PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust system on 4.2 efi

kbchez
29th December 2017, 10:49 PM
Hi all, just trying to determine how many mufflers are used.
Mine has two.
I do have a problem. The exhaust hangs off the extractors and one mount behind the main muffler, and one on the tail pipe.
On closer inspection i see it should have a mount before the main muffler.
I have looked at the complete system on ebay, to see what mounts are used,
I see they only have one muffler. Now im puzzled. Do they have 2 mufflers or just one.
The repair manual does not tell us how many mufflers they have.
Mine is pre catilatic converter.
Your comments will be of great help.

dom14
30th December 2017, 05:41 AM
I didn't think any of them came with two muffler out of the factory. It must have been from a modification.
Is it possible you may be getting the catalytic converter or the resonator confused as a second muffler?!!

Winnie
30th December 2017, 06:58 AM
Hi all, just trying to determine how many mufflers are used.
Mine has two.
I do have a problem. The exhaust hangs off the extractors and one mount behind the main muffler, and one on the tail pipe.
On closer inspection i see it should have a mount before the main muffler.
I have looked at the complete system on ebay, to see what mounts are used,
I see they only have one muffler. Now im puzzled. Do they have 2 mufflers or just one.
The repair manual does not tell us how many mufflers they have.
Mine is pre catilatic converter.
Your comments will be of great help.All the exhaust systems you see on eBay would are aftermarket and are larger than standard.
From standard my TB42E had a small resonator and a full size muffler. I replaced it with a 2.5" pipe with 1 full size muffler, got a small power gain and it made a lot more noise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kbchez
30th December 2017, 11:56 AM
Defiantly no catalytic converter. The rear muffler I call it. It probably what you are calling a resonator. The resonator would be just to reduce sound, not reducing exhaust
Gas flow.

the evil twin
30th December 2017, 12:05 PM
Wot Winnie said X 2

Every aftermarket system I have seen will not have the 2nd rear muffler.
Nissan call it a "Post Muffler" IIRC but, pffft, just loose the sucker I reckon.
My Efi aftermarket exhaust was single performance muffler and 2.5 inch and seemed to do the job OK

kbchez
30th December 2017, 10:40 PM
Thanks mate, i will one day, just need to get a bit of pipe to replace it.