PDA

View Full Version : Airbag recall

simple83
28th February 2018, 07:29 PM
Recall for faulty airbagshttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/166.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
28th February 2018, 07:34 PM
Good luck getting it done by 2020 ,haven't made enquiries yet but I believe most cardealer workshops can't handle the numbers involved within the timeframe allowed .

2HQueues
28th February 2018, 09:20 PM
Recall for faulty airbagshttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/166.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My 2007 Y61 Patrol falls within those date periods. Yet my local Nissan dealer claims my vehicle "is not in the recall range as of todays date". I find that strange. Anyone else having their airbags swapped out?

Avo
28th February 2018, 09:30 PM
My 2007 Y61 Patrol falls within those date periods. Yet my local Nissan dealer claims my vehicle "is not in the recall range as of todays date". I find that strange. Anyone else having their airbags swapped out?

mate type in the search bar airbags,,heaps on here about it,,few good tips..i did got the fob,rang Nissan and emailerd them and had it done3 in I think a month maybe 2..found it for ya..click on this link matey

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?40591-Takata-Airbag-Recall-CHECK-AGAIN&highlight=airbag+recall

Plasnart
28th February 2018, 09:30 PM

Is it for driver's or passenger's bags? I've heard both and am confused. My 2001 Y61 only has driver's bag.

I know there's another thread here that's got much more detail from a year or so ago.

TPC
28th February 2018, 09:48 PM
I believe it is the passenger side airbag, I had mine done a couple of years ago so I assume it is ok now.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/nissan-motor-co-australia-pty-ltd-nissan-d22-navara-y61-patrol-j31-maxima-t30-x-trail

Clunk
28th February 2018, 10:05 PM
Is it for driver's or passenger's bags? I've heard both and am confused. My 2001 Y61 only has driver's bag.

I know there's another thread here that's got much more detail from a year or so ago.Either, all depends mate..... Was the drivers in the missus car..... She's had it replaced twice now. Bit of a worry when the replacement needed replacing

Plasnart
28th February 2018, 10:07 PM
I believe it is the passenger side airbag, I had mine done a couple of years ago so I assume it is ok now.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/nissan-motor-co-australia-pty-ltd-nissan-d22-navara-y61-patrol-j31-maxima-t30-x-trail

That's what I've heard in the past. Passenger bags only but wonder why would only passenger side be Takata bags but not driver's side?? So Is driver's side bags OK and not made by Takata??

Gotta love government bullcrap wording like this from your link:

"Certain passenger airbag inflators may allow moisture to enter the airbag inflator causing the propellant in the inflator units to deteriorate." Deterioration of the propellant may lead to abnormal deployment of the passenger airbag."

But the hazards?

"Abnormal passenger airbag deployment or metal fragment scatter may pose a hazard to the occupants of the vehicle."

Umm what?? Metal fragment scatter? Like a shotgun in the face maybe??

This is seriously a ridiculous situation patted down by the powers. "It's all OK folks. You have a 410 pointing at your face but if you don't run into anything you'll be OK. Just bring it in please."

Plasnart
28th February 2018, 10:10 PM
Either, all depends mate..... Was the drivers in the missus car..... She's had it replaced twice now. Bit of a worry when the replacement needed replacing

Groan....

OK I'd like to speak to the person in charge of this circus.

But of course not.

So who knows what's going on here?

We'll get back to you. Just don't deploy your airbags until we reply.

When will that be?

We'll get back to you.

(Face palm)

PeeBee
28th February 2018, 10:12 PM
Interesting read on the airbag list. Funny, the dealership had my car for 3 days fixing an oil leak and never mentioned it was due for the airbag replacement. Wonder if its all the bags or just the front ones?

Clunk
28th February 2018, 10:14 PM
Groan....

OK I'd like to speak to the person in charge of this circus.

But of course not.

So who knows what's going on here?

We'll get back to you. Just don't deploy your airbags until we reply.

When will that be?

We'll get back to you.

