PDA

View Full Version : Gq Rd28t Speedo issues

mad66
22nd January 2018, 05:41 PM
So my speedo works then doesn't work, went for a rwc today a got pinged for it, works 99% of the time. 95 gq Rd28t anyone had the same issue.

I haven't looked underneath yet and don't even know if it is cable driven or electronic. What is the first thing to check? Cheers

mudnut
22nd January 2018, 07:23 PM
Many things to check, simple things first. The sender is basically an AC alternator driven off the transfer case ( rear top Drivers side of the Transfer case). Open the connector and check that the lugs are clean and the wires in good condition. Clean around the sender and use a spanner to undo it. Get someone to spin the sender shaft while you have a multimeter (set on AC volts) connected to the lugs. It should read a few volts. If all good, refit it and make sure the connector is pushed together properly.

After removing dash surrounds, the cluster comes out of the dash easily. Check all of the looms to make sure the connectors are in good condition. There are a few threads dealing with repairing some common instrument faults.

Threads such as these http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?38587-GQ-dash-cluster-dicky

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27775-GQ-Speedo-reads-overspeed-sometimes

The search function is your friend.

mad66
23rd January 2018, 04:07 PM
Thanks mudnut, that info should sort me out. I did notice that the oddometer didn't work as well when the speedo went down so that suggests to me that the sender from the gearbox may have a bad or dirty connection or maybe faulty. I think I will start there first. Cheers:smiley_thumbs_up:

mudnut
23rd January 2018, 05:33 PM
Failing that, follow the earth wires from the cluster and check they have a good connection to the body.

mad66
24th January 2018, 07:19 PM
I went over a bump today "road work trench" when the speedo was down and odometer down. I was watching and as soon as I had the jolt the speedo went up to 60, so It is a bad connection. havn't had time to have a good look yet.

kbchez
24th January 2018, 09:51 PM
Sounds logical, i have same problem. On off speedo.

mad66
25th January 2018, 05:11 PM
I am going to get stuck into it tomorrow, see how I go.

mudnut
6th March 2018, 10:29 PM
mad66 I am interested in what you have found, so far. I have amended #2 to say the speedo sender is located on the transfer case instead of gearbox.

mad66
17th March 2018, 04:13 PM
To be honest I haven't had time to look at it yet, had a lot going on and couldn't get to it but now I have a chance to see what is going on. I will report back once I have got off my ass and had a look.

kbchez
21st March 2018, 12:17 AM
I had a look at the speedo sender unit grabbed the wires wiggled them. Speedo has been working heaps better. Thats all i have done so far

mad66
16th April 2018, 06:04 PM
I had a look at the speedo sender unit grabbed the wires wiggled them. Speedo has been working heaps better. Thats all i have done so far

Thanks mate good to know. I am about to get of my ass and fix it, will be checking both ends. Cheers

garett
16th April 2018, 06:12 PM
yeah not always the sender and being a nissan its prob the dash. nissan suck at making dashes that work.
had the same thing on my gq, hit the dash and it worked for awhile. when that stopped working i swapped out the dash all good. ( mind you i tested the signal from the sender behind the dash first)
since then i have found out that 1-2 components on the circuit board fail. if i could ever be bothered i should fix my old one.