PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical

katwoman
17th February 2018, 07:44 PM
Hypothetically, if someone wanted to send alcoholic cans to or from the States, say for display purposes only how would that someone go about it ?
Or would that someone have to drink alot of bourbon and apple cider and send empty cans instead ?

AB
17th February 2018, 07:48 PM
Pretty sure you can if under 1k but as always you'll be taxed beyond belief I would imagine.

katwoman
17th February 2018, 08:00 PM
Pretty sure you can if under 1k but as always you'll be taxed beyond belief I would imagine.

Hmmm, thought as much. Guess Im gonna have to learn to like Bourbon

AB
17th February 2018, 08:04 PM
Hang on sorry Kat I thought you were importing not exporting.

No idea mate, alcohol doesn't export from my house lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katwoman
17th February 2018, 08:19 PM
Hang on sorry Kat I thought you were importing not exporting.

No idea mate, alcohol doesn't export from my house lol

From what I can work out it's illegal, but this would be the place to be corrected..

the evil twin
17th February 2018, 08:51 PM
Hypothetically this will answer your questions Kat

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/212/~/requirements-for-importing-alcohol-for-personal-use

mudski
17th February 2018, 09:44 PM
Buying from the states is ok if its not shipped via USPS. Its illegal to move alcohol with the states using their postal service. If you use UPS or fedex, then its fine. So if you post booze from OZ to the US, it will go via USPS once it hits their shores and more than likely will be picked up by customs and either returned to you, to destroyed. If you ship using a courier, all the recipient will have to pay is any customs and duty fee's.

katwoman
17th February 2018, 09:53 PM
Buying from the states is ok if its not shipped via USPS. Its illegal to move alcohol with the states using their postal service. If you use UPS or fedex, then its fine. So if you post booze from OZ to the US, it will go via USPS once it hits their shores and more than likely will be picked up by customs and either returned to you, to destroyed. If you ship using a courier, all the recipient will have to pay is any customs and duty fee's.

From what I read you have to have a UPS or FedEx acc to do so ? Sounds like a lot of hassle

mudski
18th February 2018, 08:04 PM
From what I read you have to have a UPS or FedEx acc to do so ? Sounds like a lot of hassle

I can be any courier service. As long as it doesn't go via USPS when it hits their shores....Customs will still slug the recipient regardless but, its the legal way.

katwoman
18th February 2018, 09:24 PM
Thx mark. It looks like it would be easier to fly over with two suitcases loaded. [emoji23] on the upside, we've been invited to Illinois for a party in August.

mudski
18th February 2018, 09:30 PM
Thx mark. It looks like it would be easier to fly over with two suitcases loaded. [emoji23] on the upside, we've been invited to Illinois for a party in August.

Remember to declare your loaded suitcases...

the evil twin
19th February 2018, 12:55 AM
Also pays to remember that, just like "fanny", "your shout" and "taking the piss"... "loaded" to a yank customs dude may not exactly provoke the reaction you are expecting.

EG "Fair suck of the Sav, Cobber. Only a wombat would chuck a sook like this over a slab of piss in me port" makes perfect sense to Border Force but our 'Merican Cousins... not so much and may get a Glock up your nose

Evo
19th February 2018, 02:43 AM
Can send to me? Or I can arrange collection 😉

the evil twin
19th February 2018, 11:45 AM
Nah... do what the Druggie Mules do...

Swallow it and then pass it after your thru Customs... the Yanks won't be able to taste the difference