PDA

View Full Version : Wiring loom replaced

kbchez
7th January 2018, 08:51 PM
Hi just spent the best part of 3 days replacing the loom in my gq .

Now i got to find where the engine immobilizer goes or what the old one looks like. I do have one that i removedbut cannot find any info about it. The last owner just put in a flashing diode.

I did find the old central locking. Also i did install another one but need to wire it into my replacement loom.:icon_driving:
I was amazed that everything works except the rear wiper not working. It was not working before.

dom14
12th January 2018, 08:53 PM
What is the reason for wiring loom replacement?

Clunk
12th January 2018, 09:21 PM
Because his original one had a meltdown a while a go

Avo
12th January 2018, 09:36 PM
to make a wig wam for a gooses bridle

dom14
12th January 2018, 11:45 PM
Because his original one had a meltdown a while a go

Figuratively or literally? We're talking about OP's GQ's wiring loom, right?! :)

MB
12th January 2018, 11:49 PM

Now i got to find where the engine immobilizer goes or what the old one looks like. I do have one that i removedbut cannot find any info about it. The last owner just put in a flashing diode.

I did find the old central locking. Also i did install another one but need to wire it into my replacement loom.:icon_driving:
I was amazed that everything works except the rear wiper not working. It was not working before.

......... Bump...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbchez
13th January 2018, 12:20 AM
The old one had burnt wiring , fried, been like that for a while before i brought it. It was caused when the lpg was put in about 12yrs ago. The wiring loom was squarshed then finally melted burnt wires including high beam left side only. I traced the burnt wires to be hind the glove box and still could not find any good wires.

When i was removing the loom i found more fried wires to the distributor. It wad worth the trouble.
M
Now the engine idles much better if not perfect.
Still have speedo stopping issue, and trouble with the auto transmittion inhibitor.
Now what immobilizer do i fit.

MB
13th January 2018, 12:23 AM
@ Dom14 mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dom14
13th January 2018, 01:05 PM
The old one had burnt wiring , fried, been like that for a while before i brought it. It was caused when the lpg was put in about 12yrs ago. The wiring loom was squarshed then finally melted burnt wires including high beam left side only. I traced the burnt wires to be hind the glove box and still could not find any good wires.

When i was removing the loom i found more fried wires to the distributor. It wad worth the trouble.
M
Now the engine idles much better if not perfect.
Still have speedo stopping issue, and trouble with the auto transmittion inhibitor.
Now what immobilizer do i fit.

Yeah, possibly as a result of a previous backyardie LPG conversion job.
I had to learn the hard way to replace and fix 90% of the LPG wiring in mine.
It was absolutely horrendous. 95% of LPG issues I was having were from bad electrical wiring, except having to replace the
Impco model L converter which was way past it's use by time.
Lucky, yours didn't end up as an insurance claim, 'cos they can be that bad in terms of cost of fixing.

dom14
13th January 2018, 01:13 PM

You may find out brand new wiring might save lot of time and headache than trying to locate and fix the old one.
That's what I did with my fuel pump wring/relay related issues. Give direct power to the rear wiper to make sure it's not kaput, then
start from the wiper switch an rewire it if that's easy.
It may be easier to wire up a new immobilizer with central locking. They are fairly cheap if you wanna get a one from fleabay.

kbchez
13th January 2018, 03:39 PM
I been looking at the eBay immobilizer they mostly come with a push start stop buttons. How do you use the steering lock. It's a misstry to me. I would be keeping the key start. Unless there is a electronic steering lock.

dom14
14th January 2018, 08:43 PM
I've never thought steering lock can be electric/electronic. I thought they always have been mechanical.
I'm sure you can build an electric/electronic one, but not sure the effort's worth it.