in middle of main cog and make sure the key of ip is firmly in.

Jack mate, definitely need manual mate and follow torque settings too, take your time and do it properly.

Your timing will be way out too unless you get the tool or get it over to someone to time it as you're timing will be completely wrong mate.

AB
13th March 2018, 07:41 PM
Make sure the crank is tdc too by lining up the marks as per the side of my first photo too. Download the manual mate'

JackCollo
13th March 2018, 08:04 PM
Ok cool so line up the zz on the injector to the z on main crank

JackCollo
13th March 2018, 08:12 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/121.jpg

Found it guys hahaha thank god for the Haynes manual

JackCollo
13th March 2018, 08:24 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/132.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures but found the proper one [emoji1303]

JackCollo
14th March 2018, 11:58 AM
Anyone know any good machining shops to do the head and the block for me. Also I won’t need to have the cylinders honed because I’m replacing the sleeves is this right

Rossco
14th March 2018, 12:13 PM
Where abouts are you mate, liners will need to be honed they don't come finished.

JackCollo
14th March 2018, 02:06 PM
I’m in east and south east Victoria.
Ok awesome thanks I’ll make not of that

Ben-e-boy
14th March 2018, 04:41 PM
Anyone know any good machining shops to do the head and the block for me. Also I won’t need to have the cylinders honed because I’m replacing the sleeves is this right

Any one who will not use liquid nigrogen to install your liners. Specify that. PRESS FIT ONLY. DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU OTHERWISE. specify it and even make them sign before commencing work.
Some people drop the liner the last few mm and that can and HAS caused tiny fractures around the fire ring. This can and HAS caused the liner to drop, this causes catastrophic failure. The piston goes down to BDC and drags the liner with it, forcing it into the crankshaft. This has happened and no doubt will happen again

JackCollo
14th March 2018, 04:46 PM
Bloody hell will definitely make sure no liquid nitrogen and I’ll make them sign for it.

JackCollo
14th March 2018, 05:25 PM
How do I know if they have used liquid nitrogen?

Rossco
14th March 2018, 05:40 PM
Don't think you could tell just have to take their word for it. There's a bloke in Clayton who is really good if that's not too far. . .

JackCollo
14th March 2018, 05:43 PM
Nah Clayton is easy for me

Rossco
14th March 2018, 07:31 PM
Oh cool, Google go2 engines and give Omar a call see how you go. .

JackCollo
15th March 2018, 05:51 PM
Spoke to go2 motors today and they said they freeze the liners before pressing them in. Also they won’t machine the motor if I am rebuilding the motor myself bc of warranty and the blame game that can come afterwards.

Rossco
16th March 2018, 08:45 AM
Hmm, could try Duggan engineering in Reservoir if not there's a couple of places in Bayswater but can't remember names. .

nissannewby
16th March 2018, 10:17 AM
Liquid nitrogen is a problem due to the rate of contraction on the liner causing micro fractures thus weaking the liner
Placing the liner in the fridge or freezer prior to install is fine as the liner contracts in a much more controlled manner.

JackCollo
17th March 2018, 07:24 AM
Ok that was my only real worry.
Thanks guys for clearing that up. I’m gonna be uploading some pictures of the motor soon and the whole process of pulling the old grenade out of the trol

JackCollo
19th March 2018, 09:22 PM
Does anyone have any idea what socket to use for the end caps for the pistons. Can’t seem to get a good grip on one. A 15mm fits but i don’t want to risk getting stuck with a stripped nut

JackCollo
20th March 2018, 01:48 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/205.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/206.jpg

Got the motor and the block apart

AB
20th March 2018, 06:54 PM
Very good mate, did you take the head off in sequence of the manual?

Only reason I ask is that there's a specific sequence in undoing the bolts and we, I, some have not followed that before.

Ben-e-boy
20th March 2018, 07:11 PM
Very good mate, did you take the head off in sequence of the manual?

Only reason I ask is that there's a specific sequence in undoing the bolts and we, I, some have not followed that before.

They got roused on too! Lol

JackCollo
20th March 2018, 08:21 PM
Yeah I followed the procedure as best I could

Rossco
20th March 2018, 08:26 PM
How's it all look, how many K's and whats the reason for rebuild? (Sorry might have missed some of it previously)

JackCollo
20th March 2018, 08:45 PM
All good Rossco so basically I bought the motor off a mate it’s got 400,000+kms on the motor and the reason for a rebuild was I’ve always wanted to rebuild one so why not. Also would love to be able to turn the key and know how much effort I put into the motor.

Rossco
20th March 2018, 08:50 PM
Yeah nice sure it will come up awesome and should be fun, enjoy. . .

JackCollo
24th March 2018, 09:31 PM
So the series of photos I am about to upload are from the crankshaft. 5 of them are fine one is not. I’ll let you guess which one

JackCollo
24th March 2018, 09:33 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/231.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/232.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/233.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/234.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/235.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/236.jpg

JackCollo
24th March 2018, 09:40 PM
There is some surface contaminants on the others from being in the garage for a while but the damaged one I just took out.

Rossco
24th March 2018, 09:51 PM
Ooh ouch. . .

JackCollo
24th March 2018, 10:05 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/237.jpg
The good one
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/238.jpg
The shit one

JackCollo
24th March 2018, 10:57 PM
Do you think they could save the crank shaft? Polish it out

Rossco
25th March 2018, 07:22 AM
Yeah bugger bet your glad it's getting a rebuild now. Had the bearing spun on the journal or just buggered? Expect it's a result of low oil or lack of oil changes most likely ? ? Looks fairly substantial, machine shop will know once it's measured or might have to be ground to see how much needs to be taken off to get it good again. Not sure what over size the bearings go up to will determine the repaiability.

