PDA

View Full Version : Aircon Idle / Adjustment question TD42Ti

Hodge
18th February 2018, 02:59 PM
Last time I had my car dyno tuned, the normal idle and A/C idle got f****d in the process. I've since had nissannewby help me adjust the normal idle, which was very very simple.
However...
The A/C idle is still absolutely shitting me! It's way too high, and I don't know how to adjust it... I thought I knew, but I was wrong. I honestly do not know where to look any more.
Car idles 600-700 or there abouts. With A/C id jumps to 1100-1200. Too high.

I've had a look and cannot work it out. The picture below I've drawn a line along the accelerator wire... What operates the A/C, what makes it idle up??? I've followed that line all the way inside the car and direct to the accelerator pedal and there is nothing in between that drives it. For example no vacuum operated pump or anything.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74529&stc=1

So out of interest...
There is a elec. plug on top of the pump. Circled in green picture below. Does this have something to do with it??? IF this is AC related can I just disconnect it ?
Does the car really have to idle up to operate AC properly???

Any hints and tips are greatly appreciated :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74530&stc=1

NissanGQ4.2
18th February 2018, 04:54 PM
No idea.

Post 9??????

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/high-idle-after-air-con-42947/

Hodge
18th February 2018, 05:46 PM
Thanks NissanGQ4.2 (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?344-NissanGQ4-2) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/statusicon/user-online.png

I've had a look, and cannot see this "plastic screw" he was talking about ...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74533&stc=1

GQtdauto
18th February 2018, 06:03 PM
I thought it was regulated by the plastic Doo hickey with a hook on it that's under the injector pump , mine is not connected though and still works so maybe it is the one you have circled .

mudski
18th February 2018, 07:38 PM
Im pretty sure your Ti setup would be the same as my T setup. They use a vacuum controller, it should be mounted up on the firewall somewhere. The vacuum controller will have an electric plug, just disconnect it. I dont even have it on my TD and when the a/c is on the rev drop is minimal, not enough to be concerned about.

Hodge
18th February 2018, 08:53 PM
Im pretty sure your Ti setup would be the same as my T setup. They use a vacuum controller, it should be mounted up on the firewall somewhere. The vacuum controller will have an electric plug, just disconnect it. I dont even have it on my TD and when the a/c is on the rev drop is minimal, not enough to be concerned about.

This is how I imagined it to be. A vacuum controller tugging on the accel. cable a little bit to idle it up. But no.
I tried to find it... But here is nothing the accelerator cable is attached to all the way from the pump to the pedal... Likewise, i cannot see any vacuum hoses on the pump.
I could be wrong about this, but i did have a good look.

Hodge
19th February 2018, 11:47 AM
mudski

Does this look like the vacuum doodah like on hours ?
I found that... Has a positive and negative .
And has a vacuum line coming directly from the vacuum pump. And an outgoing vacuum line going to a diaphram under the injector pump but it's hard to tell whether it does anything.
Would this be it ?? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/110.jpg

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

Hodge
19th February 2018, 12:32 PM
Well, that's definitely not it ...or is it ?
As soon as I disconnect the power to whatever that is, the revs go through the roof.

Rossco
19th February 2018, 01:30 PM
Mine doesn't have an idle up and they work fine the TDs have more than enough to spin the compressor at idle. That's an option but won't be factory I guess not sure if that's a worry or not. There's a small line coming off the vac pump on the back of alternator which I'm pretty sure goes to the doovelacky on the firewall but as yours has engine mounted vac pump not sure if it will be same setup but might lead you in the right path hopefully, not sure if that doovelacky you found is it or not ? ?
Yeah our work 79 series idles high as with the air con and is quite annoying - hate it . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hodge
19th February 2018, 05:19 PM
Mine doesn't have an idle up and they work fine the TDs have more than enough to spin the compressor at idle. That's an option but won't be factory I guess not sure if that's a worry or not. There's a small line coming off the vac pump on the back of alternator which I'm pretty sure goes to the doovelacky on the firewall but as yours has engine mounted vac pump not sure if it will be same setup but might lead you in the right path hopefully, not sure if that doovelacky you found is it or not ? ?
Yeah our work 79 series idles high as with the air con and is quite annoying - hate it . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks Rossco.
I just spent last few hours fiddling with it and poking around over a few cold ones.
I figured out the thingamajig is in fact what controls the AC idle. Problem with mine initially was, when i disconnected it, the motor rev up beyond 2000rpm for some reason. It's had me stumped...
But now it's settled down and with AC on, and that disconnected, the revs do not alter at all. Will just leave it like this until I figure out exactly how to amend the AC idle revs.

