PDA

View Full Version : Engine Light

fbpatrol
3rd January 2018, 06:10 PM
Hi - wondering if anyone can help with an engine warning light in a 2006 GU patrol.
Two years ago it came on/off periodically and the vehicle would lose speed. Dealership disconnected water? sensor thinking that would fix it. Came on again and they then believed? it needed a new injector pump after connecting to their computer. As it didnt come on for a few weeks we didnt proceed with the $6000? job - this was 2 years ago - it has probably come on twice in this time but caused no problems.
It is now doing it again and losing speed etc and am just wondering how you know if it actually needs replacing or what the problem is (when they dont seem sure?) Sensor still disconnected. Can this be checked?
Fiona

Woof
3rd January 2018, 07:44 PM
Hi mate, may be a good idea to post up an introduction before asking for assistance, just gets everyone on side from the start

fbpatrol
3rd January 2018, 09:39 PM
Ok thankyou - I have done this now :)

Avo
3rd January 2018, 09:57 PM
post count still says 2

Avo
3rd January 2018, 09:58 PM
OI and don't mess with the Dog......this one bites

happygu
3rd January 2018, 11:02 PM
Does it 'fix' itself when you turn the engine off with the key and turn it back on again.

IE: Is normal power restored?

fbpatrol
4th January 2018, 07:36 AM
Well I filled in the rest of my profile? and am just seeking help with the above problem as my husband is in hospital and I am just after some assistance to sort this. I am sorry if I am not following correct protocol?

fbpatrol
4th January 2018, 07:41 AM
Thanks for reply happygu - sometimes it does fix itself as in for 2 years no real problems but other times it comes on again when restarting.

happygu
4th January 2018, 08:13 AM
Thanks for reply happygu - sometimes it does fix itself as in for 2 years no real problems but other times it comes on again when restarting.

I have had the check engine light turn on a couple of times on one of my older Patrols, and it had no effect on the vehicle and the light went out itself - no harm done, and i never worried about it. There are many minor things it could be, from water in the fuel filter, to Turbo slightly Overboosting.

If it does this and it loses speed it is going into limp mode to protect the engine, but if you can turn it off and the power is restored, it most likely won't harm the engine. It is more dangerous from an operational point of view, as you don't want it to go into limp mode whilst pulling out in an intersection, etc

You could try disconnecting the battery for 30 min to clear codes - reset the computer, and see if that helps.

If you want to know what is happening, every time the Check Engine Light comes on, there will be a code logged in the computer associated with that, and there are a few different ways to get this information out of the ECU.
Firstly, Nissan will be able to diagnose through their testing devices ( $200 - $300 ), secondly, you can short out pins on the OBDII Connector, and a code will flash on the dash that can be interpreted ( $ Free ) and thirdly, you could buy something like a Scanguage/Ultragauge/OBDII Reader ( $ 25 - $200 ), which presents the fault in English - easy to read.

fbpatrol
4th January 2018, 06:17 PM
Thankyou for that information - I will disconnect the battery first off before attempting anything else. Not keen on dealership hooking their computer up again as it seemed to give varying answers and 2 years ago it needed fixing when I dont beleive it did after running basically problem free for another 2 years without spending these thousands of $???? That is my dilema. Thanks again for your help - very appreciated!

Dr Gary
6th January 2018, 04:52 PM
The OBDII on the 2006 3.0 DDi is not standard, so need a Scangauge or similar if you want to check the 2006. Pain in the posterior!!

Bigcol
6th January 2018, 07:13 PM
Doggy

Hi mate, may be a good idea to post up an introduction before asking for assistance, just gets everyone on side from the start

fbpatrol

Well I filled in the rest of my profile? and am just seeking help with the above problem as my husband is in hospital and I am just after some assistance to sort this. I am sorry if I am not following correct protocol?

what Doggy is saying is, go to the Introductions , and tell us a little about yourself, hubby, Patrol, what you like doing with it etc
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

it just helps people be nice and friendly etc

we all understand that not everyone is computer literate, but its nice to know a little about people and their car if your trying to help

dont be stressed, but it would be nice - thats all

I could suggest taking the MAF sensor out and cleaning it, but........ dont know enough about your Patrol..........?

fbpatrol
6th January 2018, 08:44 PM
Thank you! The light is now off again after disconnecting battery as per advice.
I am actually nice & friendly and super busy & computer literate and thought I posted a very polite request for help in the correct area. What I like doing is driving my Nissan without an engine light coming on - that is all 😊. I was just seeking advice not new friends - I am too boring for that.

the evil twin
6th January 2018, 11:56 PM
Hiya fbpatrol,

Don't go spending big bucks without a 2nd or 3rd opinion as most of the CEL (check engine light) faults will either reset if the battery is disconnected or are faulty indications.
A "big" fault is usually the CEL accompanied with the Car coming to a halt, blowing a ton of smoke or refusing to start.
That is why it really helps to know what fault codes are showing up.
Dealers will just look up the Nissan Book and if it says "Code 1234 replace fuel pump" thats what they do but the mob here will know a lot of other things to check first if you can give the codes.
I'm assuming your 2006 is probably a 3.0Di so many of the OBD scanners you see advertised, Scangauge etc won't work (needs to be a GU series V with Common Rail engine for them).
Hopefully the guys who know the Di will have the best recommendations.