PDA

View Full Version : Tow hitch on big van

AB
10th January 2018, 09:31 PM
Hey blokes, as some of you know I have a big van, 1.9T.

This hitch was given to me with the van as shown below.

Now, it's pretty useless for me as the adjustments is pretty much spot on at max low setting as is same level with my original hitch.

I have used this new hitch and my concerns are the following.

1. It sits out far adding canter weight which I am not confident with?

2. The chains hook up to the hitch rather then the rear bar of the vehicle.

Get rid of it and use the old hitch?

I'm struggling to see any advantages apart from the torsion bars which I am also reluctant to use too???

Also to throw another question in. What the hell do I do with better towing mirrors on a Gq?

I don't think Clearviews are available for GQ and I would love to find portable ones with bigger mirrors or do I have to make something up?

Any help appreciated!http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/74.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
10th January 2018, 10:46 PM
Hey blokes, as some of you know I have a big van, 1.9T.

This hitch was given to me with the van as shown below.

Now, it's pretty useless for me as the adjustments is pretty much spot on at max low setting as is same level with my original hitch.

I have used this new hitch and my concerns are the following.

1. It sits out far adding canter weight which I am not confident with?

2. The chains hook up to the hitch rather then the rear bar of the vehicle.

Get rid of it and use the old hitch?

I'm struggling to see any advantages apart from the torsion bars which I am also reluctant to use too???

Also to throw another question in. What the hell do I do with better towing mirrors on a Gq?

I don't think Clearviews are available for GQ and I would love to find portable ones with bigger mirrors or do I have to make something up?

Any help appreciated!http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/74.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/75.jpg

Same tow hitch I used on the GU pulling 2.5 tonne and apart from some sneaks and groans they are fine , they are adjustable so I'd go with them .
As for mirrors go the Silverado mirror mod because no clearview don't make one for a GQ , just check Silverado mirror in the search bar AB and you can check how I did mine when I cruise over to the Murray on Australia Day .

BillsGU
10th January 2018, 10:57 PM
Most of the squeaks and groans are due to the tow ball coupling. Get a McHitch coupling. They are brilliant!

MB
10th January 2018, 11:15 PM
Evening mate!
I can only comment on your number #2 query.
IMO too trailer chains should not connect to the “hitch” itself yet extend beyond to the chassis/truck. Always best to allow turn length too as in my opinion safety old school chains should be connected opposite/crossed to your truck. This creates a ‘cross chained cradle’ to fall into if ever a “hitch/ball” were to break/undo etc....

jff45
10th January 2018, 11:25 PM
I use the same hitch on my GU with my 2.5t Avan and wouldn’t be without the WDH bars.

The Silverado mirrors are fantastic if you have the time to adapt them to a GQ.

GQtdauto
11th January 2018, 07:41 AM
Evening mate!
I can only comment on your number #2 query.
IMO too trailer chains should not connect to the “hitch” itself yet extend beyond to the chassis/truck. Always best to allow turn length too as in my opinion safety old school chains should be connected opposite/crossed to your truck. This creates a ‘cross chained cradle’ to fall into if ever a “hitch/ball” were to break/undo etc....

I missed this one and mine connected to the towbar not the tow hitch and on that setup it would be difficult to mount the chain on the hitch .

AB
11th January 2018, 08:39 AM
Thanks gents!

Yes MB I know that but the bloody chains are too short.

jff45
11th January 2018, 08:56 AM
Thanks gents!

Yes MB I know that but the bloody chains are too short.

Easy to extend with hammerlocks

GQtdauto
11th January 2018, 09:01 AM
Easy to extend with hammerlocks

Yep only way to go is extend the chains

Rossco
11th January 2018, 11:26 AM
Could weld some longer chains on. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PeeBee
11th January 2018, 11:35 AM
Yep only way to go is extend the chains

Agree, leave the original welding as is unless you have a qualified welder to add the chains and assuming the actual chain attachments look fine now. Select a suitable chain that is rated for the load as the extension piece.