PDA

View Full Version : Engine immobilizer 1997 gq

kbchez
7th January 2018, 11:17 PM
Did the tb efi gq come out with a immobilizer.

Clunk
8th January 2018, 01:36 AM
My 94 one didn't, was aftermarket

PeeBee
8th January 2018, 08:33 AM
My july 1997 didn't have one as standard, fitted one aftermarket by the dealer when I bought it

GQtdauto
8th January 2018, 08:37 AM
Same as Clunk my 94 had one fitted at the dealer .

kbchez
8th January 2018, 10:45 PM
I found one installed. but it not working .
Been looking atvsome on ebay. Do they operate the doors with there remotes. Be good if they do.

GQtdauto
8th January 2018, 10:47 PM
Depends on the system but yes true keyless entry / alarm system .

kbchez
11th January 2018, 12:51 AM
Called into autoone today and enquired about immobilizer for my gq, i was told they must be installed by a qualified installer. Because if it goes over the pits and its not installed by a qualified installer it will not pass the pits.
Therefore why are they sold on ebay for anyone to install. Sounds suss to me.
If i install a keyless system. What happens to the steering lock. I supose it be removed.

GQtdauto
11th January 2018, 10:05 AM
Called into autoone today and enquired about immobilizer for my gq, i was told they must be installed by a qualified installer. Because if it goes over the pits and its not installed by a qualified installer it will not pass the pits.
Therefore why are they sold on ebay for anyone to install. Sounds suss to me.
If i install a keyless system. What happens to the steering lock. I supose it be removed.

Keyless entry not keyless ignition .

PeeBee
11th January 2018, 10:14 AM
If the road police or rego guys are getting down to the level oof central locking I think we are all in trouble - I really doubt that comment from the installer.

kbchez
11th January 2018, 10:59 AM
I'm going on about engine immobilizers. Also push button engine start. Not central locking.
Sorry to confuse you.

GQtdauto
11th January 2018, 11:34 AM
Ah ok but still can't see the problem with roadworthy though

the evil twin
11th January 2018, 11:59 AM
Ah ok but still can't see the problem with roadworthy though

The reason is because under ADR it is illegal to modify the operation of the ignition unless certified.
It is the same reason why 90% or more aftermarket Turbo Timers are illegal and will get you knocked back if (I stress IF) the roadie dude spots it.

kbchez
13th January 2018, 11:48 PM
VL191 form this form must be filled out by a installer approved by the government.
In WA there are additional rules as well.
Regulations gone stupid. Also the Immobilizer must be a government approved type. If you ask me. It's all a load of shit. eBay here I come.

dom14
14th January 2018, 10:42 PM
Bloody hell.........I've had no idea it is 'illegal' to install an immobilizer myself(assuming that's what meant by the above conversations).
So, what is a 'qualified installer'? I guess it meant an auto sparky.