PDA

View Full Version : Zd 30 using a cup of water a day ?

Pipa
10th December 2017, 11:47 PM
Hi guy’s an girls
I have a GU 2000 model that is using about a cup of water a day running around town , have had pressure test done an radiator test done . an come back all clear , have resently replaced inter cooler an installed a catch can witch is filling up with water after running around for a week approximately 500 mm water , no water in oil . Any ideas what could be the problem?

BillsGU
11th December 2017, 10:25 AM
Looks like a blown head gasket or a cracked head.
Do bubbles appear in your plastic header tank?
Never heard of water in a catch can before.
Get a TK test done. It will tell you if exhaust gasses are getting into the water.

4bye4
11th December 2017, 03:22 PM
Never heard of water in a catch can before.
Get a TK test done. It will tell you if exhaust gasses are getting into the water.
Yes sounds a bit weird. I guess if water was getting from the jacket into the sump it could boil off and get distilled in the catch can. Strange one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the evil twin
11th December 2017, 04:07 PM
Agree with above posts ^^^^ not a 'common' issue and also not a desirable one.

I don't think the water is getting to the sump and distilling tho, the 'free' water would be under the oil and to make a cup a day and not emulsify in the oil when running would be really weird.

Obviously somehow the water must be getting into the breather if it is lost from the coolant and found in the Catch can.
That sorta sounds like a cracked head from water jacket to atmosphere to me

4bye4
11th December 2017, 04:34 PM
Agree with above posts ^^^^ not a 'common' issue and also not a desirable one.

I don't think the water is getting to the sump and distilling tho, the 'free' water would be under the oil and to make a cup a day and not emulsify in the oil when running would be really weird.

Obviously somehow the water must be getting into the breather if it is lost from the coolant and found in the Catch can.
That sorta sounds like a cracked head from water jacket to atmosphere to me

Interesting. If that is the case you will have no indication with a compression test or testing the water for hydrocarbons.

the evil twin
11th December 2017, 05:36 PM
Interesting. If that is the case you will have no indication with a compression test or testing the water for hydrocarbons.

Yeah, hope the OP keeps us in the loop as too what the outcomes of this problem turn out to be... will be the first ZD to have water contaminated MAF instead of oil...

mudnut
11th December 2017, 08:41 PM
Not a water-cooled turbo is it?

Pipa
12th December 2017, 12:24 AM
No bubbles, no water in the oil eather? Turbo is water cooled and can’t find any leaks also EGR has a water line , if water was leaking from EGR valve it would avaparate in to exhaust ?

mudnut
12th December 2017, 08:46 AM
Since you have pressure tested the system, and no leak was found, I think there is a crack or warp in the turbo, which is opening up when hot, letting water into the into the intake. Looking at catch can diagrams, I could be wrong though.

Years ago, our Fairmont was using water and we pressure tested the system multiple times. It was left for ages pressurised, but no leak was detected.

It turned out that the water cooling jacket under the carby was warping when hot, allowing water to spray into the inlet manifold.