PDA

View Full Version : Radiator replacement cost

PaddyD
15th January 2018, 12:18 PM
Hi

I've been meaning to find myself a good mechanic that I trust to give my Patrol a good service (plus future services) and inspect for other problems that might be creeping up.

Last week I was driving to work and steam suddenly started coming from my bonnet. I pulled over and it seemed to be coming from the radiator. I waited till the engine cooled, added some water to the system and drove the patrol to the closest service centre/mechanic.

The mechanics first diagnosis was that I'd split a main radiator hose that was difficult to get to. I agreed that he should get a full hose kit and replace everything. He quoted $800 for the work. Seeing as my car was already at the shop, I agreed to it without much research, I just needed it back on the road. He called the next day to say that he'd done a pressure test and the radiator itself is leaking too. The old copper radiator that I had, he said would cost about $1200 and labour would be on top of that. He advised that we could do a cheaper radiator, around $500 worth and that with labour to install it he'd charge a total of $1000. Patrol is running great now, $1800 later.

Don't get me wrong I liked the mechanic, I thought he was a good bloke but I think it's just diligent to check whether I was charged fairly for the work and the parts. I don't know a great deal about automotive mechanics but seemed to be able to find a Patrol radiator + hose kit for around $400 online. I want to know whether what he charged is about right (I understand he needs to make a living out of it, and the labour essentially had to be charged twice!). If it is, I'll probably continue to use him.

Thanks
Paddy

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2018, 02:19 PM
what year is your Patrol and What engine? Where are you located.

I recently replaced my Radiator in the GUIV TD42Ti and i think the new one cost me around $450 for a NatRad Copper Radiator and i fitted it myself. I would have expected him to salvage the Brand New coolant and use it again in the car when he dumped it the second time so you should nit have paid twice for that. The system should have been flushed when he did the hoses so it was simply an unbolt, lift out lift in, refill, Bleed and pressure check. seems a bit high to me IMO.

PaddyD
15th January 2018, 02:37 PM
Hi muddrunner

It's a 1991 GQ Y60. I don't know how to get more specific than that. Here's picture of the badge under the hood:

Thanks for the reply. It seems what I dug up was about right. Wish I'd done some research before agreeing to the work.

PaddyD
15th January 2018, 02:38 PM
In Sydney, by the way.

GQtdauto
15th January 2018, 03:07 PM
You've been shafted for sure imo .

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2018, 05:11 PM
Hi muddrunner

It's a 1991 GQ Y60. I don't know how to get more specific than that. Here's picture of the badge under the hood:

Thanks for the reply. It seems what I dug up was about right. Wish I'd done some research before agreeing to the work.

Yeah OUCH!! You have been Robbed mate.!! i was thinking you where going to talk about a 2015 with some spiffy sensor or something! a 91 GQ!! you could drop a motor in it for that kind of money!!

You'd probably find a radiator for $300 and an Hour to swap it over including the cup of coffee and 3 smokes.

the evil twin
15th January 2018, 05:24 PM
$800 for the hose kit and labour is high... the bottom hose just needs the plate removed underneath.
I would have thought under $200 parts ($120 all hoses 1/2 that for Rad hoses only, flush and coolant) and 3 hours.

In fairness he couldn't pressure test until he fixed the hose BUT I would have thought a Rad leak would have been spotted during the hose change out.
$500 is fair for the Rad but $500 labour is high as the GQ Rads come out pretty easy... 2 hours tops

Soooo... seems like he didn't do you any favours at all for labour charges (two lots of 5 to 6 hunjy)

nissannewby
15th January 2018, 06:38 PM
$50- $80 for hoses. 5 min to pull the rad out. Flush everything 30 min. Put it back in with new coolant. 15min. 3-400 for a rad. 700 maybe 800 at a stretch.

PaddyD
19th January 2018, 08:45 PM
Thanks all for confirming what I had suspected. Pity I had no idea. Best form of retaliation I might be able to muster could be a poor google review but even if I don't at least I can go look for a trustworthy mechanic for the future. That's a terrible amount of money to overcharge.

I've been looking at this one, any thoughts?
https://www.totalcare4wd.com.au/

Paddy

dom14
20th January 2018, 01:49 PM
Thanks all for confirming what I had suspected. Pity I had no idea. Best form of retaliation I might be able to muster could be a poor google review but even if I don't at least I can go look for a trustworthy mechanic for the future. That's a terrible amount of money to overcharge.

Paddy

Is yours a diesel, petrol or dual fuel?

dom14
20th January 2018, 01:53 PM

Paddy

Best form of retaliation is DIY(at least for me). My fourby is still with me thanx to DIY. This forum has wealth of information if you're willing to do. On the other side if you don't have time for that include the area you live and local members can suggest a good joint where you won't end up having to sell your house to keep the fourby.

PaddyD
20th January 2018, 02:03 PM
Is yours a diesel, petrol or dual fuel?Petrol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dom14
20th January 2018, 02:17 PM
Petrol

Sydney members will chime in. Give couple of days or so.

PaddyD
20th January 2018, 02:33 PM
Best form of retaliation is DIY(at least for me). My fourby is still with me thanx to DIY. This forum has wealth of information if you're willing to do. On the other side if you don't have time for that include the area you live and local members can suggest a good joint where you won't end up having to sell your house to keep the fourby.Thanks mate, I suppose part of my motivation in buying it was to learn my way around the engine so I guess now is the time!

dom14
21st January 2018, 08:15 AM
Thanks mate, I suppose part of my motivation in buying it was to learn my way around the engine so I guess now is the time!

I'm guessing it's the carby TB42, and perhaps done well over 300k.
Repairs do arrive & it's best not to spend big money as you did with the radiator above.
Do as much DIY as you can and find a good mechanic for the rest.
In my case, everything has been DIY for past few years, but that's somewhat extreme, but I've turn that into
a good hobby.