PDA

View Full Version : From 80series to GU

udm
23rd December 2017, 10:26 PM
Hey everyone, Ulises here, an ex 80 series user, that finally jumped shipped.

Our 1st car in 2004 was a 1990 80Series 4.2lt turbo diesel , 6" lift, locked etc.

And then about 5 years later this happened.

So in 2009 we built this, a 1993 4.5lt petrol/lpg 80Series, again locked etc, but with only 4" lift. Awesome car but i couldnt get over the fact no lpg in remote areas and economy wasnt so great. So we practically stopped using it about 3 years ago, and finally sold it some months ago.

The hunt started about 2 months ago for a GU patrol, and we finally found a one owner mint condition 2003 TD6 Intercooled (factory 4.2lt turbo/intercooler)
As far as i remember, dual batteries, cargo barrier, rear drawers, electric brakes, etc.
It doesnt have a lift , lockers or roof rack.
Lockers we wont be getting as we wont be doing stupid shit with this car this time around lol
Lift we are thinking of only going 2" to keep it simple and hassle free.
We do need to get a roof rack, and are eyeing out the 4wdsupercenter racks.

So what are some of the must do things to modify?
1-I have already been told to watch the pump immobilizer

So let us know what you think of the new to us GU

Cheers

Ulises

AB
24th December 2017, 05:10 AM
Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhuck
24th December 2017, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

mudski
24th December 2017, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the forum bud. In my opinion a front locker is very handy. Even if your not doing the stupid stuff. I just makes some of those low 2nd full noise climbs a 1st low take your time climb. Much safer. But you have so much to do first. Have fun mate.

MB
24th December 2017, 04:30 PM
Welcome aboard mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mc4by
24th December 2017, 05:36 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum

Bigcol
25th December 2017, 12:41 AM
hi and welcome to the forum

nice looking beastie there,personally, I would loose the Alloys and get steel rims - only because a very small % have problems with the Alloys and with wheel nuts

2" lift, roof rack......... pretty much covered it

EGT & Boost Gauges, oil changes every 10K, maybe (m a y b e ) a front locker - debatable............
thats about all you will need

the rest is cosmetics to make it more "yours"

udm
25th December 2017, 08:05 AM
Thank you guys.

I had another quick look under the bonnet and already found a turbosmart boost controller, im finding so much stuff already done to this car, i wonder if its got autolockers too lol
Anyways, i have egt and boost gauges from the red cruiser, so we will be using them. Quickly hooked up the boost gauge and its running 12psi, adjusted it to 14psi and it made it so much nicer to drive.

4bye4
26th December 2017, 10:33 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

TrollinAround
7th February 2018, 07:14 PM
Nice choice. Have you got a rack for it yet?

GQtdauto
7th February 2018, 07:30 PM
Welcome mate and yeah very nice , if your not doing stupid forget the front lockers unless cashed up and Kings racks are ok just make sure it's fixed on right .

udm
7th February 2018, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys, a lot has been happening getting everything ready for the round trip in April, basically Sydney to Ipswich, then Cape York (most likely not because of roads closures) Alice Spring, Flinders Ranges and everything in between, then back to Sydney.

I am still contemplating 2" King springs/Koni shocks and egt/boost gauges install for this trip.

Roof rack and awning were the first things we did.

So many little things were needed (the list just kept getting bigger instead of smaller lol) as getting the tow bar height to match the camper, egr mods, belts and hoses, front recovery hooks, dyno tune, align spotties, stereo and speakers, diff and gear breathers, etc etc etc.

And of course , being a signwriter, the car wasnt complete without these.

And its first test run out of the way.