(Face palm)Yep and not allowed to disengage them or remove them. Because that's illegal. Etc etc etc...... I'll stick to driving my old unsafe airbag free GQ [emoji13]

Plasnart
28th February 2018, 10:17 PM
Interesting read on the airbag list. Funny, the dealership had my car for 3 days fixing an oil leak and never mentioned it was due for the airbag replacement. Wonder if its all the bags or just the front ones?

Nah that's ridiculous. It's not the front silly. It's front and side.

But might be passenger, or passenger and side.

We'll get back to you.

Just don't crash until we get back to you.

Am I the only one totally confused about this? So many recalls for this issue. First recall came out 18 months ago and now it's going off in the media again?

So what the fcuk is going on?

Maybe i'm easily confused.

TPC
28th February 2018, 10:18 PM
This link has all the individual recall notices listed, on some vehicles it is drivers side and some passenger side.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list#id15

Plasnart
28th February 2018, 10:24 PM
Yep and not allowed to disengage them or remove them. Because that's illegal. Etc etc etc...... I'll stick to driving my old unsafe airbag free GQ [emoji13]

Safer than getting shot in the face with metal fragments at 1,000,000 mph! Oh how we have advanced.

Now let's talk about global warming, rising sea levels, sow stalls and caged chickens! I'm friggin' outraged! :icon_bonk:

Clunk
28th February 2018, 10:27 PM
Safer than getting shot in the face with metal fragments at 1,000,000 mph! Oh how we have advanced.

Now let's talk about global warming, rising sea levels, sow stalls and caged chickens! I'm friggin' outraged! :icon_bonk:Oh and you're forgetting about GM foods, and imported fake honey

Hodge
28th February 2018, 10:31 PM

Now let's talk about global warming, rising sea levels, sow stalls and caged chickens! I'm friggin' outraged! :icon_bonk:

Let's not forger about AB's roof bags.

Plasnart
28th February 2018, 10:33 PM
This link has all the individual recall notices listed, on some vehicles it is drivers side and some passenger side.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list#id15

I've seen that one Tone but there's no Patrols listed there?

Here's Nissan's info:

http://www.nissan.com.au/Owners/Owner-Information/Takata-Airbag-Recall/Models?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo9_zlbrI2QIVhwgqCh3g3QtLE AAYASAAEgJCKfD_BwE&ef_id=WmPf9gAAALj3kFHa:20180228105928:s

But Patrol Y61 2000-2012?? Hello?? Big bracket there.

I haven't been contacted by Nissan.

Is this just a huge umbrella range espoused? Is it drivers side or passengers side?

I leave this tonight. CBF now.

the evil twin
28th February 2018, 10:34 PM
'99 Gu = no airbags = no worries ... my stupid Ford Terry on the other hand...

Plasnart
28th February 2018, 10:38 PM
Let's not forger about AB's roof bags.

Now that is something worthy of outrage!! :D

TPC
28th February 2018, 10:59 PM
I've seen that one Tone but there's no Patrols listed there?

I think you need to get your glasses checked. Patrols are there along with other Nissans using the same airbags.

Plasnart
28th February 2018, 11:13 PM
I think you need to get your glasses checked. Patrols are there along with other Nissans using the same airbags.

Ah right I'll have another look tomoz.

MudRunnerTD
28th February 2018, 11:29 PM
I got a letter from Nissan and then a number of phone calls over a month chasing me to lock it in and get the change over. My GU was done before Christmas.

Avo
28th February 2018, 11:34 PM
Either, all depends mate..... Was the drivers in the missus car..... She's had it replaced twice now. Bit of a worry when the replacement needed replacing

no not really..the ones fitted had a life span of 6yrs...so if they replace with same shit..then needs replacing another 6yrs......so ya still get on ok.just make sure they do replace again

Avo
28th February 2018, 11:36 PM
Nah that's ridiculous. It's not the front silly. It's front and side.

But might be passenger, or passenger and side.

We'll get back to you.

Just don't crash until we get back to you.

Am I the only one totally confused about this? So many recalls for this issue. First recall came out 18 months ago and now it's going off in the media again?

So what the fcuk is going on?

