PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Entry

simple83
1st February 2018, 07:01 PM
I got a 2003 GU lll ST patrol few weeks ago and wondering how i can find out if keyless entry is possible. Using the key on drivers door opens all the doors but would really like keyless entry via a remote.
When i got the car it only came with 1 nissan key and another cut key

CHEERS IN ADVANCE

Clunk
1st February 2018, 07:58 PM
Plenty of aftermarket options available. My remote sorts the locks, alarm and immobilizer..... Made by Autowatch

mudski
1st February 2018, 08:17 PM
Yours would more than likely have keyless entry from new. You just didnt get the remote as they always shit themselves and are worth their weight in gold for a new one, then it will just die again.
The best way is to go after market. I did with mine, I bought the kit for less than the cost of one remote from Nissan.
This link may help you....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12608-A-Guide-on-installing-your-own-remote-central-locking-in-under-20-minutes

BillsGU
1st February 2018, 08:59 PM
As above. Cheap and works - as opposed to Nissan's expensive and fails.

katwoman
1st February 2018, 09:13 PM
Same. I went aftermarket after my car was broken into, but be aware you will also need to fit a diode if running a turbo timer with the alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simple83
2nd February 2018, 01:00 AM
Do i need to get a whole aftermarket set up or can i just get an aftermarket remote and get it programmed to factory set up?

Sorry for the newbie questions

Evo
2nd February 2018, 02:14 AM
I bought the central locking unit with 2 x remotes off ebay for under $20.
Then all I needed was the master actuator for the driver door as mine didnt have it (key only central locking). Was about $10 from Jaycar.
Unit came with instructions, easy to do yourself in a couple of hours if you are handy with a soldering iron and a screwdriver.
This was in a 1998 GU ST.

Evo
2nd February 2018, 02:22 AM
This exact one.

simple83
2nd February 2018, 04:40 PM
Havent used a soldering iron since high school haha

Do you have to solder into existing wiring for this control box or how do you go about it? (again sorry for the newbie questions, im just starting out)

CHEERS IN ADVANCE

Mc4by
2nd February 2018, 10:06 PM
I had a mobile service come out to program an after market remote to my stock system.
He was in the driveway for 2 hours before he admitted defeat.
The stock unit does not accept aftermarket remotes.

Evo
3rd February 2018, 02:40 AM

Do you have to solder into existing wiring for this control box or how do you go about it? (again sorry for the newbie questions, im just starting out)

CHEERS IN ADVANCE

All good mate.
We all had to start somewhere.

No need to touch anything other than find a constant power source under dash, earth, and if you want to add, indicator flash for lock/unlock.
Then wire the keyless entry to the master solenoid in the drivers door as the lock has the switch to unlock everything.
So the keyless will work through the driver door solenoid (master).

If you want to get fancy and more invloved, this unit can do rear door/boot lock/unlock separately, window up option, blah, blah.

I was just happy not having to find the keyhole in the dark.

Where abouts are you located?

BillsGU
3rd February 2018, 09:19 AM
Lots of ways to do this - but the neatest way is to use the wiring already under the dash. I unplugged the original unit, removed the circuit board from the case, cut the socket off the circuit board, soldered the wires from the new module (mine was from Jaycar) to the original socket, placed the new module into the original case (it fits easily), bolted the case to its original position under the dash, and then plugged in the original wiring.

Looking under the dash it all looks original. The only difference is that the remote works first time every time. New remotes (if I lose one or break one) cost about $20 and are easily obtained from Jaycar. It also works over a long distance. You don't have to stand beside the car waving your arms in all directions as I had to do with the Nissan one.

the evil twin
3rd February 2018, 12:02 PM

If you don't want to solder you can usually purchase a 'blank' plug kit at Jaycar or Ebay to suit the new Unit as most use generic plugs.
Cut the old plug off, strip the wires, crimp the pins and assemble the new plug to suit.

If you don't want to do that you can cut to old plug off and butt crimp the supplied fly lead to the vehicle wiring instead of soldering.

simple83
18th February 2018, 08:53 PM
All good mate.
We all had to start somewhere.

No need to touch anything other than find a constant power source under dash, earth, and if you want to add, indicator flash for lock/unlock.
Then wire the keyless entry to the master solenoid in the drivers door as the lock has the switch to unlock everything.
So the keyless will work through the driver door solenoid (master).

If you want to get fancy and more invloved, this unit can do rear door/boot lock/unlock separately, window up option, blah, blah.

I was just happy not having to find the keyhole in the dark.

Where abouts are you located?

That doesnt sound to hard at all Evo. Ill defintely have to look into it. I dont want or need anything fancy. i just wana be able to push a button and have all doors open haha

Im located in North Richmond NSW, whys that?

TimE
18th February 2018, 09:17 PM
Check this post (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?33275-Installation-of-Steel-Mate-386M-Central-Locking-Kit&p=752350#post752350) as well. I was able to wire up a Jaycar module fairly easily and I'm an old retired ex public service phart, so it can't be too hard :)

Mc4by
19th February 2018, 01:01 AM
Anybody near Mandurah W.A. that wants to make a few $$$ or alcohol.. give me a price to do this for me :)

Evo
19th February 2018, 01:21 AM
Not really "near" Mandurah.
I'm in Gosnells.

