PDA

View Full Version : Gq patrol anti theft protection any good ideas?

mad66
16th December 2017, 08:23 PM
I have been hearing of a few Gq's being stolen of late and one was used in a ram raid. I want to get ideas how to overcome this problem if possible. I realize that if someone wants it bad enough it will be gone but looking for tricks to try and secure my gq. Cheers:210:

GQtdauto
16th December 2017, 09:20 PM
Mine has an alarm system fitted with keyless entry , immobilise's engine even the spare key won't start it unless fob is used but yeah if someone wants it bad enough not sure there is much you can do .
Maybe a satellite tracker will get it recovered quicker .

MudRunnerTD
16th December 2017, 09:31 PM
My GUIV has an after market Alarm with Siren, immobiliser and keyless entry. works great. ther eis a very bright Blue LED that flashes next to teh key when it is armed. Guys that i have done trips with have commented ad how bright it is. Gets the attention. if you where driving passed my house at night or walking passed it parked in teh street at night you would keep walking and find another mark. Great addition.

NissanGQ4.2
16th December 2017, 09:36 PM
I snapped a spark plug off..... farkers can't start it and if they towed it the motor will be no good 2 them anyway *LMAO*

Hodge
16th December 2017, 09:54 PM
Just swap your badges to 3.0 like me and they won't bother then.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

AB
16th December 2017, 11:03 PM
I have taken the ignition fuse out when parking in dodgy areas sometimes along with a club lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dom14
17th December 2017, 07:02 AM
You can add several things to deter the bums.
Obvious and popular thing is to get a good aftermarket immobilizer & an alarm.
The newer ones even come with SMS alert when the alarm goes off.
Hidden, hardwired gps tracker is a good addition.
None of those measures would stop it if the vehicle is worth the trouble of stealing by towing, like a good turbo diesel one.
For that you can employ things like wheel locks.(Of course, vibration trigger alarm systems do come handy).
Driveshaft lock is a good addition against alarm bypass & driving.
Another popular and old solution is a hidden kill switch(es).
It's fun when you add multiple hidden kill switches & even you have trouble starting the car when you momentarily forget about them(it does happen) :)
Adding extra fuses and taking them out when parking in dodgy areas as AB mentioned above is also a good slick solution.

GQtdauto
17th December 2017, 08:55 AM
Personally I think these anti theft devices are the best ever made just not sure why they didn't catch on .

About the fourth clip in .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l8oPVVGYQ40

mad66
17th December 2017, 05:02 PM
Ok thanks fellas, some good ideas there. I forgot to mention it is an rd28t and believe they are easier to pinch than the petrol jobs. I think I will stick my head into the wiring schematic and figure out some kill switch ideas.

dom14
18th December 2017, 02:12 AM
Ok thanks fellas, some good ideas there. I forgot to mention it is an rd28t and believe they are easier to pinch than the petrol jobs. I think I will stick my head into the wiring schematic and figure out some kill switch ideas.

Not necessarily. IP also has electrics going in and out of it, I think. You can always come up with creative ways to install and hide a kill switch. It's not the kill switch that does the job, rather the stealthy way you place it. There are ways to fool an even a seasoned auto sparky. ;)

dom14
18th December 2017, 02:18 AM
Personally I think these anti theft devices are the best ever made just not sure why they didn't catch on .

About the fourth clip in .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l8oPVVGYQ40

I have a vague memory of mate's girlfriend's dad performing the role of the trunk monkey, long long time ago. ;)

mad66
18th December 2017, 06:23 PM
I am not sure if this is standard but there is a little red led just where the ignition switch is a mate recons it could be aftermarket security. if you turn over the motor straight away it won't start. You need to turn the ignition to on for about 15-20 seconds then turn over and it starts. Not sure if this is to do with the a glow plug timer or not. any ideas.

dom14
19th December 2017, 05:12 AM
I am not sure if this is standard but there is a little red led just where the ignition switch is a mate recons it could be aftermarket security. if you turn over the motor straight away it won't start. You need to turn the ignition to on for about 15-20 seconds then turn over and it starts. Not sure if this is to do with the a glow plug timer or not. any ideas.

Not sure. Diesel folks here would know how to answer that question better.
I think the red LED you mentioned above is the glow plug delay indicator rather than an immobilizer.