JackCollo
25th March 2018, 04:17 PM
I think that some debris or something had gotten into the motor and in the journal because they were in the right spot.

Yeah hopefully it can be repaired

Will I need o/s or u/s Conrod bearings?

JackCollo
25th March 2018, 09:57 PM
Has anyone had any dealings with crankshaft rebuilders in Blackburn thinking about giving them a call but didn’t wanna waste my time. Open to all opinions.

JackCollo
29th March 2018, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know the best place to source genuine Izumi or Mahle turbo pistons for the td42

Rossco
29th March 2018, 05:17 PM
Try this mob.

https://partsouq.com/

mudski
29th March 2018, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know the best place to source genuine Izumi or Mahle turbo pistons for the td42

SMS Diesel sell Mahle from memory. Try Engine Australia too...

JackCollo
30th March 2018, 03:01 PM
Thanks mark I’ll give them a bell
How’s your car going mate?

JackCollo
22nd April 2018, 01:31 PM
It’s been a little while since my last post but work has kept me from my patrol. So now the gruelling task of pulling the old motor and trans out is upon me and I have no idea where to start. Anyone have any suggestions.

Rossco
22nd April 2018, 01:40 PM
Start with taking off the bonnet then just chip away at it. Label wiring to make it easier, if your air con is all working just unbolt the compressor and zip tie it to the chassis so you don't need to regas it. A few beers & tunes might help, enjoy . . .

mudski
22nd April 2018, 07:35 PM
Start with taking off the bonnet then just chip away at it. Label wiring to make it easier, if your air con is all working just unbolt the compressor and zip tie it to the chassis so you don't need to regas it. A few beers & tunes might help, enjoy . . .

He'll need to remove the a/c compressor. Cant use the ZD compressor on the TD. But as Rossco has said. just start unplugging the loom. But remove it entirely, it goes into the firewall and plugs into the ECU. As you will need to send that loom off to get converted, if your going that way. I did and it was easy. It came back and just plugged in to every it was supposed to for a TD42. You might need to contact killa kustoms about your loom as you are going from auto to manual as well.

After thats all out, its just a matter of disconnecting everything. Which wont take long. I reckon it took me an afternoon to totally remove everything on and around the motor..

Rossco
22nd April 2018, 09:30 PM
Yeah thought that might have been the case, couldn't remember what the conversion was from [emoji6] . . .

JackCollo
24th April 2018, 03:48 PM
Beautiful guys sounds easy will take lots of pics and videos. I’m sure I will come across a few stubborn bolts

mudski
24th April 2018, 09:47 PM
Beautiful guys sounds easy will take lots of pics and videos. I’m sure I will come across a few stubborn bolts

Its actually much easier than you think. Just label shit as you go if you want. I didn't. And the loom I got done from Killa was just plug and pray. As I laid it out, everything just went where it was supposed to.
The hardest parts was, which I never did, was the removal and instal of the new mounts to the chassis. The rest pretty much just drops in.

JackCollo
28th April 2018, 08:09 PM
Yeah I feel like getting the motor in is the easiest part and with it being a Nissan motor there is no wondering if it will fit. I think plumbing up everything is gonna be the hardest part. Like the A/C and what not.

Yeah gonna Label the shit out of everything. Because it’s gonna be a long build so I’ll forget

AB
28th April 2018, 08:21 PM
Nah that's the fun part mate and you'll learn heaps!

Take your time, get a decent torque wrench, follow the manual, label everything and enjoy!

JackCollo
3rd May 2018, 12:36 AM
Any brands for torque wrenches
Also any ideas for labelling and sorting, a trip to Bunnings is in order.

Rossco
3rd May 2018, 06:31 AM
I've Just got a kinchrome one which works fine for most stuff. If you want to do it nice get a small one too for doing smaller stuff under 50nm ish. Not sure about the harmonic balancer might need a big boy for the nut on that they're pretty crazy tight everything else will be right.

When i did the body swap i just used a heap of zip lock bags labeled clearly and put them in a tub. Wires put some masking tape around and label.

How's the machining going?

Reddave
3rd May 2018, 03:15 PM
Get a Whiteboard and marker or go get a whiteout pen, write on one of the windows, make sure you write all the little jobs down.

That way you can mark off little things and you feel like you're getting somewhere and it doesn't feel as daunting if you're achieving things

Daveyboyjunior
3rd May 2018, 04:41 PM
That's great advice chaps.
A build or at least a refurb on mine is something I'd like to do one day.
Go for it Jack!
Ps. I wish we had a Bunnings over here! Haha

Ben-e-boy
3rd May 2018, 05:24 PM
That's great advice chaps.
A build or at least a refurb on mine is something I'd like to do one day.
Go for it Jack!
Ps. I wish we had a Bunnings over here! Haha

You do/did! It's not going to well for them apparently

https://www.bunnings.co.uk/our-stores

AB
3rd May 2018, 05:38 PM
You do/did! It's not going to well for them apparently

https://www.bunnings.co.uk/our-stores

Different quality Bunnings snags is killing them!

JackCollo
3rd May 2018, 05:41 PM
I’ll do some research

Yeah the machining is in the wing at the moment been really busy at work and that so the car hasn’t been touched for a while.

JackCollo
3rd May 2018, 05:43 PM
I like the ziplock idea might be good for clips and little pieces.

I’ll upload some pictures this weekend when I have time

Rossco
3rd May 2018, 06:17 PM
Yeah white board is great. Used that when i did my rebuild, less prone to forget stuff and good feeling scrubbing things of the list. [emoji6]

JackCollo
6th May 2018, 03:18 PM
It’s gonna be a bloody long list of things I tell you that much might need two hahaha

I’ll find time for it eventually