Evo
19th February 2018, 01:45 AM
That doesnt sound to hard at all Evo. Ill defintely have to look into it. I dont want or need anything fancy. i just wana be able to push a button and have all doors open haha

Im located in North Richmond NSW, whys that?

Bit far to give you a hand if you were going to go ahead with it.

simple83
23rd February 2018, 08:56 PM
hey EVO

i got a similar keyless entry kit to the one you purchased mate.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-Car-Remote-Central-Kit-Security-Door-Locking-Keyless-Entry-System-DT/222229214956?epid=13006157861&hash=item33bde4b6ec:g:yPwAAOSwmLlYBxhk

ive managed to temporarily wire up the new box by just poking the wires into the harness on the car. i wanted to ensure that i got wiring correct before i started crimping etc

So here is the issue.........

ive wired the new box up as follows:
Red on new box to white/red stripe on car harness for positive
Black on new box to ground
Browns on new box to green/red and green/yellow for indicators
white and white/black to light blue and light blue/red.

i hold down the learning button on the new box as per instructions and the indicators both go on for a few seconds which means its in learning code state.
the instructions say to then press any button turning light flash, if learn one more press any button, turning light flash.

the problem ive got that when i press any button on the remote nothing happens. ive tried pushing all 3 of the buttons seperately on the remote. ive tried both remotes. ive tried short press of buttons and long press of buttons but nothing works. it seems that the remotes wont learn/program/encode or whatever you wana call it.
ive tried it all numerous times to no avail.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

CHEERS IN ADVANCE!!!

simple83
23rd February 2018, 09:36 PM
UPDATE

I finally got 1 of the 2 remotes to sync with the unit.
The problem i now have is that when i push the unlock or lock on the remote the only cable coming from the new box that has any power is the pink wire which is the one that is for the siren. No other wire has any power.
Ive tried poking that wire into the other spots on the car harness except for the black of course and nothing happens. None of them will get the doors to unlock.

Its got me stumped again

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mc4by
23rd February 2018, 10:27 PM
Not really "near" Mandurah.
I'm in Gosnells.

That isn't too far. I may message you soon. :)

simple83
23rd February 2018, 10:38 PM
UPDATE (Sorry for the influx of comments on this thread)

Its now 1045pm and its defeated me for the night.

It had got me absolutely damned as to whats going on.

as i stated before the only wire that gives me power from the new box when i push the button on the remote is the pink cable which is meant for a siren.

Now here is whats happening:
I thought id try and work out which wire in the harness leads to the drivers door by putting the pink(siren) wire into the different spots in the harness to see if i could work it out this way. What happened was when i put the pink wire into the harness and made contact with the black wire with yellow stripe (next to the larger blue wire with red stripe) or the black wire with the red stripe the passenger and all 3 rear doors would lock and unlock( i can remember which black wire did lock or unlock but 1 did lock n other did unlock) This happened even without my pushing a button on the remote. I put my multimeter between the chassis and the pink cable on the plug on the new box and when i made contact with the black and red or yellow striped cable the volts went up to around 12 and the doors either locked or unlocked depending on which cable i made contact with. This i thought was very strange and had me stumped.
I then placed my multi meter between the chassis and the 2 different wires on the car harness black and red or yellow striped and this also made to doors lock and unlock(except the drivers door)
Ive seen elsewhere that there is a relay that has to be tapped into on the left side of the drivers footwell. Is this correct? When i use my key in drivers door it locks/unlocks all the doors.

Im not an auto electrician by any means nor a mechanic. I am handy with tools and electrical stuff(im a Lineworker by trade and my dad is a qualified electrician so i know a little bit) but this has got me stumped.
There is probably a simple explanation from someone out there and all this may give some people a laugh but its got me.

Again ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

CHEERS IN ADVANCE

simple83
23rd February 2018, 10:59 PM
The 2 black wires next to larger blue wirehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/02/124.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BillsGU
24th February 2018, 08:31 AM
I have the Jaycar module so I would only confuse you. I just used Mudskies instructions and interpreted them to the Jaycar wire colours and it worked first time.

simple83
24th February 2018, 10:09 AM
SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Found another video on YouTube about the kit and wired it up as per video and it works

Thanks everyone for your help!

Evo
24th February 2018, 03:18 PM
Only just saw you had issues, but glad you sorted it out.
Nice not having to use the key to lock and unlock 😊

simple83
24th February 2018, 06:51 PM
Only just saw you had issues, but glad you sorted it out.
Nice not having to use the key to lock and unlock [emoji4]Yeh its awesome not having to use the key to lock and unlock

May even fancy it up and get headlights to flash aswell as indicators [emoji6]

jay see
25th February 2018, 12:04 AM
Yep.
Something that I still need to do.

Ahhh, for now the old key in the lock trick.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

simple83
25th February 2018, 02:54 AM
Yep.
Something that I still need to do.

Ahhh, for now the old key in the lock trick.

Sent from my A1601 using TapatalkIts a pretty easy thing to do once i worked out the wiring haha