PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Specific Tool KIt

10G
15th January 2018, 06:06 PM
I'm trying to put together a Patrol specific tool kit.

I have 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" sockets of various sizes, open end/ring spanners, multigrips, vise grips, screwdrivers, hammer but am wondering if there are specific things that may be useful to carry?

I'm looking for tools to fix things that may break on a trip and which I don't have. For example, like wheel studs, I'm getting a punch, because I don't have one.

I'm looking for stuff that doesn't come in the normal toolkit. For example, do I need a 14mm deep socket to get to the nut on the overhead foxtail that hangs off the rubber duck near the rear parcel shelf, or a fine pair of extra long pointy nose pliers to remove the plug from the back of the twanger near the kickboard in the rear?

I'm after stuff you have to get specifically to help work on a 2013 Y61 ZD30 Patrol.

Thanks for all & any help.

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2018, 06:09 PM
Hub Socket and a lip seal removal tool is handy. I never go away without the hub socket.

10G
15th January 2018, 06:27 PM
Hub Socket and a lip seal removal tool is handy. I never go away without the hub socket.

Hi MudRunnerTD, thanks for the info.

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/263429194980?rt=nc

4bye4
15th January 2018, 06:31 PM
I carry among other things, a Metrinch socket set. These will as the name suggest work on metric and imperial nuts and bolts, and also rounded and damaged fasteners. I also carry a couple of good quality adjustable spanners, cheap ones will break or not grip properly and good quality vice grips for the mud covered things that come loose under the truck.

10G
15th January 2018, 07:08 PM
I carry among other things, a Metrinch socket set. These will as the name suggest work on metric and imperial nuts and bolts, and also rounded and damaged fasteners. I also carry a couple of good quality adjustable spanners, cheap ones will break or not grip properly and good quality vice grips for the mud covered things that come loose under the truck.

Thanks 4bye4. Glad you explained the Metrinch sockets, I had read about them in other posts, but never looked in to them. I just thought it was a 'hip' time saving way for people to say they carried a metric & an imp socket set ... like I do. Think I'll check 'em out.

VK2FMIA
15th January 2018, 07:24 PM
I carry a 300mm length of pipe that fits over the socket driver handle for a bit more leverage. Handy when used on the tensioner when changing fan belts for example.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

10G
15th January 2018, 07:39 PM
I carry a 300mm length of pipe that fits over the socket driver handle for a bit more leverage. Handy when used on the tensioner when changing fan belts for example.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

Yep, got that covered. Thanks VK2FMIA.

Workshop manuals. It's been decades since I bought one. Back decades ago I can remember one brand was better than another, but I can't remember which was what now. Who makes a good workshop manual? I know I can put it on my laptop, but that doesn't work well when your hands are filthy and you're on your back under the thing.

Thanks again.

the evil twin
15th January 2018, 09:09 PM
For a ZD30 you want a set of Torx bits as well...

Avo
15th January 2018, 10:04 PM
wire,,alway carry fencing wire..well i do...

Clunk
15th January 2018, 11:33 PM
I like to carry a big feckin hammer when travelling with Avo

Avo
16th January 2018, 12:21 AM

and a are we there yet delete button

GeeYou8
16th January 2018, 08:15 AM
I carry a dead-blow hammer after getting a flat and not being able to get the rim off the hub (2013 GU).
Graham

10G
16th January 2018, 09:02 AM
For a ZD30 you want a set of Torx bits as well...

Yep got Torx bits in my socket set, thanks ET.

wire,,alway carry fencing wire..well i do...
Yep, I've got some wire, not fencing wire, but wire. Thanks Avo.

Thanks everyone.

Winnie
16th January 2018, 09:48 AM
Yep, got that covered. Thanks VK2FMIA.

Workshop manuals. It's been decades since I bought one. Back decades ago I can remember one brand was better than another, but I can't remember which was what now. Who makes a good workshop manual? I know I can put it on my laptop, but that doesn't work well when your hands are filthy and you're on your back under the thing.

Thanks again.I have a Gregory's manual for my GQ and it's not bad. The Nissan one is much better though, you may be able to buy a printes copy of it online?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mudski
16th January 2018, 09:56 AM
Yeah I got the Gregorys manual too. Not as much info as the genuine pdf downloadable manual, but easier to navigate through for simpletons like me.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

10G
16th January 2018, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys. Is there anywhere the Nissan manual can be obtained? I always carry my laptop, I can use the book under the car and refer to the laptop when I resurface.

MudRunnerTD
16th January 2018, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys. Is there anywhere the Nissan manual can be obtained? I always carry my laptop, I can use the book under the car and refer to the laptop when I resurface.

It can be downloaded on this forum in many different versions. Click the manuals button below the header.

MudRunnerTD
16th January 2018, 08:44 PM
Hi MudRunnerTD, thanks for the info.

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/263429194980?rt=nc

Yes. Essential. I also carry my Oil filter wrench because it's a great one and would be very helpful for an Oil filter or fuel filter change if needed.

I also have a set of ratchet spanners in Metric. 10mm to 22m. I carry these in a canvas roll. I also carry a 14" shifting spanner in the roll for anything else. Over the years I have added a second spanner in many of the main sizes into the slots because often you need 2 the same size. I think I have 2 each of the following in my roll. 10mm. 12mm. 14mm. 17mm. Handy.

MB
16th January 2018, 09:45 PM
G’day 10G mate! Our awesome old stocky ZD30 never truly went off-road unfortunately & we never smartly packed to suit your top query as blokes above are kindly/better assisting. Years gone by I did use to pack a small ‘blowtorch’ and low temp (4x4 show sucker me in maybe) rods of unknown sorts just in case oneday. Apparently they could temporarily I guess weld up any new age metal parts, rads/IC’s/boxes etc... The one time I thought they would save the day, time poor situation, as you mentioned aboved already, “Long Pointy Nose Pliers” fold and best as possible crimp cores with rad cap off to get home. The unused torch and rods of old could maybe help if it were a forced induction situation possibly mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk