PDA

View Full Version : Has my battery had the "Richard"

poindexter
12th February 2018, 06:44 PM
Went to start today after about 6 weeks, no sign of life.
Multi-meter says 2.9V !!!!!
I think I know the answer, but, you know, someone put me out of my misery.
Battery is ~4-5 years old.

GQtdauto
12th February 2018, 06:47 PM
Geez that's low and cranks don't like getting that flat , wonder if battery is stuffed and or power is leaking somewhere ?

poindexter
12th February 2018, 07:22 PM
Thinking of going Optima redtop

GQtdauto
12th February 2018, 08:19 PM
Just make sure your not leaking power first , shame to wreck another battery .

MB
12th February 2018, 09:26 PM
Love Optimas too Ralph mate!
Reds I’m sure you are aware crank hard and great for winching big motors too. Stick with yellows/blues for now as I believe/experienced they will crank enough for your needs and also handle draining abuse a lot better mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happygu
12th February 2018, 09:52 PM
Aftermarket batteries are normally only good for a couple of years - not like the standard Nissan Batteries that seem to last and last, but i use the Optima Yellow for my auxilliary and they are pretty good.

Yeti's Beast
12th February 2018, 10:03 PM
2 volts is not normal for a dead battery. Each cell in your battery produces 2.1 volts so if you had a dead cell you would be down to 10.5 roughly. My guess is you have a serious drain or left something on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MB
12th February 2018, 10:20 PM
Once bought one of those so called ‘regulated’ $30 solar maintenance jobbies for a dam pump. That sure went to shit quick, no chance you had one of them pricks clipped on poindexter mate?

poindexter
13th February 2018, 07:17 AM
The Optima web site says Red for cranking, Yellow for deep cycle and Blue for marine.
I hear what you say regarding the Yellow tops MB, and It's work looking it.
I have all the "new stuff" wired to the Aux battery (except the winch).
But the drain issue is going to be looked at.

MB
13th February 2018, 07:40 AM
Yep, faithful proven yellows in my Trol and a single blue in my Tinny for sounder, lights, bilge pump and elecy trolling motor. According to the blokes at our nearest Battery World only difference with the blue marine is the extra terminals atop. Never looked at the specs for myself though between either colour.

the evil twin
13th February 2018, 12:58 PM
Aftermarket batteries are normally only good for a couple of years - not like the standard Nissan Batteries that seem to last and last, but i use the Optima Yellow for my auxilliary and they are pretty good.

Agree most Batteries are shyte.

I use Caterpillar Batteries... under $200 for an N70ZZ, 3 year Aus wide warranty and last 5 to 6 years with normal maint.

MB
13th February 2018, 02:04 PM
Awesome price ET, near half an Optima over here! Will have to check em out for the future for sure, Cheers!

Yeti's Beast
13th February 2018, 07:23 PM
If you ever see a Neuton Power on sale consider it also
I USED to be the state manager for them and their manufacturer also makes Caterpillar Batteries

Plasnart
13th February 2018, 08:57 PM
Interesting turn in this thread. We need a dedicated battery thread where tech info and recommendations can be made. I stick with Century only because.....umm....not sure why....just because I do. Just always used them. Could someone who knows the ins-and-outs of batteries start a technical battery thread if it doesn't already exist?

Plasnart
13th February 2018, 09:01 PM
Agree most Batteries are shyte.

I use Caterpillar Batteries... under $200 for an N70ZZ, 3 year Aus wide warranty and last 5 to 6 years with normal maint.

Awesome price ET, near half an Optima over here! Will have to check em out for the future for sure, Cheers!

Agree that is a seriously good price if they're a good unit. As said above I generally stick with Century as it's a brand I trust (with or without foundation). If I saw a Caterpillar battery on the rack I'd walk right past it because it seems a "trendy" brand name. Hence my call for a dedicated battery tech thread. If ET backs it then I'd be swayed knowing him.

jack
13th February 2018, 09:18 PM
I bought two Caterpillar batteries about five years ago. Eventually killed one late last year (my fault) but I'd happily buy them again.
In early 2013 they cost just over $300 for the two (153-5656 @ $135 and 175-4370 @ $153 (plus $28 Total GST)).

In Melbourne go to William Adams (Boundary Rd exit off the Western Ring Road), they couldn't have been more helpful. Asked what I needed them for and even came out and measured the auxiliary battery tray to check the maximum size that would fit.

At the time they had an online catalog that had prices and full dimensions, not sure if they still have now.

Back to poindexters question, yeap your battery has had the 'Richard'.

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2018, 09:25 PM
I've heard nothing but Great things about the CAT Batteries including 1000CCA and under $200!!

Yeti's Beast
13th February 2018, 10:57 PM
A few happy snaps from when I went to visit the battery manufacturer that makes more brands than you would imagine including Volvo, General Motors and many more http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/84.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/85.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/86.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/87.jpg

the evil twin
14th February 2018, 10:54 AM
I buy CAT batteries direct from Caterpillar Spare Parts Division (public welcome), never seen them or their brothers cheaper anywhere else but I don't bother looking anymore either.

I originally came across them in the Marine world (prob 25% of boats are Caterpillar Marine Diesels).
Farted around with Supercharge (made in the Phillipines) as they did a good discount for Club Members here for a while but they def do not perform as well so went back to Cat and use them almost exclusively since.

Have no doubt that the other batteries that Yetis Beast refers too are probably equally as good so would be a price or nearest outlet decision between them IMHO

Yeti's Beast
15th February 2018, 01:04 AM
Do you know if a guy called John set up the deal with Supercharge?
If so I used to work with him

the evil twin
15th February 2018, 11:08 AM
Do you know if a guy called John set up the deal with Supercharge?
If so I used to work with him

Sorry mate... far too many Beers ago to remember names.

If what I do remember was correct .... it was a discount for State affiliated 4WD Club members (proof of membership needed) and you had to buy direct from the Supercharge warehouse