mudski
20th February 2018, 08:49 PM
mudski

Does this look like the vacuum doodah like on hours ?
I found that... Has a positive and negative .
And has a vacuum line coming directly from the vacuum pump. And an outgoing vacuum line going to a diaphram under the injector pump but it's hard to tell whether it does anything.
Would this be it ?? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/110.jpg

Yeah thats the bit mate. I removed mine totally.

drgtr
21st February 2018, 09:51 PM
Hodge if you still needing help I can explain.

There is an actuator below the two throttle cables. Its mounted by two 10 mm bolts. The front of the actuator has a L shaped rod. When the aircon kicks in the rod hooks onto the throttle cable plate or what ever its called lol

- The actuator can be adjusted two ways. Loosen the two 100m bolts and you can rotate the actuator so rod sits further away from throttle cable plate or closer. Clearly closer will be higher idle (Lower idle will be anti clockwise)
- The second way is an 8mm lock nut on the rear of the actuator . Loosen it and then adjust the screw out at the end with a flat head. You can see a notch for the flat head. I found using a long flat head is much easier as its tight there.

The first way is for a coarse adjustment
The second way is for fine adjustment

The funny thing is I been playing with it too as I just got my car Dynotuned two days ago. I never knew when they turned up the base fuel it increases idle too.
They did adjust for me but I wasnt happy. I always want perfection.

Now if you find you run out of adjustment to keep the aircon lower you can either take the actuator off by undoing the two 10mm bolts and drill the adjusting holes bigger or bend the rod back further away from the throttle cable.
This mod doesnt affect anything else as its essentially just moving the rod away further.
Will make sense when you look at the actuator. Very straight foward.

drgtr
21st February 2018, 09:56 PM
You can see the the aircon actuator below the two throttle cables. Its white. Has the lock but and adjusting screw (for fine adjustment) Thats the whole actuator. mounted on side of injector pump via 2 x10mm bolts 74582

Hodge
22nd February 2018, 04:44 PM
You can see the the aircon actuator below the two throttle cables. Its white. Has the lock but and adjusting screw (for fine adjustment) Thats the whole actuator. mounted on side of injector pump via 2 x10mm bolts http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74582&stc=1

Thats awesome !! Thanks a lot mate.
I did see that actuator.... Its where a vacuum hose goes from that controller i disconnected earlier...
I will now go and play around with it !!

mudski
22nd February 2018, 09:07 PM
Thats awesome !! Thanks a lot mate.
I did see that actuator.... Its where a vacuum hose goes from that controller i disconnected earlier...
I will now go and play around with it !!

yeah sweet. I assumed otherwise. My pump does't even the second lever for the a/c cable. Just had a vac line straight into the top of the pump.

jff45
23rd February 2018, 07:54 AM
Yeah thats the bit mate. I removed mine totally.

Mark, if you still have it, I'm chasing one of those vacuum switches. The auto trans makes the idle drop too much.

mudski
26th February 2018, 08:15 PM
Mark, if you still have it, I'm chasing one of those vacuum switches. The auto trans makes the idle drop too much.

I think i do mate. Remind me in a few days if you dont here from me and I'll rummage through my stuff.