PDA

View Full Version : To drain or not to drain

Potty
19th December 2017, 07:07 AM
Hi All, After advise I have a y61 2012 3 litre CRD, when filling up yesterday I pickup the wrong pump and added 4.75 litres of 91 octane unleaded to my 95 litre tank, so I filled it up with diesel and went in my way, This equates to around less than 5% of the tank.
I'd did some googling and it advises that CRD diesels should be drained Have spoke to four mechanics who are divided, a couple say just keep adding diesel every 100km. Has anyone had this issue. Cheers TIA

GQtdauto
19th December 2017, 07:12 AM
Mines not common rail but I stuck in about 20 litres and did what you did just filled it up completely and drove it .
You will need to change your fuel filter though .

Maxhead
19th December 2017, 07:43 AM
Personally I wouldn’t stress about it mate.
There have been a few discussions on here on this issue and general consensus is its fine with a few litres of petrol.

................on the road

Hodge
19th December 2017, 08:18 AM
4 litres is bugger all.
I'd be adding half a liter of two stroke to it as well.
And just let it run its course.
Should not even feel it.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

Sir Roofy
19th December 2017, 09:39 AM
Did it to mine acouple of years ago about the same amount it went really well
once it used it up the truck felt sluggish but no dramas

threedogs
19th December 2017, 09:47 AM
wont hurt as others have said but change your fuel filter next fill

the evil twin
19th December 2017, 10:37 AM
snip...
I'd did some googling and it advises that CRD diesels should be drained Have spoke to four mechanics who are divided, a couple say just keep adding diesel every 100km.

The reason for the CRD advice is because of the extreme pump and fuel rail pressure for the Common Rail over a Di.
With such a small amount of Unleaded I wouldn't bother draining but keep topping off with Diesel every 20 litres or so for a while as advised.

Unlike Water which will collect in the bottom of the tank and potentially give the engine a gutful... Unleaded is lighter than Diesel so will tend to float.
Therefore it will possibly concentrate as the fuel level gets lower which is why they suggest topping off the fuel at short intervals for a while.
That will keep the Unleaded getting picked up from the tank well and truly diluted as the fuel slops around and it mixes with the Diesel.

Potty
19th December 2017, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys 😀

Dhuck
20th December 2017, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

4bye4
20th December 2017, 10:12 AM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

Potty
29th December 2017, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome and advise have now done around 1000km filling up every 100km all going Ok so far thanks again. Cheers 🍻