Maybe i'm easily confused.

at the start,they left it to the manufacturors..or whover them fukka are.....and now cause they didn't listen...the gov has made it as manditorry or how eveer they say it...

2HQueues
1st March 2018, 09:18 AM
The way I see it is that Nissan are waiting for their letter from the ACCC before they act. It seems some dealers are more pro-active than others, the "others" only performing the swap out when they are ordered to by the ACCC. What does that tell you?

Bidja
1st March 2018, 11:24 AM
I got a letter from Nissan and then a number of phone calls over a month chasing me to lock it in and get the change over. My GU was done before Christmas.

x2, 2008GU changed over Aug17 but my concern then was with what design of inflator. Up until today, I understood that the replacement inflator was a Takata with a couple of bags of desiccant thrown in for good measure. Must say have been concerned.

Rang Nissan customer service center today and they stated, as my inflator was replaced within the last 12 months it would not have been with a Takata. Against my VIN the actual replacement was a Diacel airbag inflator that has no known design deficiencies and is considered to be safe and suitable. No problems nissan say.

Nissan told me that some vehicles (changed over greater than 12 months ago) had defective inflators replaced with a "so called" improved Takata with the 6yrs (shelf life only) warranty given. Understand these will be subject to a further recall. Check with Nissan 1800 035 035 (option 2) and quote your VIN and they should let you know what is going on for you.

Note: It took 2 calls to them today. The first time, they said that the defective inflator was replaced with an other Takata airbag with improved mounting bolt head sealing rings "turned out to be crap" but the second time a tech type actually quoted the recall rework parts used against my VIN (the Diacel airbag inflator).

Sometime it better to be slack and don't rush in.. See what eventuates with time, hopefully this time issss all good.

Remember to keep your head down after warranty runs out. Next mod a periscope maybe ....

the evil twin
1st March 2018, 12:07 PM
'99 Gu = no airbags = no worries ... my stupid Ford Terry on the other hand...

SCORE !!!

My GU doesn't have airbags and the only Fords on the list (so far) are Mustangs

Bulbous
1st March 2018, 04:03 PM
The way I see it is that Nissan are waiting for their letter from the ACCC before they act. It seems some dealers are more pro-active than others, the "others" only performing the swap out when they are ordered to by the ACCC. What does that tell you?

Some dealers have seen this as a business opportunity to contact their customers and call them in for the airbag replacement, then drum up business for paint cleaning, headlight restoration, valeting, etc. Then they return the car with the same airbag fitted because parts not available.

jack
1st March 2018, 04:40 PM
My daughter has a Mazda 2 and had the airbag replaced 6 mths ago THEN got another recall letter because they replaced it with another defective airbag.

the evil twin
1st March 2018, 07:23 PM
My daughter has a Mazda 2 and had the airbag replaced 6 mths ago THEN got another recall letter because they replaced it with another defective airbag.

... which is exactly what happened with the first of the Patrol recalls as well.
Then they used the limited life Takata and now a different manuf

Bidja
1st March 2018, 07:35 PM
Hope mine does not need to go back in again for another recall. Cannot afford them to continue stripping threads or forgetting to refit dash fastening screws. They even busted my key reader coil plastic spool and of course it was not us nissan says. Was good I was able to bond it all together with a good quality UV set adhesive.

AB
1st March 2018, 07:43 PM
I forgot about this on Leah's Nav. Thanks for reminding me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben-e-boy
1st March 2018, 07:43 PM

nissannewby
1st March 2018, 08:31 PM

Or a Y62.....

Ben-e-boy
1st March 2018, 08:34 PM
Or a Y62.....

Lol.
I should change that meme to 'dont have to worry about airbags when my GQ doesnt run'.

51KGU
3rd March 2018, 06:10 PM
SCORE !!!

My GU doesn't have airbags and the only Fords on the list (so far) are Mustangs

What the? My 97 has a drivers airbag..

the evil twin
3rd March 2018, 07:00 PM

'99 Series 1 ST Coily Ute... only airbags are in the rear springs and the drivers seat (when occupied)

garett
3rd March 2018, 07:50 PM
i drive a base model ford maverick... whats and air bag ?
it didn't even come with a front sway bar, carpet, electric stuff. i'm probably lucky i don't have to crank it by hand.

