PDA

View Full Version : Electrical systems shuts off for couple seconds

Lawrence
16th January 2018, 12:10 AM
Hi fellas. I have been having an intermittent problem from last week, where, for a couple seconds, the electrical systems shut down and the come on back again. When it starts, the engine will shut down, but can be turned on back without a problem. After that, the radio, will shut down by itself, as well as any electrcs that are. The battery light will come on for a couple seconds when this happens. What could be causing this problem?

mudnut
16th January 2018, 11:09 AM
Could be any number of things. Make sure the battery and alternator terminals and wiring is secure. Check the wiring loom connectors under / near the steering column. Pop them open and check all the pins and sockets show no signs of heat or carbon. Wiggle the key while the engine is running and use a screw driver handle to tap the the switch and wiring looms too.
Check that the fusible links near the top rear of the battery are fully intact and that their connectors are tight.

In the past, I have found fuses that look okay, but are open circuit or the holder is slightly loose.

There are a lot more things to check, such as the wiring loom to the fuse box in the D/S kick panels. Use a screw driver handle to tap around the fuse panel while the engine is running. If all else is ok then remove the fuse panel and check it has no signs of heat or carbon.

GQtdauto
16th January 2018, 09:17 PM
Hi fellas. I have been having an intermittent problem from last week, where, for a couple seconds, the electrical systems shut down and the come on back again. When it starts, the engine will shut down, but can be turned on back without a problem. After that, the radio, will shut down by itself, as well as any electrcs that are. The battery light will come on for a couple seconds when this happens. What could be causing this problem?

Any chance you have an alarm/immobiliser fitted .

Lawrence
17th January 2018, 05:31 AM
Could be any number of things. Make sure the battery and alternator terminals and wiring is secure. Check the wiring loom connectors under / near the steering column. Pop them open and check all the pins and sockets show no signs of heat or carbon. Wiggle the key while the engine is running and use a screw driver handle to tap the the switch and wiring looms too.
Check that the fusible links near the top rear of the battery are fully intact and that their connectors are tight.

In the past, I have found fuses that look okay, but are open circuit or the holder is slightly loose.

There are a lot more things to check, such as the wiring loom to the fuse box in the D/S kick panels. Use a screw driver handle to tap around the fuse panel while the engine is running. If all else is ok then remove the fuse panel and check it has no signs of heat or carbon.

Thanks Mudnut. I think I'll start with the battery terminall. Seems exttremely dirty and probably needs new wires. From there, I'll check the fuses etc.

Lawrence
17th January 2018, 05:32 AM
Any chance you have an alarm/immobiliser fitted .

Nope, no immboliser/alarm fitted.

GQtdauto
17th January 2018, 07:58 AM
Nope, no immboliser/alarm fitted.

Thanks follow mudrunners advice .

GQtdauto
17th January 2018, 07:59 AM
Thanks follow mudrunners advice .

Ahhhhh mudnut sorry still juiced up