PDA

View Full Version : Patrol dreamer!

Nick-o-larse
5th March 2018, 08:00 PM
Hey people! Hope your all good. I'm a new official Aussie resident from pome land!

Live down the South Coast, NSW and love it!

Dreaming of owning a patrol 4.2 diesel turbo but recently decided it's not gonna happen for a very long time $$$. But maybe I might grab myself a 3.0 instead until I win the lotto!

I'll be using and abusing the forum.

Cheers
Nick

AB
5th March 2018, 08:09 PM
Welcome to gods land old mate and the forum!

Maybe get a cheap run around whilst you here and save up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick-o-larse
5th March 2018, 08:23 PM
Thanks AB. yeah I reckon it's the only way.

Gives me time to plan the mods for the beast! ;)

GQtdauto
5th March 2018, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the forum

Dhuck
6th March 2018, 12:19 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Evo
6th March 2018, 12:39 AM
Welcome mate

Nick-o-larse
6th March 2018, 04:20 PM
Cheers Guys

Hodge
6th March 2018, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the forum.

JackCollo
6th March 2018, 07:13 PM
Welcome aboard mate they are the best machine on the planet. Be careful with the 3.0 mate talking from experience

Nick-o-larse
6th March 2018, 07:35 PM
Thanks matey can you tell me more?

I read that the gu3 and up has whatever problems where happening fixed.. haven't had a chance to look into it more yet.

Definitely want the 4.2 but the double in value atm. (I know there pretty much bullet proof)

MB
6th March 2018, 07:58 PM
G’day Nick mate!
IMHO no donk (engine) is ever bulletproof, 3.0L variants/4.2variants etc.... Of course the 4.2 kept radiator clean IMO has a much better chance of 1,000,000km hopes.
Any piece of machinery expected to do long years will benefit greatly from correct planned usage choice and scheduled maintenance followed again IMHO :-)
Welcome to Australia brother! If I personally were to travel hard again with family now the 4.2 stocky would be my preferred Nissan donk out there. Cheers!

Nick-o-larse
6th March 2018, 09:07 PM
Maybe waiting a bit longer for the 4.2 donk would be the better option. ;) Cheers mb

MB
6th March 2018, 09:23 PM
Big beautiful country new brother, enjoy it, stress free ;-)

JackCollo
6th March 2018, 10:53 PM
Maybe waiting a bit longer for the 4.2 donk would be the better option. ;) Cheers mb

Defs get the 4.2 don’t waste your money on a three litre if you could have got a 4.2 like I did basically but I’m upgrading mine so should be sweet build time

MB
6th March 2018, 11:29 PM
Feel for your recent troubles Jack mate, never meant this like that, we’ve had 3.0s and were awesome for their needs is all honestly meant brother!

4bye4
7th March 2018, 11:07 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum.

drgtr
10th March 2018, 08:21 AM
Welcome Nick.
Hope all is well mate

2 to 3 months ago I was exactly where you were at!

I came from a 120 v6 Prado which I loved but the rear diff was so weak. I broke that just on fire trails and broke a CV.

Always admired the Patrols afar because they look tough and knew they have tough Drive trains.

I always knew the 3 litres could be an issue and yes the Common rail versions from 2007 have had no horror stories yet but they do have their own issues.

I ended up buying a 2003 Model Td42ti with 180 000kms for $29 000.
It had the following:

3 inch exhaust Taipan XP
Harrop E locker on the rear
Fridge Slide
Larger Aftermarket Top Mount Intercooler

Was owned by a diesel mechanic and was a daily for his wife.
They bought a new Y62.

I looked at the common rail versions and I could of picked up a 2010 model for 22k!
an equivalent 2003 model yes would of been half the value of my clean TD42ti

I was scared when I first bought it not knowing anything about Patrols.
I thought I did enough research so I knew about Patrols and their problems.
Boy was I wrong but I been lucky. Im a fussy buyer/owner.

I got her Dyno Tuned and the tuners said my car is immaculate and best part the Injectors and Pump were in excellent condition.

Now onto the Patrol Models themselves.
As I said I thought I knew enough to stay away from problem 3 litre ones by going with the 4.2td

3 litres are potential grenades. Some make it through their life no problems but some even with NAD kits still explode.
The later 3 litre common rail seem fine from a grenade point but some suffer from being really thirsty and the other expensive issue is they leak coolant from the
timing cover and apparently who engine has to come out to get a seal changed. Wow. Expensive too.

Now to the Patrol in general regardless of engine. These are the idiosyncrasies I seen:

- Up to 2001 Manual gearboxes had a short spline on the input shaft which if people tow in 5th gear or keep loading it up will break . You will lose 5th gear but continue on up to 4th gear until you repair it. Later models had longer splines and yes you can retrofit to fix.
- Door lock issues. There is a bolt that breaks on the locks. That happens on all GU models Then drivers door is stuck. You cant open the door at all. There is a mod if you can manage to get door open and fix it permanently or you can proactively do the mod.
- NATS Nissan Anti theft system faulty and car cranks over but wont start. Light on top of dash stays on. On the 4.2models we get lucky. We can smash the black box behind the Pump open and wire the power directly to the fuel shut off solenoid.
-Rust! the GQ rust everywhere and on the roof through sweat. The GU rust at the radiator support big time if alot of water and salt crossings. The rear Barn doors rub the paint off and rust too.
-Rear Spring Towers. You can google this one. Massive crack if 4wd alot and have weight on the rear. Its a weld job or strengthen with adaptors
-Death Wobbles. Usually its one of the bushes for panhard rod or one of the suspension components. Pulling out Shims from steering knuckle is only a coverup for the worn bush issue.

