PDA

View Full Version : Extra storage capacity

4bye4
11th January 2018, 06:34 PM
Just saw this on the net. Interesting but I'm not too sure on the legality in this country.

"For occasional trips, barbecue parties under the trees of national parks, spontaneous camping, and long out-of-town walks with your pets, you might need just a couple of pieces of innovative car devices.
If the trunk is already full, and you still have a troop of bags that have to go with you, you can attach this roomy car back carrier to the back of your vehicle."

74181 74180
Also not much room for the spare tyre, couldn't get the barn doors open on a Patrol, and would be interesting if you also wanted to tow anything.

Plasnart
11th January 2018, 07:08 PM
Err..no not here I wouldnt think. Need plate illuminated and 45 degree viewing angle to indicators and tail lights i believe.

Think thats why they invented roof racks!

Cuppa
11th January 2018, 09:59 PM
And have to comply to the 60% rule. Overhang behind rear axle must not be more than 60% of the wheelbase.

MB
12th January 2018, 09:53 PM
Cheers Cuppa !
Honestly interested for the 60% rule kindly mentioned for our utes. Is it a tray/body build 60% or say a stick of timber/steel for work up on the racks with a flag taped on?
Quized Vic Roads a few years back and was told flagged +600mm beyond trays end was ok but as we all know their training and advice can vary from smoko to lunch counter query :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
13th January 2018, 11:34 AM
Cheers Cuppa !
Honestly interested for the 60% rule kindly mentioned for our utes. Is it a tray/body build 60% or say a stick of timber/steel for work up on the racks with a flag taped on?
Quized Vic Roads a few years back and was told flagged +600mm beyond trays end was ok but as we all know their training and advice can vary from smoko to lunch counter query :-(

Who am I to argue with VicRoads? ;)

The way I or you interpret the rules may well differ from Mr Plod.

Personally I would consider the 60% rule to cover anything 'fixed' or permanent/semi permanent. Eg. tow bars, bike racks with bikes on etc. However when carrying long timber etc with a flag on, I rely on Mr P giving me the benefit of the doubt because "it looks like I have tried to do the right thing'. I don't reckon that would work for the bag in the pics above.

VicRoads rules (https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjTqqGr0dPYAhXMjZQKHUtWAXAQFggpMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vicroads.vic.gov.au%2F~%2Fme dia%2Ffiles%2Fdocuments%2Fbusiness-and-industry%2Fheavyvehiclerearoverhanglimitsforcarsan dtrucksinvictoria.pdf%3Fla%3Den&usg=AOvVaw1VkRhvtCEGSWFkqinTzJ_-)

mudski
13th January 2018, 11:51 AM
Not to mention the way it's anchored to the roof rack. Those tiny bolts that hold the rack down would surely sheer off because of the unusual direction of force.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Brissieboy
13th January 2018, 03:57 PM
That 60% includes anything and everything; fixed or load; flagged or not. Actually it is 3.7m or 60% but the 3.7m only comes into play with heavy vehicles with their long wheelbase. The 'flag' is part of the oversized vehicle regulations and there are lots of other requirements if you wish to wander down that path.
This sort of thing is heavily policed with trucks, but it is extremely rare to see police or transport pull out a tape on a little one.

MB
13th January 2018, 04:17 PM
Awesome info, thanks heaps blokes!
I’m hoping I’ve got the maths right on my GU ute here:
Wheelbase = 2950mm ish
60% = 1770mm ish
Overhang of tray from center of rear axle = 1500mm ish
So.....I can only carry 270mm ish extended beyond my tray!
Quite the bum steer from the Vic green suit gumbies back then of 600mm flagged “ok” told :-(

the evil twin
13th January 2018, 04:31 PM
deleted linky thingies won't work

MB
13th January 2018, 04:50 PM
Cheers ET mate! I am still struggling though searching Google for your kindly suggested above. All roads keep taking me back to here https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/business-and-industry/heavy-vehicle-industry/oversize-light-vehicles which has the ‘pdf’ download that Cuppa also kindly put up for us http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/82.jpg 1200mm out back would be awesome, just like carrying print outs with me to show the ‘Mansfield’ boys in blue :-)

GQtdauto
13th January 2018, 06:00 PM
My missus reckons it's a handbag for a fourby how cute !

MB
13th January 2018, 06:45 PM
Apologies for thread Hijack again 4bye4 mate!
This Vic pdf download 60% rule honestly still has my little noggin confused blokes :-( Would I be correct in saying that a very long wheel based ute or light truck (say 5,000mm) yet had a legal snubbed off cut tray (say 1,000mm) would be allowed to ‘overhang’ a length of steel (with flag) 2,000mm from trays end?
If correct that seems crazy to me as 2.0m of steel would not only go through a mini bus drivers chest but also passengers behind:-(
Surely there is a maximum ‘overhang’ length here in Vic like WA has found on their ‘MainRoads’ site ? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/84.jpg

the evil twin
13th January 2018, 08:06 PM
I'll try again (God Windows 10 shits me)...

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Loads-and-towing/Projecting-loads.aspx

Qld link explains it best...
"R"
Max overhang including load is 60% blah blah blah.
"PR"
If your wheelbase and rear axle/axle group position mean that the 60% rule maths will allow you to have a load that projects up to 1.2 metres no worries.
If your wheelbase and rear axle/axle group position mean that the 60% rule maths will allow you to have a load that projects over 1.2 metres must have a warning flag/light

Be aware that different states have different rules regarding trailers, the above should be kosher for Vehicles.

Brissieboy
14th January 2018, 01:12 PM
Yep. ET has it correct!! And the 1.2m is for both front and rear projection, measured from the end of the vehicle, not the centre of the wheels as the 'rear overhang' is measured.
Should have mentioned that in the earlier message.
And where there is more than one measurement method (eg 60% method or the 1.2m method), it is always the lesser of the possibilities.