Avo
3rd March 2018, 08:45 PM
i drive a base model ford maverick... whats and air bag ?
it didn't even come with a front sway bar, carpet, electric stuff. i'm probably lucky i don't have to crank it by hand.

bwhaa my mates first 4b,bought it for a carton of beer,a landy with crank handle start....didn't matter that it had a flat battery ever..

Avo
3rd March 2018, 08:51 PM

mine did to.but I sold the wife

Clunk
3rd March 2018, 10:07 PM
mine did to.but I sold the wifeIs that gasbag or funbags?

Avo
3rd March 2018, 10:37 PM
Is that gasbag or funbags?

if they're gas ones I want a feckin warrenty .....

and the same if they fun ones

I just get the same old bag don't matter

Clunk
3rd March 2018, 11:04 PM
if they're gas ones I want a feckin warrenty .....

and the same if they fun ones

I just get the same old bag don't matterShe'll have ya

Avo
3rd March 2018, 11:10 PM
She'll have ya

not if iu keep posting the sanme shit on fb

Clunk
3rd March 2018, 11:19 PM
not if iu keep posting the sanme shit on fbWasn't me....

Avo
3rd March 2018, 11:20 PM
Wasn't me....

twas mc fekkin so

MB
5th March 2018, 08:16 PM
FWIW, received an email from ‘CityLink’ (Melbourne toll freeways) today warning of this recall with ACCC web links within.
My 1999 ute not listed but the family 2001 wagon was and apparently as an ‘Alpha’ ???
ACCC second link within warns that these ‘Alpha’ were of highest priority as per screenshot below. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/38.jpg Rang our nearest Nissan dealer immediately and they punched in the wagons rego to check their system and reckon all fine? When asked what on earth is going on was then told that the 4.2TD 2001 was fine and other engine variants in this year “could” be the reason for the overall ACCC model/year listing. I guess we have to trust their internal putter says ok??

Plasnart
11th March 2018, 02:37 PM
FWIW, received an email from ‘CityLink’ (Melbourne toll freeways) today warning of this recall with ACCC web links within.
My 1999 ute not listed but the family 2001 wagon was and apparently as an ‘Alpha’ ???
ACCC second link within warns that these ‘Alpha’ were of highest priority as per screenshot below.

Rang our nearest Nissan dealer immediately and they punched in the wagons rego to check their system and reckon all fine? When asked what on earth is going on was then told that the 4.2TD 2001 was fine and other engine variants in this year “could” be the reason for the overall ACCC model/year listing. I guess we have to trust their internal putter says ok??

I just checked my VIN on the Nissan web page and this was the response:

Vehicle not involved
Your vehicle does not have an active Takata airbag safety Recall.

It may be subject to a future recall (Takata or otherwise). Note this data is from the Nissan warranty system and is accurate as of last Friday.

Is this recall just for passenger side airbags or both? My '01 Y61 ST TD42T has drivers side only I believe.

jack
28th April 2018, 10:34 PM
Question for those who have had the airbag replaced by Nissan.
Did they put a sticker in the door/glovebox or any other notification that the airbag had actually been replaced?
If not, how do you know if it's been replaced.

TPC
28th April 2018, 10:49 PM
They never put a sticker in mine, Nissan will have a record of it being replaced so you check with them.

jack
28th April 2018, 11:01 PM
They never put a sticker in mine, Nissan will have a record of it being replaced so you check with them.

Thanks Tony, Mazda put a sticker in the door.

Bidja
7th December 2018, 12:30 PM
An Other Replacement

Well Takata replacement time has come around again....Surprise surprise, see what life this one has as long as it is not ours or you folk.

