PDA

View Full Version : Whats my best Tyre Size option?

Joe_dirt2318
30th December 2017, 08:51 AM
G'day good people

just a quick question. I have a 1995 gq coil cab and i have recently given it a 2"lift. I'm due for a set of tyres and I'm not sure whether to get 33" or stay with 31"?
I have 15x8 -22 rims and would also like some feed back about which all-terrain tyres to buy?

Thank you joe_dirt2318:feedback

mudski
30th December 2017, 09:02 AM
33's anyday. But do you do any sort of 4 wheeling? If not and its more a farm ute etc etc, then save the coin and get the 31's. 33's will put a little more strain on the motor too, as there is that little more to turn.

Joe_dirt2318
30th December 2017, 06:33 PM
33's anyday. But do you do any sort of 4 wheeling? If not and its more a farm ute etc etc, then save the coin and get the 31's. 33's will put a little more strain on the motor too, as there is that little more to turn.

yeah its mostly a daily driver but i love getting out in the bush four wheel driving and camping.
and suggestions of tyre brand? I've read good things about the Maxxis AT980 tyres

Bigcol
31st December 2017, 01:31 AM
tyre brand choices are very hard to define

I prefer BFGoodrich, but currently have Khumo............... $$$$$ was a big factor

Cuppa
31st December 2017, 08:30 AM
You said elswhere that you are building the car up for touring.

In my opinion 31" tyres are more suitable for touring , cheaper to run, & easier to replace in remote areas. ( I'd advise switching to 16" rims though - far better chance of getting a replacement in small outback places)

Our vehicle & camper has 265/75 Bridgestone D697's all round. So far we have used them in sand, on corrugations of every colour, rocks, wet clay, a variety of gravel, including the sharp quartz up around Boulia & bitumen, at pressures which have varied between 46psi cold & 18 psi hot, & have not been found wanting. Chosen on price & load carrying capacity. Load carrying capacity is important for tourers which are inevitably heavy - reassuring when in remote parts. Reckon I'd buy them again.

Bigger tyres will use more fuel, & with a 2" lift you don't need the extra clearance they provide for 'adventure touring'. Of course for playing at home, then perhaps you want the max clearance possible, in which case a set of 33" muddies would be the go, but if you're not up for two sets of tyres/wheels to swap between ..........go the 31's.

threedogs
1st January 2018, 04:38 PM
you would be surprised how well BFG ATs will go off road plus youll get a heap of miles from them.
Thats what Im putting on my wagon next, they are quiet and will return good fuel figures.
I will only be getting them in 285s x 16

MB
1st January 2018, 05:01 PM
Hate Coopers & (very early days Kumhos- ‘Now much better/good?’) from personal experiences. Maxxis appear from 1 x highway set awesome. Higher coin but BFG KM1//2s for the scrub/mountains for me and we can’t seem to kill BFG little AT’s on little Nav’s either :-)
33’s for the all rounder win IMHO although that’s a family wagon smart choice she says ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bawag
4th January 2018, 01:57 PM
just got a set of Hankook Dynapro and so far so good, was under $1000 for all 4 and a wheel alignment.

Joe_dirt2318
10th January 2018, 06:04 PM
I ordered a set of BF Goodrich tyres yesterday in 33x12.5r15
I will post a picture when there on
Thanks again guys

Touses
11th January 2018, 01:28 PM
Running 31" BFG AT on the mighty gutlux. Just clocked 80K on them and still meat left. Have the same tyre 33" on the Gq but don't have enough K's on them yet to make a call re longevity.
If they do as well on the bigger, heavier, vehicle BFG have a fan for life in me.

MB
12th January 2018, 11:41 PM
Top choices Touses mate!
Only time I have ever punctured a BFG to date was from its/my poor early choice of sexy looking ‘mag rims’ justified then for brake cooling I think :-( Must have clipped a gutter in the city/scrub then 100kmph heated that crack up?
BFG’s + Steel Rims for me/us always now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe_dirt2318
26th January 2018, 09:50 PM
G'day folks I chose 33" BF Goodrich all terrains it looks great now
Thanks for all the advise :smiley_thumbs_up:

TrollinAround
6th February 2018, 08:04 AM
Looks great. I’ll be looking at new shoes after our road trip on the black stuff to Sydney.