PDA

View Full Version : 08 gu flickering dash lights

mark89
15th January 2018, 10:23 AM
Gday people, have an 08 gu crd manual wagon. Over xmas I started noticing when first start dead cold has bit of a squeal from engine (fanbelt) but goes away pretty quick. Anyhow last time i drove the car I noticed most my dash lights flickering when at idle or low revs. When im back with the car I'm going to check all battery connections and alternator connections just seeing if anyone has had similar issue so i know where to look if all connections are solid? Thinking alternator may be on way out but not too sure, thanks.

4bye4
15th January 2018, 10:53 AM
Twice I have had all lights flickering and both times it was the alternator. Have it checked ASAP as in my case the regulation failed and cooked the battery as well. If you have a voltmeter, check that the voltage across the battery does not exceed say 13.8 to 14.5 volts, and does not keep climbing with engine revs.

mark89
23rd January 2018, 01:16 AM
Ok so finally got to have a look today, weirdly enough after over 2 weeks without being started it started with no belt squeal however dash lights constantly flickering and tested the voltage on both batteries to 12.4. Is this more than likely an indicator that my alternator has had it?

happygu
23rd January 2018, 08:38 AM
Ok so finally got to have a look today, weirdly enough after over 2 weeks without being started it started with no belt squeal however dash lights constantly flickering and tested the voltage on both batteries to 12.4. Is this more than likely an indicator that my alternator has had it?

Yes ... Check your Battery Voltage with the car running. It should be around 13.8V if it is charging properly

the evil twin
23rd January 2018, 12:21 PM
Alternator
Classic symptoms that you have lost a phase in the Alternator usually due to a failure in the diode pack.
Check the voltage as others have suggested or take it to an Autosparky.

Belt
Belt squeal when cold will be unrelated (well 99% of the time) to the voltage/flicker.
Cold squeal is usually a belt on the way out or poor tension.
Don't use belt lube on a CRD, it may stop the squeal initially but it will come back and worse.

GeeYou8
25th January 2018, 08:59 AM
Alternator

Belt
Belt squeal when cold will be unrelated (well 99% of the time) to the voltage/flicker.
Cold squeal is usually a belt on the way out or poor tension.
Don't use belt lube on a CRD, it may stop the squeal initially but it will come back and worse.
Try a puff of talcum powder as a short term fix. Stop engine before applying.
My GU2 blew a headlight just before alternator died.