PDA

View Full Version : Fan only working on "4"

pete57
31st January 2018, 11:42 AM
Hi guys,

The A/C (and heater) fan is not working on the first three levels, but goes to full on level 4.
Any ideas? My thinking is that the motor is on it's way out and requires full voltage to start spinning?

mudnut
31st January 2018, 11:44 AM
If it is a GQ, the resistor pack which is inserted into the air ducting will be shot. The resistor pack is positioned just under the glovebox, next to the fan housing. Either that or the switch is jiggered.

the evil twin
31st January 2018, 12:05 PM
Wot mudnut said X 2

99.9% the Ballast Resistors have had the richard.

Avo
31st January 2018, 03:38 PM
yep,mine did the same in gu..resistor

Hodge
31st January 2018, 05:57 PM
And another one here... Resistor pack underneath dead. Happened one my 2009 GU as well.

Under normal circumstances, #4 setting there is no resistance. Straight through Volts.
1, 2 and 3 are resisted to slow the fan down. Over time the pack becomes dry on the inside and becomes brittle. Some have had success with solder and bits from Jaycar. But for the cost of a new pack, it's not worth it.

Hodge
31st January 2018, 05:58 PM
https://patrolapart.com.au/product/genuine-nissan-patrol-gu-y61-heater-fan-resistor

pete57
2nd February 2018, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys, I shall check the resistor pack.

dom14
4th February 2018, 01:18 PM
Mine's has similar issue. Number 1 is not working but 2,3.... ok. I haven't bothered to replace the resistor yet 'cos I rarely use the number 1 speed. :)

dom14
4th February 2018, 03:54 PM
If it is a GQ, the resistor pack which is inserted into the air ducting will be shot. The resistor pack is positioned just under the glovebox, next to the fan housing. Either that or the switch is jiggered.

Yeah, thanx for the tip with the switch. Mine actually can be a jiggered switch as well.

GeeYou8
13th February 2018, 08:28 AM
I managed to solder a bridge into the fusible link location on the resistor in my GU2, was still working years later when I traded it in.
Graham

Jim44
28th July 2018, 06:26 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, also trying to seek answers, the fan switch on my Patrol only worked on 4, I assumed that it was the resistor under the glove box, so at a price of $86 I changed it, only to have it fail after less than 2 hours, could this be indicating another fault of the electrical system somewhere else that I have missed? I don't want to have to spend another $86 only to have it blow again

mudnut
28th July 2018, 06:31 PM
The fan could be drawing too many amps or you have bought a dud resistor pack. Pull out the pack and check the resistance with a multimeter.

Check there is no rubbish dragging on the fan.