PDA

View Full Version : EDS Engine Data Scan

neilo99
6th March 2018, 09:07 PM
Hi.

I am following up the thread at http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?31691-EDS-engine-data-scan-vs-Scanguage-II.

I got myself an EDS Engine Data Scan (https://www.enginedatascan.com/) because my 2008 GU ST doesn't have any fuel economy info on its dashboard display.
I thought it would be a sweet little add-on, low cost easy to install, what could go wrong?

But I have since learned that it doesn't work so well on a GU.
The device has been shown to work ok BEFORE you program any specific data like engine size, fuel type etc. BUT, if you do enter the fuel type the Trip Meter will stop working and it will display ** NOT SUPPORTED**. (see above thread)
I can verify that that was the case with my device. I reset it and entered everything except the Fuel Type and it appears to work.

BUT.....

Im not sure how accurate the readings are..... Its telling me that my 3.0L GU is sucking around 32L/100km (LHK). Now, I know my beast is a bit thirsty, but that is definitely not accurate!

The instructions that come with the device are not great and it does take some trial and error before even figuring out what they mean. I suspect I have done more of the error bit.

Keen to hear if anyone has had the same issue, no issue or found a way to sort out the issue.

drgtr
7th March 2018, 04:54 PM
On the Scanguage LHK means the live data. It will fluctuate greatly. As in the current moment while you are driving

have you got one that says AVG or something? That will be the average for that trip.Thats the one you would want

Bacho86
7th March 2018, 07:15 PM
I found my gauge to be a PITA for a trip computer function as well, very overrated. I’ve still got it installed, but just really use it for eng temp and battery voltage read out - wanted an easy to read “boost” indication as well, but this was way too complicated with the eds!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilo99
9th March 2018, 11:03 AM
On the Scanguage LHK means the live data. It will fluctuate greatly. As in the current moment while you are driving

have you got one that says AVG or something? That will be the average for that trip.Thats the one you would want

Yes, there is a live data reading that understandably fluctuates madly. But also an Average LHK on the Total Trip meter:74685

neilo99
9th March 2018, 11:07 AM
I found my gauge to be a PITA for a trip computer function as well, very overrated. I’ve still got it installed, but just really use it for eng temp and battery voltage read out - wanted an easy to read “boost” indication as well, but this was way too complicated with the eds!!

My concern is how reliable are any of the readings, if one or two are obviously incorrect!

Bacho86
9th March 2018, 11:18 AM
My concern is how reliable are any of the readings, if one or two are obviously incorrect!

The eds is only a read out from the factory sensors / computer, so as long as the information going to these inputs is quality, I’d have no reason to doubt the output.

The fuel readings are a completely different matter, because they require user input and also calibration they are open to errors and inconsistencies

neilo99
10th March 2018, 08:58 AM
That makes sense Bacho86.
I have been in contact with the EDS website by email. All they could say to me was to try it on another compatible car and see if it does the same.
Hardly a solution if you ask me, because I dont have another compatible car!

the evil twin
10th March 2018, 12:40 PM

Over a couple of hundred thousand K's I found that, once calibrated, the Scangauge to be spot on with the only exception being extended 4WD on surfaces with poor traction namely soft beach or a day playing in mud.
Obviously no non-GPS instrument will work accurately in that case as the distance sensing is inaccurate IE speedo, odo, etc will all be out due to wheel slip.
When touring I found that if the Scangauge said I had used, say, 140 litres then that is what it would take to fill the tanks +/- 2 or 3 litres.
Speed was within +/- 1 KPH of GPS
Boost seemed pretty good also, certainly close enough not to warrant a separate Boost gauge

Can't speak for the EDS as I have no experience with that device.

Bacho86
13th March 2018, 05:01 PM
For those running the EDS gauge on a CRD, what does your ect normally sit at? Mine is normally around 88-93 around town in the warmer weather, which I think is a bit hot. Then towing the camper trailer up the massive hill on Melba Hwy approaching toolangi it hit 100 on the crest of the hill, before cooling back down

the evil twin
13th March 2018, 06:30 PM
Exactly what my Temps were (Scangauge not EDS but should be the same display data anyway).

88 When riding the thermostat just open.
88 to low 90's around town or cruising
Anywhere in the 90's to mid 100 (104 to 106) when towing in outback WA in 40 plus heat
Did on rare occasion hit 108/9

drgtr
2nd April 2018, 09:24 PM
For those running the EDS gauge on a CRD, what does your ect normally sit at? Mine is normally around 88-93 around town in the warmer weather, which I think is a bit hot. Then towing the camper trailer up the massive hill on Melba Hwy approaching toolangi it hit 100 on the crest of the hill, before cooling back down

It only reads using factory sensors. When I had similar issues I dumped the trans fluid and placed with new one.
This made a huge difference.