There are blinking LEDs that you can wire up with or without a resistor, depending on the LED max reverse voltage. Pretty handy as it fools anybody that there is an alarm system installed in the vehicle when it is not.
Wire it up with the alternator trigger wire(white with red stripe usually).
You need at least a 500 ohm resistor(at least 0.5W) along with the standard 2v blinking LED.
All can be purchased under five bucks from Jcar Electronics or order online from ebay.

Use the below diagram if you are interested. The diagram is from typical alternator wiring.
Get at least two LEDs in case one ends up cooked. I think 1k ohm resistance is the safe range, rather than 500 ohm 'cos some LEDs
can't handle reverse voltage anymore than 1.5v or so.

Auto electrickery wizards here let me know if I need to correct the values or the diagram. :)

threedogs
19th December 2017, 10:49 AM
Tie a pit bull to the steering wheel, or get a pir light [motion]
that will come on and hopefully deter the grubs, still go the Pitbull lol

mudnut
19th December 2017, 11:32 AM
This'll do it for ya. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39o6eSI06Y

Most devices fitted are to stop "The Novice Thief." If they really want your vehicle, the professionals will take it regardless.

I have toughened up the the steering column wiring loom so that it takes a hell of a lot more than a pocket knife and pliers to access the wires.

It has the draw back of making it harder to work on, but I can live with that.

dom14
19th December 2017, 04:54 PM

Most devices fitted are to stop "The Novice Thief." If they really want your vehicle, the professionals will take it regardless.

Why not make it super hard by implementing all kinda stealthy electrickery!?!? :)

I have toughened up the the steering column wiring loom so that it takes a hell of a lot more than a pocket knife and pliers to access the wires.

You covered it entirely with epoxy??!! :)

mad66
19th December 2017, 05:33 PM
Tie a pit bull to the steering wheel, or get a pir light [motion]
that will come on and hopefully deter the grubs, still go the Pitbull lol

pittbull lmao, that would work but might attract some unwanted attention lol. I do have some pir sensors but can be a pain in the ass to set up.

mad66
19th December 2017, 05:38 PM

That is it just what I have been looking for:smileyvault-cute-bi:smileyvault-cute-bi:smileyvault-cute-bi. But smoking bodies in the car park might also attract unwanted attention.:sterb032:

threedogs
20th December 2017, 10:51 AM
Just read a story of a lady from Glen Iris had her Merc [late model] stolen,
it turned up in Dubai still with the vic plates on it

mudnut
20th December 2017, 11:17 AM
Straight into a container, on a ship and out of the country. This is what we suspect happens to the stolen Patrols, too. At least they arrested someone here for it.

dom14
20th December 2017, 04:58 PM
Straight into a container, on a ship and out of the country. This is what we suspect happens to the stolen Patrols, too. At least they arrested someone here for it.

I would like to read about it. Do you have any links?
I know there are organized criminals in the department of stealing vehicles, particularly in Melbourne and Sydney, but didn't know they are getting shipped out overseas.

mudnut
20th December 2017, 06:12 PM
I would like to read about it. Do you have any links?
I know there are organized criminals in the department of stealing vehicles, particularly in Melbourne and Sydney, but didn't know they are getting shipped out overseas.

Edit link removed

dom14
20th December 2017, 08:37 PM
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=melbourne+weather&oq=&aqs=chrome.2.69i58j0i66l3j5i66l2.227296j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What??!!! I wasn't questioning about Melbourne weather!!! :D

dom14
20th December 2017, 08:39 PM

Googling about, I found this.
https://www.3aw.com.au/you-wont-believe-where-a-car-stolen-in-glen-iris-was-found/

mudnut
20th December 2017, 10:01 PM
How the hell did that happen? This is the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5193505/Mercedes-car-stolen-Melbourne-bizarre-place.html

dom14
21st December 2017, 07:16 AM

What is interesting to find out is what will happen to the involved thieves in Dubai. I know what happens to them in Saudi Arabia.

dom14
21st December 2017, 07:18 AM
How the hell did that happen? This is the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5193505/Mercedes-car-stolen-Melbourne-bizarre-place.html

Obviously far more organized & sophisticated than I wanted to believe, yet stupid enough to leave the Victorian number plates on it in Dubai. Probably an indication these thieves are fundamentally stupid, regardless of their street smartness.