Just received this email for "immediate action", they could not wait for snail mail, but of course only limited spaces available for booking in for job (earliest 9 Jan 19). Yeah they are real concerned not...lol

There email:

VIN: 2008 GU Wag

Dear JOHN,

Further to our communications in June 2018, Nissan has now brought forward the initiation of the recall for the previously replaced It is critical that you urgently contact a Nissan Dealer to arrange for the airbag to be checked and replaced, if faulty.

Please note that you must book your vehicle in with a Nissan Dealer. If you present your vehicle to a Nissan Dealer without an appointment there may be a delay in getting your vehicle rectified.

Further information in relation to this recall can be found in our online information hub. If you have any further queries, please contact an authorised Nissan Dealer, or call the Nissan Customer Service Centre on 1800 988 334.

You may also wish to contact the ACCC to report your concerns.
Takata passenger side airbag inflator. The replacement airbag inflator also has a fault that could kill or seriously injure people in the vehicle. You should immediately contact a Nissan Dealer to arrange for the airbag to be replaced.

Your Nissan Patrol is installed with a faulty Takata airbag. If you are involved in a collision, the airbag can go off with too much explosive force causing sharp metal fragments to shoot out and kill or seriously injure people in the vehicle. It is important that you immediately contact a Nissan Dealer to arrange for the airbag inflator to be replaced.

We will perform this replacement free of charge.

Please take note that any replacement airbag installed in your vehicle following a collision or other incident may also be faulty.
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment and require extra assistance, please visit the National Relay Service.

Nissan sincerely apologises for any inconvenience caused by the Takata Airbag Inflator Recall.

Yours sincerely,
Nissan Motor Co. (Australia) Pty Ltd

TimE
7th December 2018, 04:36 PM
Yep, got an email from Nissan today, immediate replacement required! Must be getting a squirrel gripping from ACCC!

I'm booked in to my local dealer on16 January 2019 !

Hodge
7th December 2018, 08:37 PM
Yep, got an email from Nissan today, immediate replacement required! Must be getting a squirrel gripping from ACCC!

I'm booked in to my local dealer on16 January 2019 !

So is this a replacement, of a replacement?

TimE
8th December 2018, 11:02 AM
Yep, replacement of a replacement .......................... and if they get the replacement replacement wrong then there will be the replacement of the replacement of the replacement :icon_bonk:

Dr Gary
2nd January 2019, 10:57 AM
My original replacement was 2016, now done again December 2018. Seems the replacements were bad as well.

Bidja
2nd January 2019, 11:11 AM
9th Jan double up replacement. Well how long did they think the desiccant would last anyway and how many screws will they forget to replace this time !!!!

4bye4
2nd January 2019, 12:39 PM
Just had my second one done. Maybe they should make it a service item, like every 5000k or so.

Sprock
2nd January 2019, 01:37 PM
We chased this up 6mths ago when it all 1st came to light & was told it could potentially kill us but they wouldn’t have the time or parts for 12mths , then a few weeks ago we got an email & I got a text msg on my fone - no idea how Nissan have my number because I brought it 2nd hand & have never dealt with Nissan directly , stating it must be done immediately.

rusty_nail
2nd January 2019, 03:31 PM
We chased this up 6mths ago when it all 1st came to light & was told it could potentially kill us but they wouldn’t have the time or parts for 12mths , then a few weeks ago we got an email & I got a text msg on my fone - no idea how Nissan have my number because I brought it 2nd hand & have never dealt with Nissan directly , stating it must be done immediately.

i think due to the nature of the issue maybe they have access to certain details from vic roads etc?

Sprock
2nd January 2019, 10:46 PM
Yeah must have mate , still spun me out a bit , I don’t hand my number out willy nilly so it was a bit of a surprise. 6mths ago they said it could kill us but they didn’t have the parts to fix it for 12mths - now all of a sudden it’s urgemt

mudski
4th January 2019, 08:12 AM
Lucky for you. Acording my VIN I don't require the change, but I have a series 4 leather wheel fitted and as far as I know, all series 4's require an air bag change. So I'm stuffed. I've just disconnected the airbag from the loom now.

stinno
30th January 2019, 08:23 AM
My passenger side air bag was replaced in the recall. 2013 CRD zd30