Also in the end I also installed an external Oil Trans Cooler. Dropped another 10 degrees .

EFIwindsor
6th April 2018, 10:42 AM
Exactly what my Temps were (Scangauge not EDS but should be the same display data anyway).

88 When riding the thermostat just open.
88 to low 90's around town or cruising
Anywhere in the 90's to mid 100 (104 to 106) when towing in outback WA in 40 plus heat
Did on rare occasion hit 108/9

my temps are similar since i flushed the coolant and had the radiator removed and cleaned internally and externally. They also cleaned my air con condenser.
I measure my with a ultragauge

Bidja
6th April 2018, 02:09 PM
my temps are similar since i flushed the coolant and had the radiator removed and cleaned internally and externally. They also cleaned my air con condenser.
I measure my with a ultragauge

UltraGauge EM Plus have one and very good, especially for displaying kW and N-m reference readings(08 GU CRD_3.1t). ECT 90-95 nom cruising various terrain and light tow 900kg. Not enough 40+ ambient temps to comment.

Have an EDS gauge if some one wants it. PM me with an offer.

neilo99
6th April 2018, 04:22 PM
Just did a few hundred k's towing a small Jayco. My ECT was pretty much the same 99-93.

neilo99
6th April 2018, 04:29 PM
I did recently learn from the guy at the 4wd shop that the EDS calculates the fuel economy from the data that the user inputs each time they refuel. It does not measure the amount of fuel flowing out of the tank or entering the cylinders. Therefore it will always only be an estimate.

When I (intentionally) entered the wrong tank size and got a fuel economy of 8 LHK it was great pretending I was getting such awesome economy from my 3.0l deisel. But in the back of mind I knew it was just a dream.... the reality is about 16 LHK, 19.5 if towing the Jayco..... :(

Can anyone reccomend a good mod chip for towing economy?

the evil twin
6th April 2018, 05:21 PM
Uuuummm I call bollocks on the shop guy.

The logger (EDS, Scangauge etc) all calculate the fuel useage from the amount of fuel entering the cylinders.
They do this by using data from the ECU on the injector open timings which is why they are so accurate and is also why they do not need any tank flow sensors etc.
They use the given engine size to 'ball park' the numbers initially and rely on the first couple of refuels to fine tune for each individual engine/pump/injector pressure or if you have a chip.
That is why you have to enter the amount of fuel you used for the first couple of refuels and then never have to touch them again unless you swap vehicles (I used mine in 3 different family vehicles, a patrol a Mitsi and a Suzi.

I never bothered with tank capacity, distance to go etc and as long as the fuel added and speed error parameters are set correctly the loggers will be damn near spot on.
If you do that for each vehicle and note the skew for each vehicle you can swap them around to your hearts content.
Well, at least mine certainly was never more than 1 to 2% out every time I fueled up over the couple of hundred thousand K's I had my CRD.

I ran a DP chip[ 'cause that is what was on mine when I got it and it was great.
If I had the cabbage i would do an ECU remap tho.

Bidja
6th April 2018, 08:31 PM
Can anyone reccomend a good mod chip for towing economy?
x2 for ECU remap. Same model as yours (mine manual), with ECU Remap, other eng mods and on the way for turbo (upgrade) and improved flow ducting.

As a starting point:

What mods to your eng now?

Depends what you really want, how many $$$ (cabbages) you wish to hand over and also consider how long you will keep the vehicle.

When you start mods on your motor it is more than just putting bits on you need to monitor what is going on.
There are certainly gains to be made with engine mods. You do not need to do every thing to get an improvement.

mountaingoat
1st February 2022, 11:54 AM
Over a couple of hundred thousand K's I found that, once calibrated, the Scangauge to be spot on with the only exception being extended 4WD on surfaces with poor traction namely soft beach or a day playing in mud.
Obviously no non-GPS instrument will work accurately in that case as the distance sensing is inaccurate IE speedo, odo, etc will all be out due to wheel slip.
When touring I found that if the Scangauge said I had used, say, 140 litres then that is what it would take to fill the tanks +/- 2 or 3 litres.
Speed was within +/- 1 KPH of GPS
Boost seemed pretty good also, certainly close enough not to warrant a separate Boost gauge

Can't speak for the EDS as I have no experience with that device.

What MAP readings were you getting?

mountaingoat
1st February 2022, 11:55 AM
What MAP readings were you getting?