Personally if I was you. Stick with a td42ti that has the intercooler and upgraded 5th gear.
You can know if 5th gear on early model is on its way out by dropping the gear box fluid and its rusty in colour.

Find a clean one. A fussy owner one. Pay that bit extra. Yes there are cheaper ones out there but they been bunged up and detailed for sale.

All the best and I hope this helps you.

drgtr
10th March 2018, 08:22 AM
And remember with the idiosyncrasies

Not all GU patrol suffer from this.

There are thousands out there and they are fine.

To identify common problems. Those are whats out there.

Nick-o-larse
12th March 2018, 07:25 PM
Wow thanks drgtr. Will definitely use this when I finally get looking. Was camping over the weekend and someone had the 2006 3L. Loved it but did say it was very juicy.

Nick-o-larse
6th April 2018, 12:23 PM
Still dreaming..

And I believe Iv'e narrowed my search down to a GU6 / GU7 3.0TD, Auto..

I figured I'll be more on road than off road and as much as I love a manual, auto is the lazy option.

Will see whats out there when the time comes though, no nearer yet!

happygu
6th April 2018, 08:32 PM
Still dreaming..

And I believe Iv'e narrowed my search down to a GU6 / GU7 3.0TD, Auto..

I figured I'll be more on road than off road and as much as I love a manual, auto is the lazy option.

Will see whats out there when the time comes though, no nearer yet!

Nothing wrong with an Auto ... even though I don't drive one, they are easier to drive up hill in the rough stuff - a little less engine braking for downhill though, so there is a trade off

jay see
6th April 2018, 08:41 PM
a little less engine braking for downhill though, so there is a trade off

Reduction gears [emoji41]

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

TimE
6th April 2018, 08:59 PM
Reduction gears [emoji41]

Yep, 43% ones work great for me, 3.9 diffs with 33"tyres :)

jay see
6th April 2018, 09:16 PM
Yep, 43% ones work great for me, 3.9 diffs with 33"tyres :)I'm running 63% with the same diff and wheels. No need to be looking for a lower gear anymore.

Nick-o-larse
6th April 2018, 09:58 PM
Nothing wrong with an Auto ... even though I don't drive one, they are easier to drive up hill in the rough stuff - a little less engine braking for downhill though, so there is a trade offYeah I watched some vid on YouTube manual vs auto.. very interesting. Before watching it I thought the manual would ruin the auto but apparently not apart from like you said the downhill breaking.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

drgtr
7th April 2018, 04:02 PM
Nick. May I ask what your budget is. So if I come across something. Im on a facebook group.
Its full of idiots too but there is always something for sale thats reasonable price.

Nick-o-larse
7th April 2018, 04:17 PM
Nick. May I ask what your budget is. So if I come across something. Im on a facebook group.
Its full of idiots too but there is always something for sale thats reasonable price.Yes mate. I'm a long way off but I'm searching for something with less than 150,000kms 2007 up. Auto or manual (not 100% yet). Been looking up to 25000 but 20000 is a more realistic budget. In a about a year's time tho!

Thanks man, I'm window shopping all the time but not on a FB group. What is it I might as well join myself?

Nick-o-larse
16th May 2018, 08:36 PM
So, took a 2006 Gu zd30 for a drive yesterday. Wasn't a great example, no service history, 230000kms, auto, private dealer.

Wasn't impressed, it was the first one ive driven but found it very sluggish so I'm having second thoughts...

I will take more out when more come up locally, looking for a gu7 with less than 150000 or near so I'm hoping that the one I drove was a dud. (Was a di not crd).

DX grunt
17th May 2018, 09:05 AM
Hey people! Hope your all good. I'm a new official Aussie resident from pome land!

Live down the South Coast, NSW and love it!

Dreaming of owning a patrol 4.2 diesel turbo but recently decided it's not gonna happen for a very long time $$$. But maybe I might grab myself a 3.0 instead until I win the lotto!

I'll be using and abusing the forum.

Cheers
Nick

G'day Nick.

Welcome to the forum and glad you could join us.

I migrated from Victoria to Western Australia 18 years ago, and love it!

Take care out there.

Rossco

GQtdauto
17th May 2018, 09:44 AM
Nick our 2002 three litre four potter goes like a rocket ,it's an auto and apart from a big exhaust it's stock as so the GU you drove must have a problem .
I also have seen the video auto versus manual and the twerp doing the vid didn't discuss a torque lock up kit , my GQ is a totally different animal with one and the GU is even better so I'm told .
You can have the best of both transmissions with the flick of a switch and it can be a cheap easy job or a little more detailed or even buy the kit that's plug and play .

Rossco
17th May 2018, 10:46 AM
Hey mate my old man has a 3 litre di manual and goes great, cruises beautifully on the road and is a very nice car to drive. Give a few more a test drive I reckon sounds like that one isn't quite right potentially. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick-o-larse
17th May 2018, 11:04 AM
Nick our 2002 three litre four potter goes like a rocket ,it's an auto and apart from a big exhaust it's stock as so the GU you drove must have a problem .
I also have seen the video auto versus manual and the twerp doing the vid didn't discuss a torque lock up kit , my GQ is a totally different animal with one and the GU is even better so I'm told .
You can have the best of both transmissions with the flick of a switch and it can be a cheap easy job or a little more detailed or even buy the kit that's plug and play .Thabks, that's what I wanted to hear.. I started looking at other options because of the weight (Prado, Pajero, dual cabs) but they don't look as good as the troll

GQtdauto
17th May 2018, 11:22 AM
Thabks, that's what I wanted to hear.. I started looking at other options because of the weight (Prado, Pajero, dual cabs) but they don't look as good as the troll

Consider buying one in great nick but with a blown motor you can buy them bloody cheap then get a reco motor at least you will know what you have and for about the same coin .